Skip to content

Memorized spells order

metaentitymetaentity Member Posts: 8
edited June 2016 in Troubleshooting
I have looked around, but I haven't found an answer yet. In case this problem had already been solved, please link the appropriate thread.
I am playing BG2EE v2.2.

I have come across at least two instances where the order in which you memorize the spells actually matters:

- Level drain
- Simulacrum

With level drain, spell slots are lost from right to left. This means I have trouble protecting "True Seeing" from being lost to a level drain, since it is last in the lvl5 spell list.

Even more annoying is Simulacrum, for which I cannot control which spells it is going to end up with (it keeps the leftmost spells), since it is essentially a level drained clone of the caster. Again, good luck retaining Stoneskin or Spell Shield.

Is there an option to revert to vanilla BG2 memorization, which lets you choose which spell to memorize in which slot? If not, is there any other way way around this?
Post edited by metaentity on

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    It is possible in 1.3 on Android at least, did they change that in 2.0?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Moved to the Troubleshooting in order to find out if this is intended or not.
  • metaentitymetaentity Member Posts: 8
    @JuliusBorisov Thanks!

@Arunsun I am currently playing in v2.2 and the spell memorization order is fixed, spells are memorized in alphabetical order. If you delete a spell and add it back again it does not take up the rightmost slot, it is added in the middle according to the alphabetical order.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I agree so much with this thread, this has be an annoyance to me since they made spell memorization ordered alphabetically.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    lansounet said:

they made spell memorization ordered alphabetically.

ROTFL!!!

I didn't know about that. So silly. Can't stop laughing.

And people wonder why I stick to the originals. Unbelievable.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Also, and this is a really minor complaint but falls into the same vein, the Staff of Arundel has been indirectly nerfed in every version 2.X: While once upon a time it was possible to use the bonus slots for a one of a kind spell that could be casted before battle (like iron skins and fire seeds), before switching to a (probably ranged) weapon on the druid, now this is no longer possible without choosing only spells that come before those in the alphabet (good luck with that).

It's a shame, really. :disappointed:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Create tickets on the redmine, @metaentity and @justfeelinathome, please.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    I'll do so right now. :smile: I wasn't sure whether other people felt this was a problem as well, but by now I believe it. :smile:
    edited June 2016
    Ok, Bug 24030 has been filed, mentioning both the issues with spells slots from items and with level drain/simulacrum.
    edited June 2016
    I have just noticed that the bug report I have filed has been misinterpreted and edited accordingly. In this case, what should I do?
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    As this is a complete misinterpretation but a valid bug too, I would add another ticket with the original problem and made sure it's clear. You could also link to this thread for clarification.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited June 2016
    The last entry says to go ahead and make a new ticket. I would say to make a very clear set of repro steps including the spell memorization order before the level drain or simulacrum (and I would actually make those two cases in separate tickets since the effect may be different) and then after to show what actually happens. That the memorized order of the spells is not honored correctly.
    edited June 2016
    (double Post, deleted)
    edited June 2016
    @BelegCuthalion I personally like a behavior such as the one in the picture, where you can see which spells have been kicked out of the slots. I am more inclined to see it as a feature rather than a bug, just for the reason that when I cast restoration on the drained mage all spells selections are back in place.

Here you can see Imoen's spells after a tough battle. This is her spellbook for level 8 and 6 after the level drain:

Level 8 drained

Level 6 drained

Here you can see what happens by just casting the restoration spell: every spell that used to be memorized goes back into place without having to reselect it. Call me lazy, but I like it.

The only bug I see is the one pointed out by the clever testing of @Pecca . This is Imoen's drained level 7.

I think the only thing to fix is the alphabetical ordering of memorized spells.
    True, i fully agreewith that.
    Shall me make a new Ticket for that?
    One can also comment on the mis-interpreted old Ticket to make sure it's not "improved" by mistake that way.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited June 2016
    I'd prefer the spell were ordered by color: Buff-Debuff-Offense-Others.

spells are memorized in alphabetical order

You mean ENGLISH alphabetical order? Very uncomfortable if you are playing with a different language.
    edited June 2016
    @BelegCuthalion As I am not too familiar with bug reports, I trust you on this matter. Please, file a new bug report and edit the old one as you see fit. Let me know if I can help you (maybe you need permissions to edit the bug I filed?).

@rede9 Sorry for the confusion, I meant English alphabetical order. For the problems outlined in my first post and Pecca's, I feel the only good reordering of memorized spells is "no reordering": spells shouldn't be reordered, and in case of level drain you should lose the spells you see on the right. This excludes any kind of reordering.

About the spell ordering in the Spellbook, it appears to me that this is more an UI matter as I think it does not affect gameplay, but it might still deserve attention. I like the idea, why don' t you start a new thread and post a few pictures of how your spellbook looks in a non-English version?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Has there ever been a ticket filed for this? @BelegCuthalion?
    I cannot see anything other than the feature request from 8 hours ago, https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/32562.

From the report by @metaentity "a solution... to remove the alphabetical sort... might very well be the solution when a developer look at the problem from http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/24030 since that would be the easiest one"