Skip to content

Jon vs. Raistlin

I saw a thread about Drizzt and Jon who would win. It seemed to me a pretty obvious outcome. But it got me thinking to other iconic D@D characters. I wonder who would win out of Raistlin (Right before he became a god) and Jon (At the height of his power)

Thoughts

Comments

• DurendalDurendal Member Posts: 32
    It's been a while since I've read the Dragonlance books, and admittedly I never read past the Twins Trilogy, but I'd have to give it to Raistlin. Jon is a very powerful mage, but even at the height of his power was defeated very soundly by a weakened* Bhaalspawn and their companions.

Raist, on the other hand, fights Takhisis to a standstill and very nearly wins. If he had, he would have usurped her and taken her place as one of the prime gods of the setting, and head of the dark pantheon of Krynn. Now, I can't remember the details of the fight, but in my mind nearly succeeding a primordial deity of darkness and evil is a more noteworthy task than capturing a few skilled and famous, but mostly** mundane mortals.

*The Bhaalspawn had their soul ripped out, and has to give up a part of themselves in Spellhold during one of the dreams, IIRC.

**When Jon captures Charname, they're still mostly un-awakened.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Agreed. Irenicus isn't quite on the same level. His power is still contained fairly locally, and not moving on divine scales just yet.

Unless, I suppose, you count Irenicus the Shattered One as a canon incarnation? Then we're getting closer, but probably also not quite there.
  • KorbuKorbu Member Posts: 61
    Drizzt tends to get his ass kicked by Mages.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Durendal said:

It's been a while since I've read the Dragonlance books, and admittedly I never read past the Twins Trilogy, but I'd have to give it to Raistlin. Jon is a very powerful mage, but even at the height of his power was defeated very soundly by a weakened* Bhaalspawn and their companions.

Raist, on the other hand, fights Takhisis to a standstill and very nearly wins. If he had, he would have usurped her and taken her place as one of the prime gods of the setting, and head of the dark pantheon of Krynn. Now, I can't remember the details of the fight, but in my mind nearly succeeding a primordial deity of darkness and evil is a more noteworthy task than capturing a few skilled and famous, but mostly** mundane mortals.

*The Bhaalspawn had their soul ripped out, and has to give up a part of themselves in Spellhold during one of the dreams, IIRC.

**When Jon captures Charname, they're still mostly un-awakened.

Raistlin DOES win that fight, altough by luring Takhisis into a "trap" (luring her into Krynn before she can wield all her power).

It is when his brother returns fron the future and lets Raistlin know about what happens after Raistlins win when Raistlin sees his folly and makes things different (he doesnt lures Takhisis into the "trap", losing the fight)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    If all mages are confined to use the same spells, casting them at usually the same speed and with the same limitations etc, how does one even measure "strenght" in a mage vs mage fight?
    They will use mostly the same protective spells, the same offensive/breach like spells, and the same damage/powerwords spells. Some spells rely on level ofc, like different kinds of dispelling and damaging spells, so should power/strenght be measured as character levels? Then it should be easy enough to say who's stronger - the one with the highest level. Or is there some other way to say who's stronger that isn't just purely subjective and emotionelly driven?

@Skatan: is that not grossly understating the skill aspect? Just because you have the same tools doesn't mean you build the same thing. Otherwise what would be the point of things like sports, where everyone is using the same equipment but obviously not achieving the same results.

@Skatan: is that not grossly understating the skill aspect? Just because you have the same tools doesn't mean you build the same thing. Otherwise what would be the point of things like sports, where everyone is using the same equipment but obviously not achieving the same results.

@Lord_Tansheron; perhaps my post was unclear, but I'm not really understating anything; I posted it as a question because I am curious how the strenght of a mage is measured outside subjective and emotional reasonings.

So, Irenicus is tapping into the tree to sap it's power, but what will he be able to actually do with that power? Does he get more spell slots, a higher caster level, more spells, NEW spells, faster casting speed or what?

(Sorry if I am derailing the thread, but I'm just curious what you guys think if this. I can create another thread about this if the OP or a mod thinks I'm stepping outside the topic. )
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Hard to determine this battle - it would largely depend on at what point Raistlin would be having this battle.

At the height of his power Raistlin (just before challenging Takhisis) would win - being able to challenge a god is something not taken lightly and Jon is unable to do this - although he has designs on becoming a god that is very different from challenging one on its own plane which Raistlin did quietly successfully - and for those that read the series (time of twins) knows he does ascend to become the new dark god of Krynn - actually to become the only god of Krynn in the end - something that Jon would not be able to do.

Even before challenging Takhisis - Raistlin as the Master of the Tower was a force to be reckoned with - with his powers he left burnt finger prints in his apprentice (Dalamar) that would never heal - probably one of the scenes I most remember from the book - which showed just how powerful he had become. Now at this point before his time travel adventures he is powerful beyond belief - it is somewhat hard to imagine Irecenus being that powerful (as my PC is not that powerful and we (the party of 6) took him down but then again we didn't face him in a mage battle). Raistlin before his time travel adventures and Jon at his height would be a challenging battle - not sure who would win in the end but Raistlin does have the staff of the magi and Jon doesn't but then again Raistlin does have that horrible cough still at this point while Irenicus is healthy.
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    Durendal said:

Now come on, there is a big difference between a one on one battle and a six on one battle.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Stevevdl said:

Now come on, there is a big difference between a one on one battle and a six on one battle.

At the end of the Chronicles trilogy Raistlin almost casually takes on dozens of Thakisis' highest clerics and the higher ranking members of the black robes, using many spells I have not seen the equivalent of in the pnp rules, forcing many of his opponents to use wish spells to escape.

I seem to recall Dragonlance having a much lower play level, but I also recall wish spells being rather high level, so maybe it balances out.

That said, when he defeated Takhisis I don't recall him casting any spells at her. He mostly taunted her to leave the abyss in her true form, stepped in as she left and locked the door behind her.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I think @Skatan brings up a good question. How exactly do you measure a mages power?

As an example, we have quite a few super powered archmages running around during the time frame of the games. Elminster, Khelben Blackstaff, Jon, Gromph Baenre, Alustriel Silverhand...all extremely powerful. How do we measure their strengths and compare them in an X vs Y matchup?
    @Pteran: How do you measure ANYONE'S power? How do you measure a Fighter's or a Ranger's? It's a complex mixture of tools, experience, intelligence, creativity, and so on. Hardly something you can distill down to one objective value (or even a few), and almost definitely not something you can rely on absolutely. Great women and great men have been known to fall to vastly "inferior" enemies.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    This topic makes me realize I REALLY need to grab the books. I know nothing of what's being talked about, almost as little of the Dragonlance setting, and so-on and so-forth.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @Lord_Tansheron That's kind of the point of my question. Can you objectively measure someone's power when there are so many variables that go into the equation? Seems like stats and levels is about the only way, and as has been said that isn't a perfect way to measure.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, simply asking if there was an objective criterion by which we could measure these characters. I know nothing about Dragonlance or how the characters and gods there rank in power. This Raistlin guy apparently ascended to godhood, but does that automatically mean that (in his mortal state) he'd beat every challenger to come his way? Jon certainly tried his best to ascend, and he nearly succeeded. So did Amelyssan.

In the "Exceptional Strength" thread people were talking about how a character with higher strength should always win a contest of strength, such as an arm wrestling match. But as you pointed out it's more complicated than pure stats alone. The guy with 18/70 Strength might be inexperienced with the tactics of arm wrestling (for example, he doesn't keep his arm close to his body, lowering the amount of power he can put into the struggle), allowing a more well versed 16 Strength character to defeat him. Said 16 Str guy continues to face challengers of varying skill, beating them with his knowledge of the game. But after a half hour of matches, his strength is drained and a relatively low strength challenger comes along (13 Str). The new guy is definitely weaker on paper, but he's fresh and full of energy which allows him to outlast and beat the 16 Str guy.

Going back to the mage discussion, I think that experience in battle is going to be a large determining factor. Raw intelligence or power doesn't mean as much when you don't know how to use it, or how your enemy might use theirs. That's why discussions like these are interesting to so many of us. Maybe there really is no good objective way to measure power. Maybe it really does just come down to the subjective. "In this book Wizard A did this and beat Big Bad X." "Well in this other book Wizard B used this strategy to defeat Monster Y." "You're both wrong, Wizard C would crush them all. They can do X and Y, which the other two would have no way to counter."
    edited May 2016
    Pteran said:

simply asking if there was an objective criterion by which we could measure these characters

No.

Hence this discussion. It's a matter of opinion, not a question of finding the right combination of variables to yield a definitive answer. You can argue for whatever you like, as long as you argue well; what you use in your argument is up to you, and practically anything you can think of.

These discussions aren't about a result, they're about an inspiring process. People read what other people think, and their opinion is shaped alongside it. In the end, they get not THE answer, but perhaps THEIR answer.

Pteran said:

simply asking if there was an objective criterion by which we could measure these characters

No.

Hence this discussion. It's a matter of opinion, not a question of finding the right combination of variables to yield a definitive answer. You can argue for whatever you like, as long as you argue well; what you use in your argument is up to you, and practically anything you can think of.

These discussions aren't about a result, they're about an inspiring process. People read what other people think, and their opinion is shaped alongside it. In the end, they get not THE answer, but perhaps THEIR answer.
    Well, I still haven't got my answer, and maybe never will. You seem quite opposed to the idea of even trying to find a measure of "power" for a mage though, @Lord_Tansheron, why is that?

How do you measure ANYONE'S power? How do you measure a Fighter's or a Ranger's? It's a complex mixture of tools, experience, intelligence, creativity, and so on. Hardly something you can distill down to one objective value (or even a few), and almost definitely not something you can rely on absolutely. Great women and great men have been known to fall to vastly "inferior" enemies.

The answer is quite simple actually, you measure a warriors power through stats: THAC0, damage, AC, damage reduction, buffs and other abilitites. The one with the highest and most, will most likely win. It's very easy to reduce the level of emotional subjectivity from such am equation. Then of course you can add in roleplaying elements, such as the environment in which the fight occur, the physical state (one is fatigued, the other one isn't), the items they weild etc, but again that can be done while still being fairly rational.

But then we come to the issue of mages and their power.
    @Skatan: Not sure I understand you correctly. If you distill down a Fighter to metrics of THAC0, AC, etc., why not similarly distill down a mage to metrics of Spell Levels, Spells Memorized, etc. Both are incomplete and superficial representations of individual "power".

@Skatan: Not sure I understand you correctly. If you distill down a Fighter to metrics of THAC0, AC, etc...

Because no fighter can completely counter another fighter in the way that mages can counter other mages. Two fighters will attack eachother, the one with better THAC0/AC/DR/HP/HLAs will most likely win. There's no skills and abilities really that can change the course of the battle (if we are talking about vanilla fighters).

... why not similarly distill down a mage to metrics of Spell Levels, Spells Memorized, etc. Both are incomplete and superficial representations of individual "power".

When two mages battle they are both limited to the same repertoire of spells, and can buff themselves and debuff the opponent in a very similar manner. As you may have seen above, I asked an open question if indeed the power of mages could be boiled down to just that; their number of spell slots, the alacricity etc. Allow me to quote myself:
    "If all mages are confined to use the same spells, casting them at usually the same speed and with the same limitations etc, how does one even measure "strenght" in a mage vs mage fight?
    They will use mostly the same protective spells, the same offensive/breach like spells, and the same damage/powerwords spells. Some spells rely on level ofc, like different kinds of dispelling and damaging spells, so should power/strenght be measured as character levels? Then it should be easy enough to say who's stronger - the one with the highest level. Or is there some other way to say who's stronger that isn't just purely subjective and emotionelly driven?
    "

To ME it seems easier to use quantative measurements to value a warrior-type's power than a mage's, hence my question to begin with. But nevermind then, I guess this is a dead-end and I should just stop talking since noone else have really jumped in either.
    Excellent Reply @fringeware! That was EXACTLY what I was after! I wish I could award You with more than just one insightful.