Skip to content

Mod Idea: Custom Paperdolls

ReddbaneReddbane Member Posts: 222
For the longest time I never played with a male Wizard that wasn't dual or multi-classed to something else, so I was quite surprised when i finally decided to use the animation set and discovered that my Wizards paperdoll had a beard. Apparently all wizards have beards. This got me really wanting a seperate wizard paperdoll thatI could access in eekeeper that didn't have a beard. And then I began to wonder, why haven't more people been making custom paperdolls. I know its all but impossible to make new human and demihuman in-map sprites because the original 3d assets are lost, but it would seem relatively easy for someone artistically inclined (unlike myself) to create new paperdolls or at least edit the old ones in photoshop. A beardless wizard is just one of the ideas; What about custom sprites for NPCs? What if you edited a custom version of the fighter sprite for Minsc that actually made him bald and used the hair color option for his tatoo, what about giving Anomen, Keldorn, Valygar, Yoshimo, and Sarevok their beards, what about giving Mazzy and Valygar their braids, what about giving Cernd his feather, what about giving Jan his goggles, What about giving Rasaad, Haer'Dalis, Aerie, and Cernd their tattoos?

Comments

• UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    Unless I'm mistaken there is no way to change the base inventory image of an animation via an op code. That would mean each altered version would occupy its own animation slot which might not be the best use of those slots even if there are quite a few left right now.

You could get crafty and try to achieve something similar by giving each character you want to alter an item with a custom inventory overlay that covers the parts of the base bam you want to alter but even then I'm not sure there is a point to all of this. In the end you would only shift the discrepancy between portrait and sprite/inventory to portrait/inventory and sprite.

Overall it looks like a lot of work for very little gain and I doubt you'll find someone willing to do that for you. If you're interested in doing it yourself the following tools for .bam editing might be of interest to you: BamWorkshopI, BamWorkshopII (II isn't necessarily better than I in all aspects), DLTCEP, NearInfinity. If you google "bam editing + tool name" I'm sure you'll find some tutorials to get you started.
  • ReddbaneReddbane Member Posts: 222
    @Ulb
    Is there a limit to how many Avatar Appearances sets you can access in EEkeeper? To be clear what I'm proposing is not to add to the original sets, but add whole new sets, such as has been done by Extended Animations or Sentrizeal, that use the same map sprite animations as the old sets, but have a custom paperdoll. If I rember correctly there is some president in the series, as before the enhanced editions Imoen had here own animation set separate from the standard thief that had a unique paperdoll.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Sentrizeal's work replaces vanilla models rather than using empty slots.

Imoen has never had a unique animation. She always used the standard thief avatar, which originally lacked the hood when unarmored. It was 1pp which created the current hooded avatar that all thieves use.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    @Reddbane
    There are only a limited amount of animation slots that can be used for new animations, yes. I'm not sure how many there really are though, you can check out the Extended Animations thread here on the forums, there should be a list with working slots (myself and some others have already “reserved” some of those slots further down in that thread).
    Assuming you had your paperdolls ready, adding them as a new animation with an existing sprite would be very simple.