Skip to content

The lack of comical "Minsc-Quotes".

I want to talk about Minsc here (again). The majority got way too focused in Minsc's GamerGate quote (which is getting removed). Personally, as fan of Baldur's Gate, I was overwhelmingly disappointed with Minsc overall in Siege of Dragonspear. The very first time I started playing Siege of Dragonspear, I started spamming Minsc. I wanted to hear what he had to say. Will we hear the classic lines differently or does Minsc have something new to say? That's what most people I did I guess. That's why the GG-line became so controversial. Minsc is a classic character that many people first think about when talking about Baldur's Gate. He is a "cult-classic", an icon to the series. Even if first Baldur's Gate had very few lines. Those were still memorable.

A little porfolio of Minsc;

Baldur's Gate;

Baldur's Gate II;

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

The problem with Siege of Dragonspear is how uninspiring and generic Minsc was compared to the classics. I don't know if he gets any better. I only played the expansion for 10 hours, but I wasn't very impressed with the character. Of course in Baldur's Gate there wasn't much party banter and NPC reactions like in BG2. But when I played Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time and met Minsc in Nashkel. I knew that it was a character that was going to stay in my party 'till the end. He was a powerful melee ranger and his voice was just amusing. Man I was excited when Minsc returned in BG2, in the very beginning no less. It's been a character I've always kept with me in almost every playthrough, even in evil ones. BG2 especially dosen't feel the same without Minsc.

I did not bring this up to rant about "GamerGate"-quote. That's like beating a dead horse. I came here to talk about my passion for this character and share my disappointment in how he was handled in the expansion. It felt like devs didn't know much about Minsc and what made him so special or weren't just very creative with his lines.

Comments

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    It's always interesting to me how two people can look at the exact same thing and experience it so differently :) I was completely satisfied with the new content from Minsc and felt like it was one of the best-done parts of the expansion - his selection sounds might be a little generic, but his battle cries, critical hit announcements, etc. we're spot on imo. Beamdog also gave him some great banters without using him gratuitously, which must have been tempting with Jim Cummings in the studio.

Safana, on the other hand...is just grating. After kicking her out in Baldur's Gate during my first play through, I've kept her up to the halfway point and she just doesn't get any more likeable. I don't have a problem with the writing so much as the VO – she sounds like Leela (Futurama) on Ambien or something.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Slightly off topic. I highly recommend the Minsc comic that came out last year (it is canon too), to everyone who haven't read it. Loads of new Minsc quotes in it.
  • WaterRabbitWaterRabbit Member Posts: 11
    "My toes are hungry. They need more evil butts to kick!"
  • TrudeauIsSantaTrudeauIsSanta Member Posts: 161
    You're missing a lot of his lines. Btw, Minsc has usually been more annoying than comical. He's barely better than Noober.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    What GamerGate quote? Who cares? Are you gonna cry about every little sensitive thing in this game? It's one thing to talk about how bad their style is, but it's another when you just can't let go of your nitpicking.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    i Quite liked minsc in SOD, very in character and hilarious.
  • Lord_SavageLord_Savage Member Posts: 17
    SJW's are not known for their light hearted humor. A bitter... vengeful... dour bunch they are.
  • Lord_SavageLord_Savage Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2016
    Not Minsc's but the joys of being labeled a Racist in Dragonspear never gets old. Nothing screams immersion than being racist. I cant WAIT to be called a BIGOT when I drop a female character for a male character in my group.

M'Khiin: "So all goblins look alike to you. That's what you're saying? Racist."

Post edited by Lord_Savage on
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    I read the recent Minsc comic (not the new one about Ravenloft but the one taking place in Baldur's Gate) and it really felt like an excuse to feature Minsc again rather than an actual story. It was kind of sad, really, because
    this takes place decades after BG2 and the Minsc in the comic is just a wild magic surged statue come to life. And there is no dealing with the fact that even if this is the REAL Minsc, almost everyone he knew in life is dead. He mistakes the elven mage as Neera, so it seems like his low intelligence is again just played for laughs and handwaves any actual emotion he could feel.

I think Minsc is too one-note to really enjoy, at least for more than a few minutes. His schtick was kind of funny and then it became grating and kind of pathetic. It's easy comic relief with no depth to it.

I guess this response really should have been in the unpopular opinion thread...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'm pretty sure that gamergate line was removed 2 patches ago, wasn't it?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

SJW's are not known for their light hearted humor. A bitter... vengeful... dour bunch they are.

Let's stay on topic! The OP, in their own words, "came here to talk about their passion for Minsc and share their disappointment in how he was handled in the expansion."
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Not Minsc's but the joys of being labeled a Racist in Dragonspear never gets old. Nothing screams immersion than being racist. I cant WAIT to be called a BIGOT when I drop a female character for a male character in my group.

M'Khiin: "So all goblins look alike to you. That's what you're saying? Racist."

I think you are missing the joke here. That line is actually taking the piss out of political correctness. It like Ali Gee's line "it's 'cos I'm black!" (NB he isn't.)
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Fardragon: But using the word "racist" is itself immersion-breaking in a fantasy setting. The word appeared in its current meaning in the early 1930s and is definitely too "new" for a world like this. (It's a joke, I agree. But it's not a good one.)

I admit that it's not as bad as R. A. Salvatore's use of the word "fascist" in his Icewind Dale trilogy. When I saw that, my first thought was that the poor guy simply doesn't know what he's doing.
    Technically, it should be speciesist, but Forgotten Realms is NOT medieval, and the language of the sword coast is modern American English, not ye olde english. Pretty much every other word spoken didn't exist prior to the 20th century.

And it isn't even close to as immersion breaking as "by your command". Battlestar Galactica didn't exist until 1978.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Fardragon said:

Technically, it should be speciesist, but Forgotten Realms is NOT medieval, and the language of the sword coast is modern American English, not ye olde english. Pretty much every other word spoken didn't exist prior to the 20th century.

And it isn't even close to as immersion breaking as "by your command". Battlestar Galactica didn't exist until 1978.

"By your command" isn't a combination of words invented by Battlestar Galactica. I saw the phrase being used in an old war movie not long ago, and that one was from the 50s.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816

Says the guy injecting his bitterness into an unrelated thread two months after launch.

I liked the new Minsc content - it's almost an homage to the old stuff with the self-referential humor. My favorite new line is "Stings, doesn't it evil?" Short, simple, but so Minsc.

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Fardragon: "By your command" dates back to the Romans. "O emperor! Let us die by your command!" So that was a hopeless example.

And your claim that "Pretty much every other word spoken didn't exist prior to the 20th century" is just wrong, even if you were exaggerating, which you were, of course.

Of course the Forgotten Realms is not about ye olde english. But neither should it be about words with overly modern and/or specific overtones. For instance, it is perfectly fine to describe someone as a "tyrant", because the word has all of history behind it. But describing that same person as "fascist" is a huge gaffe, because that particular word refers very specifically to Italy and the 1920s.

I agree that sometimes it's difficult to draw the line. But when something is wrong enough, it's obvious. "Racist" was a bad choice, doesn't fit the world at all. It doesn't ruin anything, game-wise, but it was a bad choice. I would have edited it out immediately - not for any political reasons, simply for linguistic reasons.
    But neither should it be about words with overly modern and/or specific overtones.
    Why not?

If you take a leaf out of Tolkien, and assume that the language of the Sword Coast has been translated, then "fascist" could be a translation of a word in FR common for which their is no direct equivalent.

Alternately, since some individuals, like Elminster, can planer travel between the Forgotten Realms and our world, one can assume they brought the term back with them (along with the grand pianos that are all over the Sword Coast).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Rawgrim said:

Fardragon said:

"By your command" isn't a combination of words invented by Battlestar Galactica. I saw the phrase being used in an old war movie not long ago, and that one was from the 50s.
    The tone of her voice is what makes it a clear BSG reference, more than the words themselves. (I hadn't actually heard the line myself until a couple weeks ago, which to me is a pretty good indicator of how infrequently those rare sounds play during the game.)