Skip to content

What do you think are the "best" items to carry from BGEE to SoD?

So, I'll confess I haven't finished SoD yet, but am thinking about what gives a party from BGEE the best chances of success.

I was wondering then, for a generic party (depends on the classes you have of course), which items really turn the tables in SoD (or even break the balance) for combats? People have mentioned some of the items from Durlag's Tower make a big difference, but are there any things that really should come through for any party?

I'm assuming that BG2EE picks up on items carried from the last export in SoD, so a certain pair of pants will be very useful?

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Any +3 weapons.
    Purudayared_codec
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2016
    Spiders Bane+web spell which was surprisingly useful for someone like me who never really bothered with that spell before..Stock up on Wands of fire as well as there are a ton of crowded mobs, a lot of trolls and some dread wolves who apparently need fire damage to be killed permanently as well(not sure if that was a bug or not)
    deltagoMr2150
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    Gauntlets of Dex, Gloves of Ogre Strenght, Cloak of Prot. +2 (Ring and Amulet are available in SoD IIRC), Periapt of Proof against Poison (once it actually protects against it...), Baldurans Cloak/Helmet/Armor and the already mentioned Spiders Bane as well all +3 weapons.
    And all Arrows of Detonation to experience the other side of playing a tank. And probably the Army Scythe, if your into crossbows.

The Durlag healing thingie I consider a cheese item, which no experienced and selfrespecting Bhaalspawn should use. It's only there to help you through the Dungeon the first time, so you are not totally frustrated. Much like the Shield of Balduran(?) in BG2, which turns Beholders into a sad joke. But i certainly used it back in the days, when I was a young and foolish Bhaalspawn.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited May 2016
    Thanks, doesn't said healing Durlag-thingie have limited charges though?

Aside: I never really had much patience with Durlag's tower, for the reasons you just said - only did it once and the last boss was a bit of a let down for me combat wise. I remember the traps/locking passages were suitably nasty though.

If lyncanthropes turn up at some point then some of Balduran's Island's items might be useful again...
    You can sell it and buy it fully charged again (with 20 charges IIRC.) as with all(?) items with charge abilities.

And no Werewolves in SoD, so those weapons can be sold/dumped. I also took Baldurans Butterknive with me. Still no use for it :( But I still like my hero of Baldurs Gate keeping all of Baldurs Items.
    Dharius
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746

And no Werewolves in SoD

There may be one.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I always wondered where Glint got to on full moon nights.
    @Balquo Oh yes, totally forgot about that one. So i retract what I've said earlier and propose the opposite.

(The encounter would be in BG and certain monk is involved, so after/right before leaving the city, you can sell them.)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Both pairs of Boots of Speed. Oh and all the Wands of Fire as someone already mentioned.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Gauntlets of ogre power, gloves of dexterity, and the tomes of +1 strength (for yourself) and +1 intelligence (for Safana) are probably the strongest and most useful items to carry over from BG1 to SoD. Next would be items that give you extra spell slots, like the ring of wizardry/evermemory and the amplifier necklace. Next would be the robe of the good/neutral archmage and immunity-granting items like the spider's bane sword. And last but not least would be any containers you have accumulated in BG1, like gem bags.
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    All of the above plus the Ankeg plate mail and Vascona (the +2 longsword that does cold damage) and Ashneda (the +2 warhammer that does electrical damage). And the +2 ring and +2 cloak of protection along with the Robes of the Archmagi.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I really liked the class-specific items, that were added into SoD (belt for Swashbucklers and Blades, that thing for Wizard Slayers, slippers for Monks ... )
    Aerakar
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Recharged wand of summoning has been very cheesy. Allowed my party to stay fresh all the time. My private army so to speak in this war. Wand of fire is nice too.
  • CLsdlt80CLsdlt80 Member Posts: 82

The Durlag healing thingie I consider a cheese item, which no experienced and selfrespecting Bhaalspawn should use. It's only there to help you through the Dungeon the first time, so you are not totally frustrated. Much like the Shield of Balduran(?) in BG2, which turns Beholders into a sad joke. But i certainly used it back in the days, when I was a young and foolish Bhaalspawn.

Come on m8... in case of the shield, you have to spend almost all the money you have if you decide to do that quest before the main quest/other early sidequests and it is cheesy, yes, but you are countering cheese so it's justified.

And in case of the goblet, well if you went through the tower, you deserve to have it. Maybe it should have limited charges, I'll give you that.
    Dharius said:

Thanks, doesn't said healing Durlag-thingie have limited charges though?

No, you can sell it and buy it again, and it's fairly cheap too. Combine with the helm that boosts morale and makes you immune to fear (also found in tower) and you have a frontliner who wins.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    Don't forget both of the rings of free action, they are hardcore awesome, especially if you like tossing webs around.

Scrolls of protection vs. undead can also be really useful in two particular areas.
  • SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45
    My list always means taking 6 weapons a shield and 6 pieces of armor. On top of that the 2 boots of speed and each of the enhancement gears (str belt/gloves, dex gloves, etc). Usually for the armor I will always choose the end game black plate, the ankheg plate, the shadow thief armor, drizzt's armor (if you killed him), and the Robes of the ___ Archmagi, making any adjustment for whatever party you plan on playing. weapons I always make sure to take the stun mace, the flaming sword, the cold sword, any +3s.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Golden Pantaloons
    Melicamp the Chicken

That is all.
  • GhavGrimGhavGrim Member Posts: 35
    Take Evermemory. It can be worn with the Ring of Wizardry:Evermemory found in SoD (as long as you put them on in the right order) for 2x2x1st level Magic Missile blitzing.
    Aerakar
  • dradamdradam Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2016
    I second wands of fire, but even better is a bunch of Necklace of Missiles; one fore each party member that can't use wands. Insane difficulty has been an absolute walk in the park with these things, they're cheap to recharge too if you kept some Rogue Stones and Star sapphires in your bags before SOD takes your cash away.

Walk into a big group? Lob 6 fireballs and all but the toughest enemies are dead, and they're soon to follow. Never really felt much of a need to use them in BG1, but in insane SoD they trivialize the huge groups you're fighting.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Thanks all: the fireball generating items seem to be very popular...

@dradam oooh thanks for the tip on keeping gems, that didn't occur to me.
  • magaritymagarity Member Posts: 51
    Isn't The Burning Earth the only +4 (granted, that's against undead only) weapon in BGEE? It is always my #1 carryover item since it is sometimes the only weapon that can hit some of the grumpier undead in later games until you find some of the crazy +5 stuff.