Skip to content

My thief takes damage when setting traps

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
I haven't seen this documented anywhere. Why does my thief take damage when he sets traps?

On a more or less related note, I thought that you weren't allowed to kill dragons by setting a lot of traps in front of them while they're still neutral. I remember reading back in the day that it was a cheesy way of killing dragons, so they made the dragon become hostile as soon as you set the first trap. Am I remembering correctly? Right now Firkraag just stands there looking at you in amusement while you dig his grave.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2016
    I haven't seen this documented anywhere. Why does my thief take damage when he sets traps?
    That has been the case since the original BG2. Presumably the intention is that the thief accidentally springs the trap (and gets partially hit by it). With a high enough number in your set snares ability trap setting failure should be avoided (and the HLA traps won't get this)
    On a more or less related note, I thought that you weren't allowed to kill dragons by setting a lot of traps in front of them while they're still neutral. I remember reading back in the day that it was a cheesy way of killing dragons, so they made the dragon become hostile as soon as you set the first trap. Am I remembering correctly? Right now Firkraag just stands there looking at you in amusement while you dig his grave.
    This has always depended upon the dragon in question.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    You've failed to set the trap and when you do, it either disappears, or your thief will get hit by it. Probably not enough points in "Set Snare" skill. Shouldn't happen when you have 100%
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2016
    Yeah this sometimes happens when you fail a set trap skill check. You get hit by your own trap. In this case, Yoshimo's traps are poisonous thanks to his level, and he gets the taste of his own poison. It is the lingering poison damage (sickly green color) from the first failed trap. It hurts 2-3 times. You don't get the poisoned icon, this damage is not super continous like spider or wyvern poison, this is more like a melf's acid arrow effect, hitting once per round. You don't take damage after a succesfully set trap. It is just coincidence that the lingering poison in Yoshi's system hit after a trap was set succesfully.

Once your set traps is %100 you never suffer such.