Skip to content

I miss the bg1ee style of video cutscenes

Those paper background with concept art style drawn over cut scenes were more welcoming than the cringy 3d videos belonging to the old vanilla bg2.
jackjackNoonDev6SmilingSwordFinnTheHuman

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Unfortunately you're in the minority here. People threw so many fits about the new cut scenes that they never even finished all the ones for BG:EE. So if we ever get more cut scenes, 3d ones seem more likely.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @red_codec I loved those too. Sad :(
    FinnTheHuman
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited May 2016
    At the moment you have the new video types in BG1EE, and the preserved old ones got left in BG2EE (new ones were not made as the response to the new ones in BG1EE were negative apparently), which I think is actually a reasonable compromise if you own both :) y'know a bit of modern art and a bit of retro late-90's-ish animation, to cover both bases, why not?
    Post edited by Dharius on
  • red_codecred_codec Member Posts: 44
    Ah no biggy. Most of the cut scenes are only seconds long. I do wish I could use bgee rest/tavern cut scene vids instead for bg2 though
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    It would be awesome to have a choice between the two cutscene types, as they do with some of the less popular options. But the backlash was so great, I doubt they'll ever revisit the new style. It's really too bad, as the 3D ones look horrendous on modern resolutions, in my view.
    red_codecDev6
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    The 3D cutscenes look absolutely horrid. People need to take their nostalgia glasses off and see things for what they are. They might've looked amazing 16 years ago but that is definitly not the case now.

I, too, prefer the comic-style cutscenes from BGEE.
    jackjacklansounetSmilingSwordFinnTheHuman
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The best cutscene of all is the ESC button.
    jackjacksarevok57
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Back when I first played BG1 these looked amazing, and so did the game. But when I reinstalled it 3-4 years ago I thought "God that's ugly", and now I play on my smartphone. Small screen turns even an great but ugly (by today's standard) game in a great game, removing the ugly component :smile:
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited May 2016
    The BG1 cinematics are looking very dated by now (except for the Durlag Tower movie which still looks awesome). The comic-style videos are not my taste though.

There are also a bunch of BG2 cinematics which should probably be replaced by improved versions as well, but the majority of sequences are still acceptable imo. I certainly don't want to see them reduced to comic-style videos. But since I usually skip cinematics nowadays it's not that important to me anymore. Sometimes I even disable them completely in the baldur.lua.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I really disliked the new style at first but after going back to the old videos on YouTube I changed my mind. It makes me wonder how many of the initial critics did the same. I'd love for them to revisit the cutscene updates for the remaining ones.
    jackjack
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    actually wondering why there are so many missing in bgee. beregost, gnoll, durlag, iron throne, wilderness rest.I love the new style.

its scandalous that bg2ee had nothing done in that regard. Not even the awful gameover highfive.

jackjack
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

The best cutscene of all is the ESC button.

you have no idea how hard I lol'd at this :)

jackjack