Skip to content

Favourite Evil Outer Plane

2»

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

Acheron. I wouldn't mind studying for assignments in Tintibulus. :)

I'd love a combat heavy game of D&D to go to Tintibulus in Acheron, where the DM and players alike can roll dice onto the battle map to try and inflict damage and move combatants around with stuff that would actually be in the environment: flying dice-shaped objects!
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    For me it's the Grey Waste of Hades. It destroys you by draining your hope and courage, which to me feels more frightening than the more physical perils of many other planes.

Then there is the night hags who leave more room for interpretations than the legions of the Hells, or the hordes of the Abyss do. Also, the Waste is among the battleground of the war between devils and demons, so the plane offers opportunity to encounter the Blood War, too.
    GenderNihilismGirdleKampfKaninchenAerakarjackjack
    Ah @Calmar you're a planeswalker after my own heart! :D
    Calmar
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Night hags are the best. I've always had a soft spot for them since my first time through Torment.

All this blood war talk is making me want to get my Planescape books out of storage.
    GenderNihilismGirdlejackjack

Night hags are the best. I've always had a soft spot for them since my first time through Torment.

All this blood war talk is making me want to get my Planescape books out of storage.

The Planescape boxed sets are still my favourite of the 2nd ed boxed sets, and the Planescape adventures are still the most fun of any published setting-specific 2nd ed adventures I was ever run through (though admittedly that's restricted to Planescape, Forgotten Realms and Spelljammer, the Dragonlance game and short-lived Mystara game I was in didn't use any published adventure material and I never got a chance to play in the other settings...well, sort of Ravenloft but it was during a Planescape campaign and I can't remember if we were using a published Ravenloft adventure or not for our time there).
    BelleSorciere
    I never got to play in Planescape, unfortunately, at least not outside Torment itself. Mystara was fun until the GM did what she usually did and had her homebrew setting invade and wreck the place.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I DMed a game for years with the original first edition modules with some friends. We named it MacFinDenRich for our last names since this was long before they named the world. Lots of fun, used the 2e rules and adapted. However, you wouldn't believe the groans I got around the table when I said I was sad that they had named it since it had taken all the mystara out of it.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    I've probably played an equal amount of 3.x games in published settings and homebrew worlds, but for 2e I don't think I ever once played in a homebrew world. I'm pretty sure every time I played it was a TSR setting.

Planescape is a lot of fun, I was lucky to play my first game of it with a DM who was really wacky and silly without taking it to eye-roll extremes (altho I was like 10 so it may have been really annoying and it just happened to be my speed at the time lol) but the other two major campaigns I played were with a DM who used the wacky elements of the setting as accent on an overall very serious take on belief shaping reality, so I have a very fond memory of both the inherent drama and comedy extremes that can be teased out of Planescape because of those two very different DM styles.

I really hope they release some 5e material for Planescape, even if they don't do a core campaign setting book so big you could break your foot dropping it, I at least hope they release a pdf or two to cover all the basics, like faction descriptions and advantages/disadvantages for each one translated to 5e and so on. I'm totally fine with the post-Faction War factions, I'd even be fine with them advancing the timeline again past that and having the Lady of Pain let the factions back in changed as they are (but, also, I'd be totally down with a retcon as if Faction War never happened if that's what they wanted to do, even though the Faction War stuff was among my favourite stuff to play through as a player and I love the idea of it being canon for 5e).
    Sigil definitely gets a mention somewhere in 5e (I think in the Player's Handbook, the planes appendix). It would be very nice if they published something to run/play Planescape. Of course at the rate they're publishing supplements (or rather, not publishing supplements) who knows when it'd come out.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Bureaucratic paper-pushing and corporate dominance at its finest.

Sounds like my career.
    PurudayaGenderNihilismGirdlelolien

Sounds like my career.

And that makes it your favourite? Yeesh, that's one of the reasons I don't like Baator, it reminds me of jobs I've had I never want to have again.
    mashedtaters
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

DJKajuru said:

@DJKajuru Baator, which @BelleSorciere has picked, is that Plane.

Home, sweet Tiamat's home .
    yeah if I'm stuck in a dreadful outer plane at least gimme some dragons ! :)
    Yeah, and you don't want to be stuck on Celestia with those door to door gold dragon Bahamut's Witnesses. "Do you have a minute to roar and project flame out of your mouths with us about the Platinum Saviour?"
    every time that happens a Chaotic Evil Dragonslayer is Born
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266

Sounds like my career.

And that makes it your favourite? Yeesh, that's one of the reasons I don't like Baator, it reminds me of jobs I've had I never want to have again.
    @GenderNihilismGirdle

Well, I chose it because it's the most easily relatable hell for me...I don't think I have a favorite hell, to be honest. More like the evil you know, kind of thing:

"Next!
    "Ah, yes, mashedtaters, come in, come in! Let's look at your file, yep, ok, here it is! Before we get into all this, tell me, was your death relatively pleasent? No? Well, that's to be expected. Ok, down to business. It says here that you have lived your life poorly. Hmm...seasoned with salt that has lost its savor, strictly against the bible, that is...also, soured by spoiled milk, tsk, tsk, tsk...and what's this! You used instant mashed potatoe mix?? My, you really did live on the edge, didn't you?
    "Ok, look, I'll give it to you straight...things don't look so good for you here in the afterlife. You may be on mandatory overtime to get all those lumps out for a long time. But, here's what I'll do for you, we are after all friends, aren't we? Sure we are! Here's what I am going to do for you: I am going to give you a chance to see how real mashed potatoes are made! No, no, ha ha, you can't taste them, don't be silly! And of course, I can't let you anywhere near them, in case you have any funny thoughts about mixing yourself in and possibly escaping! We here at Baator Inc. take escape attempts very seriously, very seriously indeed. Try anything like that and you could be on performance review for a minimum of 666 years! So, best to leave that temptation out of it. No, while you mixing those lumps out of your mashed potato mix, we will be showing a special televised cooking show on how to make mashed potatoes properly by your favorite cook, I'm sure you've heard of her, Paula's Homecooking Show! It's a rerun, I'm sure you understand, budget doesn't allow for new episodes. We only have the one, but here's the good news: it will be playing for the rest of eternity, just to make sure the message sinks in! Isn't that exciting?
    "Questions? Too bad, you will have to file a complaint.
    "Next!"
    GenderNihilismGirdlemf2112lolien
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    For me it's the Grey Waste of Hades. It destroys you by draining your hope and courage, which to me feels more frightening than the more physical perils of many other planes.
    Well, I chose it because it's the most easily relatable hell for me
    My reasoning aswell. I chose Hades, because it reminds me of a place I've been before.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    One reason, it is the home of Abbathor. One of the most interesting gods in D&D.

http://www.nj-pbem.com/data/Gods/dwarvengods/Abbathor.htm

"While Abbathor is publicly reviled in dwarven society ("gone to Abbathor" is a dwarven expression for lost treasure), most dwarves have been consumed on more than one occasion with the lust for treasure that he embodies. Rare is the dwarf who does not recognize the streak of avarice infecting the Stout Folk, and thus the Trove Lord's rightful place in the dwarven pantheon. Like an unliked and self-serving member of the clan who nonetheless is not known to have ever betrayed his kinfolk, the Great Master of Greed is venerated as a member of the Morndinsamman by most dwarves, even as they decry his beliefs."

A neutral evil deity in a good pantheon, who still supports his kin when there is great need. Where there is usually a divide of "we are good, you are evil, rarrrgh!", this is an example of how evil can be smart enough to be accepted.

His home of Glitterhell is also really cool.

http://wiki.sigil-planarlegends.com/index.php/The_Glitterhell

I like how the Gray Wastes infect you with a wasting apathy, which is counteracted by seeing the burnished glow of his hall. It's also a "refuge" for those trying to escape the Gray Wastes, as all are welcome to slave away to sate Abbathor's unending greed. Interesting enough, unlike other evil deities, he actually cares about the good health of his followers...as poor health hurts productivity. And while those inside are generally unhappy, unlike the rest of the lower planes, there is no word of any actual cruelty taking place. Truly, a place to go to escape the much worse fates in the lower planes.
    mashedtatersGenderNihilismGirdleAerakar
    @mashedtaters @KampfKaninchen good points made, absolutely! I suppose that's why I picked the one I did, it's the devil (or night hag or yugoloth or shadow fiend) I know best, so to speak.

@Grum that is so cool, I hadn't put two and two together to realize Abbathor is a god who finds his home in Hades, and I never knew about Glitterhall! Really cool, I agree!
    GrumAerakar