Skip to content

Where are Lilacor's lines?

rw1954rw1954 Member Posts: 24
Does anyone know where the text files for Lilacor's random comments are located (dialog file name)? I also can't find some of the non-quest journal entries. Are they all in the same file, and if so, any idea which one?

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Lilarcor's dialog file is SW2H14.DLG. Random comments are triggered by the global BALDUR.BCS script (or BALDUR25.BCS in ToB).
  • rw1954rw1954 Member Posts: 24
    You're right. There are some lines of Lilacor dialog in the SW2H14.DLG file, and the random comments are triggered by the BALDUR.BCS script, but my question is this: Where are the text files for the random comments? Those lines of dialog aren't included in the SW2H14.DLG file, and I haven't been able to find them using any search options (dialog, creature, item, script...). I'm still learning about editing dialog, and any assistance would be appreciated.
    edited May 2016
    The text itself is always stored in the dialog.tlk. The respective lines are specified in various game resources as numeric values (aka string references or strrefs) which refer to the text entries in the dialog.tlk.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    You need to use NearInfinity or DLTECP to explore the dialog.tlk. All Infinity Engine games use the same idea.
    You have *.DLG files, which are added to the dialog.tlk. (The dialog.tlk is touchy, so use WeiDU to edit DLG files -- don't just edit DLG files yourself and expect it to work. That's a good way to mess up the dialog.tlk) Those files are added to the dialog.tlk, where a strref points to the text itself.

Sidenote: This use of the dialog.tlk persisted even in NWN1/2, which use a different engine.
    Yes, I know the text files are located somewhere in the dialog.tlk file, and I know that each line of dialog has a string reference. Again, my question is this: how or where do I find Lilacor's randomly generated lines? I need to know the file name or how to acquire it. SW2H14.dlg contains the non-random dialog for Lilacor. I'm trying to find out which file contains the randomly generated dialog (about 50 lines?). Up until now I've been able to identify dialog text files that have cryptic names by searching "creature" data (each creature's game name is given in parentheses, making it possible to identify the dialog file associated with it). I've also had some success identifying dialog files by tracking their string references (difficult but I get lucky sometimes). With regard to Lilacor, however, nothing I've tried has worked. I know there are more lines than the ones in SW2H14.dlg, but I just can't find them. Can anyone help me out here?

PS - With regard to editing dialog.tlk, I appreciate the heads up, but I've changed about five hundred lines of dialog so far using DLTCEP, and I haven't had a single problem. I understand my limitations, so I'm only changing the text, and the game seems to accept these changes with no problem. My only serious obstacle so far has been the cryptic file names, which sometimes make it hard to figure out which dialog file contains the lines I want to change. If someone could help me with that, I'd be most grateful.
    As already mentioned Lilarcor's random comments are triggered in the global BALDUR.BCS script (or BALDUR25.BCS in ToB). Search for lines starting with "DisplayStringHeadOwner("sw2h14"". The numbers in the script actions are references to the strings in the dialog.tlk.
    Okay, I think I understand the concept, but how do I open the BALDUR.BCS file? Using the "open with DLTCEP" option doesn't work, and I can't figure out how to access the file any other way.
    You can open scripts with Near Infinity. Another option is to decompile them with the command line tool WeiDU.
    Oh, wait, I get it. I can open the .BCS files with the edit script option. So I tried your suggestion and searched BALDUR.BCS for any strings associated with "SW2H14," and it worked! I'm not sure if I found all of Lilacor's random dialog lines (a few still seem to be missing), but I did find most of them, so... Thanks!