Skip to content

So... Pillars of Eternity - their "spells" are just BG/IWD spells hit with 'Power Word: Rename'

2»

Comments

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    This just covers about half the mage's spells though. Most of them, even if they seem familiar, are mechanically very different.
    Druid, cleric and cipher spells are a whooole different ball game though
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I paid good money for PoE to be as much a classic D&D game as possible... I don't mind any similarities.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackFardragon
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I take a lot, like the concussive missiles spell, as tongue-in-cheek. It's humorous homage, as far as I'm concerned, rather than a rip-off. These guys (PoE types) have huge backgrounds in CRPG's, so it's not like they're pretending to come up with completely new approaches to this genre. They're creating something in the spiritual vein of what came before, which means that you'll see similarities.

Dragon Age has a lot of similarities to D&D spell systems, too. With new wrinkles, of course, but not 'new from scratch' by any stretch of the imagination. I guess I see this topic as much ado about something that isn't a big deal. If the intent is to only play games that are D&D licensed, or else have no ties to D&D anything, I think you'll throw a lot of babies away with a small amount of bathwater.
    the_spyderCalmar
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited June 2016
    Well, I must say, Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff is SO much more awesome than Decastave. I don't mind them basing their spells off of DnD spells as long as they do the spells better or their spells work very differently from the DnD versions.