Skip to content

Kensai-thief

I am finally doing it. My last play-through was a F/T multiclass. This will be my first dual class. I had some questions to clarify things.

My Char base stats 18/97, 18, 18, 10, 8, 18. All tomes from BGEE going to CHARname.

Weapon prof: Scimitar:** 2 weapon style: 2 I plan on maxing these out before dual classing. chose scimitars for the weapons that give bonus APR. Might take Drizzt's

1st question: Am I sposed to dual when I reach level 12 or level 13? trying to maximize APR/thaco etc.

2nd question: Once I obtain UAI can I dual wield Belm and the scarlet ninja-to for +2 APR?

3rd question: Since my base THACO will already be greater than a thiefs at the time of dual classing will it no longer improve with thief levels?

4th question: Will I be limited to placing one pip in weapon prof slots after becoming a thief?

5th question: Civil War or Batman Vs Superman?

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    1. Level 13
    2. Yes to wielding, not sure if the extra attacks stack though.
    3. When you dual class to thief it resets to 20. When you reach level 14 as a thief it will either revert back to your fighter THAC0 or continue with your thief THAC0 - whichever is better. It will then continue to progress with your thief progression. This logic applies to all saving throws as well.
    4. No. But you should be.
    5. I haven't seen Civil War but I thought Batman vs. Superman was at best average. So I'll go with Marvel.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Just to clarify, are you playing dual or multi? You mention both...

1) If you're dualing and playing solo, 13 is fine. However in a party most people think it takes too long. Hence I would recommend level 9.
    2) You can wield both, but non-hasted APR is capped at 5.
    3) Indeed you will only use the best THAC0 progression
    4) Yes until you complete dual
    5) Pacman
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    1) If you are soloing 13 is fine; even in a small party of (2 or 3) it is fine; if you have a full party it might be awhile at least half of BG2 before getting your first class back maybe.

2) APR is capped at 5 - cannot surpass this without haste spell of some kind

3) best Thac0 is used

4) Yes but by level 12 kensai will have grandmastery in one weapon - so put the points in some other weapon you might want to use BUT even after you regain your kensai skills the dual classed should still not be allowed to put more than 1 point into anything although at this time you can (this is an engine exploit).

5) try both

Are you doing the entire series including BG, SoD, BG2 and ToB? When to dual changes a bit if you are only doing one of the series versus doing more than one or all of them.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

1st question: Am I sposed to dual when I reach level 12 or level 13? trying to maximize APR/thaco etc.

As others have said, solo is the one time you can consider 13 dual. However, I still recommend going with lvl 9. Why? Because what you get from waiting till 13 is not worth the wait; not that you don't gain nice things (you do) but the cost is simply too step - especially since you can be sure to use the +1/2 APR gloves solo which puts you at 5 APR either way even at lvl 9 (1.5 from lvl 7, +1 from GM, +1 from dual wield, +1 from APR offhand, +0.5 from gloves).

2nd question: Once I obtain UAI can I dual wield Belm and the scarlet ninja-to for +2 APR?

Yes, but you don't need to. You can reach the maximum APR (5 before Haste) just using one APR weapon in the offhand (plus the gloves if you dual before 13).

3rd question: Since my base THACO will already be greater than a thiefs at the time of dual classing will it no longer improve with thief levels?

Whichever THAC0 ends up better will be used in a dual-class combo (assuming both classes are active). You have so many THAC0 bonuses to stack that you don't need to worry too much about THAC0.

4th question: Will I be limited to placing one pip in weapon prof slots after becoming a thief?

Once you reactivate the Kensai, you can go up to 5 pips again. While it is inactive, you are limited to 1. Some people choose to strategically delay the last few levelups and only do them when they know it will take them past the reactivation, so they can spend multiple points.

5th question: Civil War or Batman Vs Superman?

X-Men: Apocalypse.
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140

Are you doing the entire series including BG, SoD, BG2 and ToB? When to dual changes a bit if you are only doing one of the series versus doing more than one or all of them.

Going to do the entire series.

I was thinking of just running with Aerie once I reach BG2. Thanks for all the info guys. Sucks that the APR is limited to 5, I had it in my head that my Charname was gonna be walking around at like 6 or 7 APR lol.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

I was thinking of just running with Aerie once I reach BG2. Thanks for all the info guys. Sucks that the APR is limited to 5, I had it in my head that my Charname was gonna be walking around at like 6 or 7 APR lol.
    He can reach 10 with Improved Haste or HLA's. What the other's told you is that the base APR, before magic/potions, can't go above 5. Anything over 3 in base is more than you really need anyways.

Sucks that the APR is limited to 5, I had it in my head that my Charname was gonna be walking around at like 6 or 7 APR lol.

Well, 5 is the maximum BASE APR. Haste-effects can increase it; regular Haste or Oil of Speed will add +1 APR (5->6) while Improved Haste will double APR (5->10).

Still, in an unmodded game 5 APR is probably enough to shred pretty much anything ;)

If you are doing the entire series then my all means go to 13 - of course you know that means for a portion of Bg2 you will be a lowly thief - meaning without a team of some kind (meaning no using metagaming or cheese) then you will be in a lot of trouble - so when you reach BG2 - take a suitable team of 4 with you until you reactivate your kensai skills and then drop them.

Bring a fun and entertaining team with you for a portion of the thief run.

There are better weapons to grandmaster in besides scimitars but if this is how you picture your kensai fighting then go with that.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    I know the cost is steep in terms of XP but level 13 is massively worth it compared to level 9. Not only for the additional THAC0, APR, HP and Kensai bonuses, but also for saving throws.

A human fighter 9 has crap saving throws. The thief levels will improve his save vs wand and spells, but his save vs death in particular will forever suck (base of 8!). Getting to level 13 improves all saving throws by at least 3 (some more than 3). Getting to a "safe" threshold with potions, spells and equipment (somewhere around -4) is a lot easier when the base is 5 rather than 8.
    @Jaheiras_Witness the positive effects are indisputable, but the cost is quite real. However, it is, of course, an individual preference as to how relevant and impactful you consider that cost for your personal game.

I myself believe that you are better off dualing early and dealing with things like worse THAC0/STs in other ways. Since in solo it is almost trivial to block almost anything ever with the right immunity and/or strategy, I do not consider improvement in that area worth the steep XP cost (and it's very steep; 1-9 is the same total XP as 9-10, and every single level thereafter). But that is just me - you may very well see things differently. Take the input from everyone, weigh and consider it, try things out, and then arrive at the solution that works best for YOU personally.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    9th level kensai can dual and be an 11th level thief by the end of Siege of Dragonspear. That would be the way I'd do it. You can start BG2EE SoA at 9/11, no extended waiting time for dualing.

I'm torn between a Kensai run. (I plan on removing the xp cap in BGEE and seeing if I can get to 9th level and dual class as soon as I begin SoD, XP Cap on so will still be 500k ceiling before BG2EE.)

Or a Bounty Hunter, because I've always loved Yoshimo/Subotai and would like to complete the whole series with a similar character as the main.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd probably put your weapon proficiencies elsewhere, scimitar is okay for the offhand but you don't need to GM to do that effectively.

Mainhand there is much better choices.
    Wowo said:

I'd probably put your weapon proficiencies elsewhere, scimitar is okay for the offhand but you don't need to GM to do that effectively.

But don't I want a weapon I can still backstab with?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Wowo said:

But don't I want a weapon I can still backstab with?
    So Longswords or Katana would be my first stops for consideration.
    Well I got Drizzts scimitars. He just sat there and let the gnolls kill him, really weird :smile: . So far so good with these weapons.
  • pacodawgpacodawg Member Posts: 8
    I've been playing a kensai->thief lately as well, and highly suggest dialing at level 13 at LEAST. If you plan on going through watcher's keep, get the Deck of Many Things (3rd floor from Aesgareth). There's a card you can draw called Throne which grants 1,000,000 exp. If you dual at lvl 13, kick everyone out of your party, and draw Throne, it puts your thief levels immediately to lvl 14. Easy as pie.

I actually dualled at 21 (crazy, but reasons) and my guy is unstoppable.

Also when leveling your thief (solo for exp), Hide in Shodows, boots of speed, backstab, repeat. Haha, its so fun to me.

Sorry for the longwinded reply.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    pacodawg said:

I've been playing a kensai->thief lately as well, and highly suggest dialing at level 13 at LEAST. If you plan on going through watcher's keep, get the Deck of Many Things (3rd floor from Aesgareth). There's a card you can draw called Throne which grants 1,000,000 exp. If you dual at lvl 13, kick everyone out of your party, and draw Throne, it puts your thief levels immediately to lvl 14. Easy as pie.

Also when leveling your thief (solo for exp), Hide in Shodows, boots of speed, backstab, repeat. Haha, its so fun to me.

Dualling at 13 is a heavy process and it takes a lot of time to recover if you cannot get the Deck. And getting it early is rather hard, the 3rd floor being rather hard and the fight to get the deck not that easy either

I know it's less powerful but I usually dual my fighter classes at level 9 (you get a pip at level 9, as well as an additionnal bonus given by your class, whether rage or damage), and the recovery is really quick. Dualing at level 13 is more powerful lategame but the downtime might be quite annoying.
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Skarose said:

I'm torn between a Kensai run.

You've rolled a 99 plus 18/91 and a 98 for the second char actually? Most players give up when they reach the first 88 or 92 at most.

pacodawg said:

Im waiting till 13, and i definitely want to get all my thief levels at once so i can place pips in long swords. Im thinking id like dual wielding scarlet ninja to and the eqyalizer.

I also thought about dualing at 18 or 21, why did you do it?
    Ive also considered using yoshi to steal all mage scrolls, boot him, and have Aerie memorize em with charname.

I'd be very interested in hearing people's reasoning behind dualing after 9. Specifically, what their solution is for the awkward cost/reward ratio at higher XP brackets.

I'd be very interested in hearing people's reasoning behind dualing after 9. Specifically, what their solution is for the awkward cost/reward ratio at higher XP brackets.
    Extra attack. Slightly better thaco. More hp. (Level 13)
    Unless i go to level 18 or 21 I cant see the kensai thief rivaling a multiclass F/T, imo
    Leveling at 18+ means that you are basically playing 2 separate classes with one character until almost the end of the game - as it will be a very long time before your first class is activated. Why bother with an end game uber character when most of the way you are one class or another class and you get no joy from dualing. Of course if you enjoy playing 2 separate classes for most of the game thats great for you.

Dualing usually takes place at 13 for max result (for a fighter) as everyone has said - after that besides some general better Thac0 and saves nothing really advances; and if you are playing a thief or mage dual then you are not meleeing really - one backstabs and then runs away; while the other comfortably casts spells blowing foes away from a comfortable distant some as to not get blood on his expensive robes.

If you are dualing late then why not just multi-class instead as it will become more powerful.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

7: half attack
    9: max HP, extra pip
    13: another half attack

anything further only adds thac0 and the kit damage on kensai, thief has generally the better saving throws (iirc), so thats not much of a reason.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @madmaximus @Yamcha Did you read the post?

"Specifically, what their solution is for the awkward cost/reward ratio at higher XP brackets."
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    If you're running through the whole series or playing solo/small party then going to 13 and regaining your original class should still be pretty easy.

Fighter 13 is 1.25m XP
    Thief 14 is 880k
    Total XP needed is 2.13m XP

Even with a full party I'm hitting that probably around the Underdark (+/- depending on side quests completed). The level 9 dual seems to be the sweet spot, and I'd only consider a 13 dual if solo or in a small party (3 person or less).

There are benefits for going to 13 for sure, but you need to decide if the extra wait is worth it. It will likely heavily depend on your party size. If you're duoing with Aerie come SoA, then you should be fine with a later dual.
    edited June 2016
    "Easy" or "hard" are fairly meaningless terms, because you rarely deal in absolutes. "Easier than X", now there's something you can work with. Or at least a starting point, leading to a more differentiated perspective.

Just to reiterate, my conviction remains (for now) that while you do gain nice things for levels higher than 9, they are not nice enough to warrant the extra XP you need to invest. This is doubly true because the arguably biggest gain (the extra 0.5 APR at 13) becomes less attractive the easier it is to get - you regain levels easier the smaller your party, but the smaller your party the greater the chance you can use the +0.5APR gauntlets so that the APR gain doesn't actually matter. (Note that this does not apply for K->M, though, as they can't use gauntlets; but they have other things to consider, like spell levels, that favor earlier dual as well)

I'd love to hear people's perspectives, though. What do you think makes that steep XP investment worth it, and why?
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I think we both agree the benefits of going to level 13 aren't massive. Whether or not they're worth it though depends on how quickly the player can hit level 14 Thief and regain their former abilities. You do make a good point though about not having to compete for equipment in a small party. Your Kensai/Thief is likely the main candidate for inheriting those gloves, so the +0.5 APR from waiting until 13 is moot. I would maintain however that if you're going to aim for the higher level dual, doing it solo or in a small party is the best way to do it so you gain the most XP possible.

I'm not sure how different your HP and Saving Throws would be between a 9 and 13 dual. I'm not well versed in how the stats are calculated when you dual or go multi. Maybe someone can do the calculations? Let's assume the same total XP between them, the 2.13m to hit Thief 14 on the higher dual.

So you'd compare between a 9/18 and a 13/14.
    What thirf level do you max out if you dual at 9? 13?