Skip to content

Mods are breaking my weapon proficiencies and I can't figure out the problem

FringewareFringeware Member Posts: 29
edited May 2016 in BG:EE Mods
I'm using BWS to install a whole pile of mods into my BG:EE game. Just to cover some bases, my install is not in program files, and I using the most recent patch, and UAC is off.

The mods mostly work, but certain weapons categories behave strangely. They act as if the wielder has one (and only one) pip invested in them. This is true for both the PC and NPCs. You don't get penalties if you don't have any pips, but you also don't get any hit, damage, or extra attacks for multiple pips. It's very annoying!

Weapon categories that are affected (list is probably not exhaustive):

Morningstars
Throwing knives (but not normal melee knives)
Throwing axes (but not normal melee axes)
Darts
probably some others

Bows and crossbows work fine, swords work fine, hammers and maces work fine, but the weapons listed above don't work. It's not specific to a particular instance of weapon, either. I've tested multiple morningstars, knives, etc, including some of the uniques, and they all share the problem.

I do not have this problem when using an unmodded game.

I have been slowly wiping and cleanly installing my game, applying less and less mods, trying to find the problem. At this point, I have removed ALL gameplay related mods. The only ones left are the basic tools that you need to make other mods work:

BiG World Fixpack
Big World Installpacl
EE Keeper
Generalized Biffing
WeiDu

These are basic things that everyone uses, and I can't find anyone else having this problem. What am I doing wrong? There aren't any more mods to cull!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FringewareFringeware Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2016
    That is what I am doing. Each time, I wipe my old game, reinstall fresh, do a quick check to make sure the base game is behaving normally, and then install the mods. Each time I do this, I install fewer and fewer. I am now down to the basic general tools, the ones that BiG World setup won't even let you not use, and I am still getting the problem.

Also, I do know what each mod does and why I want it on there. I've put a lot of hours into this. I'm not selecting these things at random. I'm totally lost as to how this proficiency corruption is happening or why it is so weirdly specific. Is anyone else getting this problem?
    Ah ha! Got it!

It required a full wipe of the entire freaking disk, but the problem is gone, even with my full list of preferred mods installed. I have no idea what the issue was, and don't even care anymore. I wish I could provide some better feedback about the problem, but it's apparently solvable if you are willing to resort to nuclear-scale measures.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The problem came up again, but I have more experience with BWS now, so I was able to narrow it down. It's being caused by one of the three "Big Mods," either the Drizzt Saga or Dark Side of the Coast. Dark Horizons seems to behave fine. I suspect that one of these mods had trouble getting ported to BG:EE. That would explain the weird nature of the errrors.

I'd narrow the problem down more, but it takes about half an hour to do a wipe/reinstall, and I just want to play the damn game already.