Skip to content

Create full party or go solo

Do most of you just play one character and pick up players along the way? Or do you prefer creating your own entire party from the start? I've played through this game so many times mainly solo all alignment types. But it got me to thinking what is the perfect party. Perfect maybe isn't the right word, more or less what party composition would destroy on Insane difficulty?

So for this new play through (Creating my own full party)

Tank - Dwarven Defender
Support Melee - Cavalier
Ranged DPS - Rangerx2
Assassin - Ranged
Involker.

For those that have never played a ranger. They are insane. Most groups even on insane rarely even make it to my front line. They just mow through mobs. Still early going for now. Will see if this group is still viable at higher levels.

Would love to see other members thoughts. I was thinking maybe no assassin / bard instead. But wanted to try high end back stabs in BG2

D,

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited May 2016
    C/T
    Sorcerer or Skald
    4 archers

The C/T can act as tank/decoy with some summons while the archers obliterate everything within one round. I'd give one of them xbow (army schythe), two of them longbow (deadeye and comp.bow) and one of them shortbow (eagle bow) proficiencies. The sorc or skald can throw some magic into the mix just for fun and the skald can sing as well.

I've never tried this but I have thought about trying this or somethig similar for IWD. In BG1 archers reign supreme though.

edit: You would pretty much never have to sleep/rest, never have to buff before fights. You just need a shitload of arrows/bolts, but that's not hard to maintain (at least not with a "no-limit" stacking mod).

You can get a similar effect using stuff like 4-6 berzerkers(only buff you'll ever need, except vs basilisks and a few other fights)/dwarven defenders/paladins. 5 blackguards and 1 assassing using darts/ranged for some poison overkill, even though it's been nerfed in 2.0+ might be weird and fun, but mostly weird, hehe..

edit2: Just saw that you mentioned BG2 as well, then I would not advice 4 archers. Then I would go with a more berzerker and melee heavy party instead. I thought you just talked about BG1 first.
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    I have heard archers are very good until later on.. I loved the archer but they get squishy and you dont even have a healer. Even the assasin is not without problems as i remember he spend too much time to just even get to backstabbing. He isnt bad i say and you only have one thief.. And with an invoker you loose a spellschool. You also dont have anyone for the storyline. Also have in mind all the decursing and dispelling which is my headache with my party here

Fighter/mage
    Blackguard not sure to make him my protagonist
    Sorcerer
    Skald
    Lathander/thief
    Imoen mage/thief
    I dont have a druid that is also a concern for now. I hope that wont be a downside. I remember imoen as being a powerfull mage and that i wished i had more mages but later on a party with strong melee. I was also surpriced a ranger cleric could cast druid spells but i dont want to tale out the sorc and i heard two clerics in a party isnt good..

Even imoen can backstab im planning giving her a quarterstaff. The skald carsomyr.. The lathander the fast spear. And bastard sword for the blackguard not sure of the second weapon. He also has points in sword and shield no 2h.so far. The F/M with flail and later katana. Only the sorc cant melee but i think she is very strong. I can feel it :) no archers but i want some to use ranged weapons.
  • ThorgaazThorgaaz Member Posts: 46
    I Think your party works fine in BG1 but get trouble in Bg2 or Throne of Baal. The Arrow Mechanic simply weaken the rangers a lot. Enemys with imummity to nonmagic Weapons could become a real pain for you. And yes at least one healer is always a good addition.

In my case Im playing

Chavallier,
    Ranger/Cleric
    Archer
    Thief/Mage
    Cleric/Illusionist
    Sorcerer

I´m thinking about switching Archer to Kensei->Thief and
    the Thief/Mage to Swashbuckler-> Druid at the start of BG2,
    But im not too sure about it. Works pretty well till now. / means multi and -> means Dualclass.
    Cleric/mage in that party lol he is that strong isnt he..
  • TrueDannyboyTrueDannyboy Member Posts: 17
    Keep in mind with the archers, you can carry magic arrows, also dispelling arrow is insanely powerful vs. casting classes. But I have yet to really test this in BG2 yet. As you all know you blow through BG1 with this make up. Also not sure I will miss out not having a cleric, potions are almost as good and we do so much dmg so fast we don't really take much dmg.

Also for the larger fights, My meat shield holds aggro enough and is insanely tanky. Dwarven defenders are amazing. If you have not had one on your front line I would recommend it.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Going full party, partial party or even solo depends on how you want to play the BG series (assuming you are playing all the way through) regardless of the difficulty setting - insane difficulty is really not that insane for a seasoned BG gamer.

To make it a challenge limit metagaming and NO using fog of war or other exploits of the game AI and engine.

The best configuration is usually: 2 tanks that can do damage with low AC; to middle fighters (with range abilities and some spells - meaning multiclass characters or a bard), one mage and a cleric (for initial blast to soften them up, buffs, disabling and summons (can't go wrong with free meat shields) - if they can't hit you because they are feared or something, or to busy dealing with summons who cares if they do double or triple damage.

If you are role-playing and going for max entertainment but don't want to deal with the NPCs - then really choose the classes and kits you want to play with and have fun - limit metagaming entirely for a run through. Any combination will see you through the game unless you intentionally use some very odd combinations (for example: a shape changer, beast master, shaman group would be unusual) and even then if you play them well you should be able to beat the game - just a little more micro-management required.

If going for a partial party - again making your own team allows for you to have maximum strategy when you are designing your party. A smaller group (of say 4) even multi-classed or dualed will easily reach xp cap even before the end of the game. Limit metagaming for fun and a better challenge.

As for soloing - well this is mostly to say I've soloed the game - it requires metagaming knowledge to actually do - you most likely will either be a triple class (eg fighter/mage/thief is the usual to play for max power) or be some kind of mage/sorcerer class or maybe a fighter class of some kind. Is it fun soloing - sure it is to some extent but you are basically metagaming the entire series - if you do it once there really isn't much point to doing it again.

For a challenge install SCS mod for greater difficulty as it makes the AI for monsters/opponents that much better meaning they get smarter; if you find you have too much gold (as most of us do which allows us to buy whatever gear we want include all those that cost 20,000+ gp - then install the 100,000 gp mod that increases the cost of using the shadow thieves/Bodhi to that amount - so you have to budget what you spend and NO using the cheap stealing and selling back to the same merchant for infinite gold and NO potion stacking of potion of master thievery (in BG2) - only use one of each type of thief potion and see how much you can steal or pick pocket with no reloads or saves allowed - it really forces you to be very selective if you are trying to steal or pick pocket someone.
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    When going for custom character parties, I have my configuration. I find that 6 custom tend to be too powerful (At least in BG1), and I tend to keep the challenge by reducing the amount of characters.

Fighter/Mage/Thief as @magisensei said is my character of choice with solo runs, it's the perfect multi-class for it. When you get to 19 int, you an learn all the spells and you can really start dishing it out with magic in BG2. Mastering the art of backstabbing makes you really deadly.

Going 2 ppl I go with
    - Half-Orc Fighter/Thief (Dual-Wielder) and 19-18-19 as physical stats.
    - Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric/Mage with maxxed ST/CN/IQ/WS, and the rest in charisma (Gloves for 18 dex).
    I like this party a lot in BG:EE tho I have yet to beat the game with it and import into BG2.

With 4 ppl I use less multi-classing
    - The same Half-orc as my 2 ppl group
    - Elf Cleric
    - Generalist Mage
    - Ranger(Archer).

My most overpowered group of all time has been
    - Elf Fighter, everything in LongSwords and 2W-Fighting
    - Elf Ranger(Archer)
    - Elf Fighter/Thief/Mage
    - Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric/Mage
    - Human Wizard (Evoker)
    - Elf Sorceress
    Basically every main protagonist I had created at the time all mashed-up together.
    A bit low on healing but I took them all the way thru BG1/BG2 and it was a complete massacre.
    Everyone used different weapon so I made use of almost all the loot
    Another variation was to remove the human Mage and instead have a human Monk in BG2
    But yeah it was Elf-Heavy. 2 of which looked like Drows.
    Nowadays I try to be a little more diverse. I try to have no more than one of each race.
    I know they can be amazing, but I have a hard time doing Multi class. I hate that feature is even in the game. Fighters that can cast. I'm a class purest or whatever we want to label it. I hate mixing classes.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    While Archers are amazing, there is realistically only equipment for two Archers to shine.

Keep in mind with the archers, you can carry magic arrows, also dispelling arrow is insanely powerful vs. casting classes. But I have yet to really test this in BG2 yet. As you all know you blow through BG1 with this make up. Also not sure I will miss out not having a cleric, potions are almost as good and we do so much dmg so fast we don't really take much dmg.

Also for the larger fights, My meat shield holds aggro enough and is insanely tanky. Dwarven defenders are amazing. If you have not had one on your front line I would recommend it.

I actually had an eye out for dwarven defender i dont remember if I have played with one but I just know this guy is good. Maybe better than fighter/mage

Good news for you..dwarven defender can achieve grand mastery in axes but not in hammers. On the other hand some prefer the berserker over the DD because the dwarf gets charmed others say he has slots available for magic resistance and again some say fighter/druid is a greater tank because of hardiness armor of faith and ironskin

I know they can be amazing, but I have a hard time doing Multi class. I hate that feature is even in the game. Fighters that can cast. I'm a class purest or whatever we want to label it. I hate mixing classes.

I don't like multiclass but dual class that's me. I wont dual at 9 or 13 but at 20 or 21 like in the old days. I'm not sure but its until thaco is 0.. 20 or 21.
    You can also restart a game and import a dualled char
    Believe me I bg2 you would want dual classes and versatility
    well i heared good stuff about dwarven defender, but i only have bgtutu at the moment. (no DD here)

I see the point in having pure classes. The dual/multisystem is strange. Would be way nicer having some full allrounder instead. (yknow people in Chainmail but less spellselection or caster levels)
    So while my archer heavy party is flat out amazing for trash pulls. You were all right. As you get into more complex fights they simply don't measure up. So I went back to the drawing board.

Tank / Front Line - Cavalier
    Healer / Front line - Dwarven Fighter/cleric
    DPS / Front Line - Kensai, Master 2hander sword (Insane Dmg, 50 HP crits already lvl 6/7)
    DPS / back line - Ranger, archer Elven (as always best at trash kills) -3 thaco already
    Support - Bard, The nordic one forgot the name already lol. But that buff is to amazing for my already existing party. Also carries heavy crossbow for opener / or spells depending.
    Thief - Halfling, Having a properly kitted thief is pretty paramount, You sadly need a true thief not any of the other kits.

This group seems to be wrecking things. The sword and board Cavalier I'm insanely impressed with.

Just finished durlags and did it in one shot no wipes. Even the last fight felt pretty simplistic.

Thoughts?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Just as a point of contrast to all those saying archers are not so useful BG2/TOB.

I recently played the "Kivan" mod through the whole saga. He killed every dragon in the game.
    I was redoing fights to give the other NPC a chance to get a big kill on their personal records (silly I know but decided that they were suffering from "big kill" envy).
    5 pips in longbows.

Of course you need magic to undo protections, but after that, the damage with arrows, safely from distance, was huge.
    Which leads exactely to my opinion to your new party. Its a good party already. But I strongly recommend you to dual the Kensai into a Mage later. Mages are awsome in lategame and your party could make good use of at least one.
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    A 6-man custom party with good rolls (86-94), will wreck everything very easily most of the time (except maybe fear at low levels). BG1 was clearly not made for Power-gamed, 6 man parties. I do agree about needed a good mage tho, and a generalist at that. Otherwise some fights in BG2 will be very hard to push thru. Maybe the bard with scrolls of breach or something, but they might not be available enough.

Dual to Mage after say, 9 levels of fighters (5 pips in 2H-sword in Danny's case), and maximized HP gains would work really well. The party will have to cover for him at first tho.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    In BG1 it doesn't matter, sometimes I grab NPC's and sometimes I roll up a 5 member party and rotate the NPC's in for their quests. I always prefer to bring the NPC's in BG2 for the banters though, mixed good/evil parties are good for that.