Skip to content

Tactics mod - BG2EE compatibility - conversion and beta test

Comments

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Alpha 68 released

-important fixes / modifications for Bodhi. I tried to implement the specifications as found in the header of the original baf files. I am particulary interested in any report about the "touch of death" spell behavior.
    Fyi you can leave the area in the chapter6 battle once Bodhi is dead. I wanted such a feature but this is also a pseudo fix for the "normal" behaviour in the game. In the unmodded game when Bodhi drops below 10HP she triggers a final dialog (This life is mine), lose her specific immunity and the journal entries are updated but she is not dead yet... In this mod, such a sequence is correctly triggered at the end of the fight (instead of the end of the first part). However, as she regenerates very fast and as she can cast a kind of vampiric spell boosting her HP, you still need 1/2/3/4 good hits to kill her. Now, one of you will die for sure, thus ignoring the journal weird case.
    -little fix for the ritual yellow encounter
    -fixed the condition to exit the guarded compound (2nd floor) which may have failed previously, while here tweak a little bit one of the AI scripts (minotaur) even though, as initially intended, the AI scripts are the original scripts (good or bad).
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    BWS has been updated to use alpha 68.
    MusignyJuliusBorisov
    Alpha 69 released

Some fixes from my own tests:
    - Tougher Druid Grove - create the cre files from scratch (Faldorn and the group of 5 druids). Make them cast a lot of instant spells when they see the party instead of granting permanent effects. Modify the installation procedure to separate Faldorn from the druid grove modifications (@agb1 this means subcomponents with designated numbers are created)
    - Added two modifications to the "Always Toughest Random Spawns in Dungeons". Unrelated to the spawned groups themselves. It is part of the Watcher's Keep modifications making sure the Level 3 demons always call the maximum number of creatures for help (that's the usual case though).
    - Tweak a bit the Fire Giants. Still not sure about what the original author wanted to do. Fix a mistake erroneously boosting their HP.
    - Modify the Ilyich installation scripts so that the mephits found on these three levels are the vanilla game creatures even if the excellent aTweaks mephits are deployed. There will be a way to toggle the parameter later on. @Gotural 's test reminded me of such a required modification.

Now working on a timing issue.
    Btw I reached the chapter 7 in my play test and I will soon be able to appropriately test Irenicus.
    JuliusBorisovinethlazutu
    BWS updated to alpha 69. Thanks @Musigny !
    Musigny
    Alpha 70 release

- weidu upgraded to 239 (without taking into account the new fixes/features yet)
    - fixes for some installation cases
    - (re)tweak Bodhi (not fully re-tested)
    - enable Improved Irenicus in Hell. The sequence of the cutscenes is reworked. Some AI sections were modified (Greed and Wrath are a bit more selective, tweak also some aspect of the casters but the AI structure is the same). All the creatures require an AI update but they are playable. The Irenicus teleport weirdness "feature" is kept for now but I relaxed some parameters to avoid some frustration. As such, during the first and third fights, he apparently is able to cast spells from the other side of the map and reciprocally your projectile will follow him while he teleports. That's how it was coded, that's the original flavour. Another wrong parameter is the use of Irenicus (shattered) specific spell which may sometimes help you a lot...
    Ah and btw: no second cloak of cheese for free :wink: (first fight).
    I decided not to drop the player equipement at the start of the second fight, reason being that I remember that a slayer change was in general sufficient to prevail over his own slayer form but there is perhaps something different in EE and most of the time you would fail. Whatever your class is, it is recommended to have a few summons remaining from the first fight to help you during the next phase, they won't be deactivated (your team member are unselectable during this phase).

There is a lot of things that I would like to change in the mod but it's here for you to play and I will start working on the mod structure prior to modifying some component AIs.

The immediate next step is a double fix for the Illithids and the Beholders. This means that even if the mod has all its components acitivated, it remains in alpha state.
    inethGoturalJuliusBorisov
    Alpha 71 release

Just two little fixes for Improved Irenicus (last cutscene character positionning and Orb of Fear spell erroneously dispelable)
    GoturalJuliusBorisovlazutu
    Alpha 72 released

-Fixes for the illithids / psionic stuff.
    JuliusBorisovlazutu
    Alpha 73 release

-A few more illithids modifications
    -fix for both the unmodded and modded psionic life drain spell
    -minor fix for Bodhi's weapon

tagged as valid for @agb1

Components are pre-classified in 3 different classes. However those groups are not activated for now.

1- "current" => will enhance the configuration and/or AI.
    Improved Ilyich, Improved Torgal, Improved Bodhi, Improved Irenicus, Improved Guarded Compound, Kuroisan, Red Badge, Improved Mae'Var, Lich in the Docks, Tougher Kangaxx, Gnome Illusionist in the docks, Always Toughest Random Spawns in Dungeons, Streamlined Trolls.

2- "historical" => bugfixes only.
    Improved Sahuagin City, Improved Twisted Rune, Improved Demon Knights, Improved Crypt King, Random Cty Encounters, Random Wilderness Encounters, Improved Undead, Improved Mind Flayers, Smarter Dragons, Smarter Beholders, Smarter Vampires, Smarter Mages and Liches, Smarter Golems, Improved Nymphs, Improved Copper Coronet, Improved Oasis, Improved Small Teeth Pass, Improved North Forest, Marching Mountains, Demon AI, Tougher Druid Grove, Tougher Fire Giants.

3- Kits / NPCs / Item upgrade mods => bugfixes only.
    Generic Archer Kit, Anti-Paladin Kit...
    JuliusBorisovGoturalSpaceInvaderlazutu
    BWS updated to 0.73 alpha. BWS uses --force-install-list <<component nums>> to install only those components that were selected by the user, so it disregards GROUPs. Thanks for the note though!
    Musigny
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    @Musigny
    Here is complete Czech translation for Tactic:

https://dropbox.com/s/c25ymlzgslgm12i/Tactic%20-%20Czech.zip?dl=0

Can you please add this language to the installer? ;)
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
    Edvin said:

@Musigny

Here is complete Czech translation for Tactic:

https://dropbox.com/s/c25ymlzgslgm12i/Tactic%20-%20Czech.zip?dl=0

Can you please add this language to the installer? ;)

Thanks! Glad to see a contribution to this mod.
    Yes I will do it for the next release.
    JuliusBorisovlazutu
  • lazutulazutu Member Posts: 118
    Sorry if it's a repost: how does this mod fare with SCS? I'd never install SCS over Tactics, but BG2:EE made me do it. I really can't stand SCS's mage fixation (only doable through meticulous preparations or Inquisitor's dispel spam).
    Musigny
    Nevermind, found the "Specific note for the Stratagems(SCS) and aTweaks users compatibility.txt". Thats a relief, since SCS is not needed to completely enjoy my good ol' mod!

I'll follow up with an additional question: what with IWD2-items NPC and two joinable NPC's, Valen and Soulafein?
    Musigny
    edited April 2016
    Update on all other http://weidu.org/ mods: I've encountered no problems installing several mods (Underrepresented items, Valen, Soulafein, Item upgrade), even though Weidu itself wasnt updated! It seems that BG 2.0 patched the problems I've encountered with installing in BG2:EE (couldn't install any). Since I've already installed this Tactics version, is anyone brave and careless enough to try and install vanilla Tactics from weidu.org and share information with? :)
    Being able to install an old mod with a more modern weidu version means nothing in terms of compatibility.
    I would expect Valen and Solaufein to require some modifications, at least the charset conversion, but I haven't dealt with them.
    The latest Item upgrade version is ok on EE. (I dislike its "hidden" modification of Carsomyr for instance, the G3 fixpack did the right thing).
    Tactics was nice on the original version of BG2. Overwritting files which were supposed to be final versions was ok but it started to go wrong as the eco-system created by the fixpack and other mods diverged from the original files. And that's even more amplified with the release of EE.
    lazutu
    City encounters is not working, I've read all the pages, going to try to reinstall the mod now.
    Gotural
    edited April 2016
    "Skipping the additional encounters triggered by area "traps" - what? That's a mod practically required if someone wants to upgrade items via item upgrade mod. Is it possible to have this vanilla option back please, as a separate installation option?
    Post edited by lazutu on
    Gotural
    Update (sorry for repost)

Managed to reinstall without issues. Providing additional info here.

Do NOT remove .tp2 files of any installed mods from the main folder, you will mess up reinstalling (will ask for a newer version) AND uninstalling the mods.

Installation order:
    1) Tactics2_for_EE-alpha73 - fully working, tested in story mode. No Random City Encounters (yet). Do NOT miss the very first installation, where "0" language is set to German (de_de folder). All of your mods will still be installed, but every NPC and item will have an "Invalid: number" string. Copying dialog.talk from de_de after installing the mods can do the job, but better reinstall Weidu language options, or reinstall the game.
    2) Ascension-1520160409b2 - full working, tested in story mode & on insane difficulty.
    3) Weimer-Underrep-v6 - fully working, all items presented and debuffs applied properly.
    4) Weimer-ItemUpgrade-v40 - fully working, all items working and craftable.

5) Valen - do NOT install if you want to have the final TOB battle. Final boss has some lines for Valen, and wont initiate any dialogue/wont summon Irenicus & Bodhi. Game goes into a limbo state. Paladin encounter works still works, though. She cannot be summoned via Fate Spirit.
    6) Soulafein - do NOT install if you want to have the final TOB battle, same as Valen. All other encounters work (spiders, final eclipse tested - no problems).

Can anybody please fix these ascension text strings to work? Without all Weidu mods/NPC's, game feels incomplete :(. Thank you for reading!
    GoturalJuliusBorisov
    I think I already replied the Valen and Solaufein stuff. Short version: don't install them.
    This is a thread about Tactics2 anyway.

I do not recommend using the random encounters at all. These components did not work properly (original version). I (partially ?) stablized them but they basically require a rewrite and it takes too much time to do so, clearly that's not my priority.
    Instead give Unfinished Business a try (and/or Stratagems).
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    How's the progress on this almost a month later?
    Edvin

How's the progress on this almost a month later?

I cannot properly use a computer at the moment (injuries).
    The few things I do are 100% professional.
    I am deeply sorry but there is no progress for this mod to be expected during this spring.
    RavenslightCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • EinzbernEinzbern Member Posts: 4
    Seem to have run into an issue. Whenever I try to install this mod, the command windows just seems to hang when it asks to install the nymphs mod. The window refuses to take any inputs, and I'm forced to exit. I've tried making that the only part of the mod I installed(other than the core), and it still hangs.
    Musigny
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    @Einzbern
    That component has a non-ASCII character in its name.
    Maybe your command prompt isn't configured to accept the correct character encoding?
    Musigny
    edited June 2016
    @ineth You may very well be right. How would I go about configuring my command prompt to accept non-ASCII characters?

Edit/Update-
    Awhile back, I had set my Windows system locale to Japanese. I switched it back to English(United States), and this tactics mod installed fine.
    Post edited by Einzbern on
    Musigny
    @Einzbern
    The debug file in your main folder may help understand your problem. Could you please send it?

When I started the adaptation for EE, I had no agreement with the original owner and I coded everything to be reused or transformed on the fly. Meanwhile I got the permission to work on the original mod, therefore the next version will be UTF-8 only (with no headers). At the moment the in-game dialogs are converted to UTF-8 but the installation text is still set to use various locales because Microsoft which used to be well ahead of the other providers when it comes to locale settings, still uses a non UTF-8 console for its historical CLI windows.
    That won't fix all problems but at least people will have a single starting point to deal with.
    JuliusBorisov
    Unfortunately I don't have the original debug file anymore. I ended up installing the original tactics mod, something went wrong and I started over from scratch. Ineth's post gave me the idea to switch back to English locale, and then your version installed fine.

Sorry.
    Musigny
  • unholy_avengerunholy_avenger Member Posts: 29
    Is there any way to install the Anti-Paladin component in Baldur's Gate 1 EE and SoD? I'd like to do a trilogy run with that character, but I can't install it on anything other than BG2EE.

Is there any way to install the Anti-Paladin component in Baldur's Gate 1 EE and SoD? I'd like to do a trilogy run with that character, but I can't install it on anything other than BG2EE.

Not at the moment but that shouldn't be difficult to modify.
    Do you have any specifications of a new anti-pal weapon to implement in BG1EE?
  • unholy_avengerunholy_avenger Member Posts: 29
    Hm, hadn't really thought about a weapon. Maybe a +2 Two-Handed Sword with something like 10% MR? It fits with the theme without being OP.
    CrevsDaakMusigny
    edited October 2016
    Anyone up to update and package all available and checked info into the main post? Also, it would be great for a down-to-earth more or less exact timeframes, rather than "I plan to work on this mod... eventually". I am ready to support the modder with what I've got - I don't know, is 10 bucks enough from a couple hundred people on a Patreon/other donate page?

This, and Ascension's thread, is looking like a mess now. I wish we had SOME SORT OF changelog of people working on these two epochal mods: a changelog that includes
    1) people who worked on it (and why they stopped, if it's appropriate and allowed by the one who stopped)
    2) people who are working on it
    3) a timeframe for future updates and similar info
    4) persisting bugs
    5) other

Sorry if I sounded rude (rude again), I know we all became too triggered in 2016. I - and I'm sure, many others - just want transparent info on these incredibly important and loved mods for the BG series.