Skip to content

Glint ?

2»

Comments

• CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238

Calemyr said:

That's where we are, people: Dorn is showing more caution than the gregarious and caring gnome cleric. Something is seriously wrong here.

That's a bit overstated, methinks. "Seriously wrong?" Look, some gregarious gnome clerics are just not masters of tact. Maybe they move too slow and then move too fast. Guess what: lots and lots of people in the real world do that too.
    Glint a little awkward and not prone to tact? That I can live with. The guy is a little weird, you've gotta admit, what with being so cheerful in the middle of a genuine military campaign involving the child of a dead evil god and a castle with a horribly cursed history. That's part of his charm, however. If weird was bad, Minsc wouldn't be so popular, and Glint manages to be cheerful without being all that irritating. Being more blunt and sudden than Dorn, however? I would have been more inclined to believe a glitch was in play than that this was intended.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Legendary said:

Vbibbi said:

Calemyr said:

That's where we are, people: Dorn is showing more caution than the gregarious and caring gnome cleric. Something is seriously wrong here.

That's a bit overstated, methinks. "Seriously wrong?" Look, some gregarious gnome clerics are just not masters of tact. Maybe they move too slow and then move too fast. Guess what: lots and lots of people in the real world do that too.

The only issue for me is whether they afford Charname an opportunity to let the guy down easy. I haven't played that part yet, but I f the only options really are "okay I'll be gay" and "I'm a terrible homophobic jerk" then that's not great. Some straight people are not jerks. :)
    That seems to be an issue with all of the SoD romances, that I've noticed.
    Legendary said:

Now that I've actually read the thread
    It does sound like a bug, because

Glint's previous romance dialogues are pretty obvious and you have to go down them to get that conversation in Dragonspear. He comments when you're about to go up the elevator to sabotage/investigate Dragonspear that he can't stand the idea of being away from you, and how he sleeps less because he's afraid he'll wake up and you're gone. After that in the underground river he mentions he's jealous of how you look at others and you more or less grope on him or reject him outright.
    Yeah, but my problem is that one talk is "we're really good friends, the right and left hand" or something, and then the next is "I couldn't sleep because I was watching you from my bedroll." It's a very large jump between the talks and to me feels like going from "we're friends and I'd be interested in seeing if we could be more" to "I can't sleep for thinking of you. If you don't feel the same you have to harshly break up with me." I guess one could say that he's just impulsive and puts all of his feelings out there at once and it's take it or leave it. But the dialogue options make it seem like Charname either feels the same or has been leading Glint along and dumps him. There's no option for "oh I didn't realize this is what you thought of our friendship, I need to think about this" or "I can't think about romance while we're possibly marching to hell, let's talk after" or anything like that. It feels like Glint and Charname were aware of the budding romance and didn't bother informing me.
    I don't disagree, but that's how all the romances have seemed to me. I keep Neera and Corwin in my party and I had to shoot them both down, both of them pretty harshly. There is no option for "I'm just not interested in you like that but lets be friends" for any of the romances I've seen. Corwin you tell her you want it to be professional and nothing else and Neera you basically tell her you only tolerate her due to her magic.

If I could give any feedback to the SoD team it's that not every rejection needs to be so harsh. I don't even know how I triggered Corwin's because I deliberately avoided all of the flirty lines to her. Reminds me Anders in DA2. (fuck off Anders)
    Exactly. The vanilla BG2 romances did the same, automatically starting lovetalks without the PC instigating, but early on we had the option of telling the NPC that we weren't interested. Once we reached a certain point in the romance it makes sense that breaking it off couldn't be completely kind, but not in early dialogue stage where it's more of a friendship that could lead to more.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited May 2016
    In hindsight, maybe the "right and left hand" dialog was where I should have ended it. I didn't, though, because the tone still seemed friendly rather than romantic, and hey, we WERE a good team.

What followed was a dialog where he told me to stop flirting with other people. What struck me about it was not just the suddenness, as others mentioned, but the lack of good responses: my only way out of the romance wasn't "be a jerk/homophobe", it was "stop smothering me, I do what I want". That implies that the romance was already in full swing, and that I only had a problem with exclusivity, which was a total surprise to me. A simple "whoa, I thought we were just friends" would have been an appropriate alternative.

I don't necessarily know if a bug report is the right way to go, though. Is there a good way to see all of the romance dialogs for SoD, so that we can see if I didn't actually miss something? If I didn't, I'm afraid this will end up unresolved; Beamdog's insistence on voicing every line likely means script changes are out of the question.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    I've been playing through the series with a male human berserker (just started chapter 10 in SoD), and he's a bit of a ladies man. High charisma and big muscles and all that. Corwin got a little close, but ultimately I went with Safana because she seemed more my character's type. That being said, I found it extremely easy to romance both of these characters. Like, unrealistically easy, even for Safana. It sort of broke the immersion a bit for me, even with my highly likeable CHARNAME.
    I didn't have this Glint issue though. I love gnomes, and I took Glint into my party the second I met him and he's been a good friend to my character, but so far I haven't seen any sign of Glint flirting with me. Should I expect him to suddenly drop a bomb of love on me out of the blue sometime?
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Has he had any dialogue with your PC? Maybe if you're already locked in a romance with Safana his dialogues won't trigger at all. If he has dialogue with you, that is the beginning of the romance track.