Skip to content

How to use combat time efficiently

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
Tl;dr: How do you know when a round ends in combat? The end of round auto pause doesn't pause at the end of rounds.

I have realized that my characters tend to waste a lot of time doing nothing when they are in combat. It happens most with spell casters. The reason is that some actions in the game cannot be done twice within the same round. I think those actions are: casting a spell, using an ability, using an item's special power, and using a potion. That means that if I want my guy to perform two of these actions, I have to wait a few seconds between the time he finishes the first one and the time he start the second. He could use that time to do other things, like moving around or attacking, but in most cases he just stays there doing nothing at all.

A simple example: My bard is attacking an enemy with magic missiles. As soon as he finishes casting one I tell him to cast another. The casting time of Magic Missile is 1, which means my guy spends just 0.6 casting the spell. Since he can't cast twice in the same round, he has to wait until the beginning of the next round to start casting the next spell. This means that each round he spends 0.6 seconds casting and 5.4 seconds doing nothing. Obviously that is very inefficient. He's wasting 90% of his time. He could use that time to attack with weapons, for instance.

The obvious solution is to use the option to autopause the game when a spell is cast. Thus, as soon as he finishes casting, the game pauses, I tell him to attack with a weapon, and he wastes no time being idle.

Unfortunately, this approach has a disadvantage: I don't know when he's going to be ready to cast a new spell. Since I'm managing the other party members at the same time, chances are that I will forget that he was meant to cast another spell, and he will just keep attacking with his weapon for a few more rounds. Depending on my strategy, it's quite possible that this is worse than wasting 90% of his time.

I thought that the solution for this would be to use the end of round autopause. However, I just discovered that, quite surprisingly, the end of round autopause doesn't pause at the end of the round (you can check this thread for the details).

My current approach is: For easy battles I ditch the autopause. They're going to waste a lot of time, but it doesn't matter because they're gonna win anyway. For difficult battles I check all the autopause options. I still don't know when each round ends, but the game pauses so often that it gives me time to check what's going on and give orders accordingly. However, this is far from perfect and also quite tedious.

So, finally, my question: Is there any way to know when the round ends and my guy is ready to cast again?

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    If you are using a missile weapon you could keep APR-minus-one missiles in the selected ammo slot. With the "weapon unusable" autopause it should be very close to the next available time you could cast. Tedious though....
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    No easy way without using autopause.
    However, just playing the game enough will give you a good feel
    Use the new "turn off cosmetic attacks" option to help.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I don't use any autopause, rather I just pause a lot manually, constantly monitoring the dialogue box, health bars and opponent's reactions. For timing spell casting I just check that the spell icon appears in the caster's portrait when I instruct it to be cast and then, when the icon disappears, I know that the spell's been cast and that the caster is now free to do something else.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    mf2112 said:

If you are using a missile weapon you could keep APR-minus-one missiles in the selected ammo slot. With the "weapon unusable" autopause it should be very close to the next available time you could cast. Tedious though....

Tedious indeed, but hey, good thinking ;)
    ajwz said:

No easy way without using autopause.
    However, just playing the game enough will give you a good feel
    Use the new "turn off cosmetic attacks" option to help.

Good thinking too :) Not a perfect solution, but it sounds like the best idea so far. I'll give it a go.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.