Skip to content

[Mod Request] Sorcerer/Monk kit based on Avatar the Last Airbender

Atli_GimpAtli_Gimp Member Posts: 12
Hi there.

I have no experience in modding other than the basic EEkeeper, sounds and portraits.
Since I don't know, from personal experience, the work that goes into making mods I must apologize in advance if I don't seem to comprehend the options or limitations of modding.
Having said that, I just want to throw this idea out there if anyone is interested in expanding on it.

The basic idea is to have several monk/sorcerer kits based on the four elements of Avatar the last Airbender; Waterbender, Firebender, Earthbender & Airbender. A combination of spellcasting with hand-to-hand combat with spells relating to the relevant element of said class.

I guess the dragon disciple kit isn't that far off. We also have the Sun Sol Monk and the Dark Moon Monk but I would like to see the idea expanded upon.

Each class would only receive spells from the appropriate element and all other spells would be off limits.
Since I'm not a modder, I don't know if it would be better to have these elemental abilities as Innate or as Spells. I did browse the spells in EEkeeper and found some Mephit innate abilities that I think could work well with these classes like: Earth Bolt, Earthen Grasp, Ice Bolt e.t.c.

Here's a link to specialized bending techniques: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Specialized_bending_techniques

"...Each fighting style was chosen to represent the element it projected. T'ai chi was used for "Waterbending" in the series, which focuses on alignment, body structure, breath, and visualization. Hung Gar was used for "Earthbending" in the series, and was chosen for its firmly rooted stances and powerful strikes to present the solid nature of earth. Northern Shaolin, which uses strong arm and leg movements was used to represent "Firebending". Ba Gua, which uses dynamic circular movements and quick directional changes, was used for "Airbending".[18][41][42] The only exception to these styles is Toph, who can be seen practicing a Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis style.[43]" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender

BENDING
Bending is the ability to manipulate an element and is significant to many aspects of life in the world. There are four known bending arts that bend a specific physical element. The four elemental bending arts are based on the four classical elements, water, earth, fire, and air, and each is manipulated through certain martial art styles which are reminiscent of the qualities of the element itself. While bending is traditionally performed through the motions of one's hands and feet, certain benders are able to effectively manipulate their element with only minimal movement of their body, such as by using just their head or torso. In even rarer cases, benders are able to perform their bending without the aid of any physical movement at all, by instead using sheer focus and force of will, a skill known as psychic bending.

AIRBENDER
Air is the element of freedom. Airbenders detach themselves from worldly concerns and live for peace and freedom. Air bending concentrates on speed and evasion, forgoing a strong offense for a greater defense. Though apparently lacking fatal finishing moves, it is the most dynamic of all the bending arts. As the element of freedom, airbenders use their capability to bend unencumbered by the ground or any other environmental factors and use their own momentum as a weapon, evading attacks with astounding agility to tire their opponents out or building up massive inertia for explosive gusts of wind to make their counterattacks finishing moves. Airbenders, when resorting to physical confrontation, are able to harness the immense and intangible power of wind. Airbending's opposite is earthbending and the confrontational style that serves as its foundation. Airbenders can use a flight technique by operating a glider and using the air to provide thrust and lift. The sub-skills of airbending are flight and spiritual projection. Flight has only been achieved by two people in the entire history of airbending. Airbending is the element of freedom and its season is autumn.

[Spell suggestions]
- Blindness
- Orb of Air
- Blur
- Deafness
- Glitterdust
- Invisibility
- Mirror Image
- Silence
- Stinking Cloud
- Flawless Teleport
- Haste
- Invisibility, 10' Radius
- Zone of Sweet Air
- Free Action
- Improved Invisibility
- Cloudkill
- Pixie Dust
- Death Fog
- Improved Haste
- Lashing Wind
- Mislead
- (Something like Wing Buffet but not nearly as powerful, maybe just a knockback of a single enemy)

FIREBENDER
Fire is the element of power. Firebenders have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want. Firebending is the most aggressive bending art. Dragons were the first firebenders. Unlike other benders who depend on external sources of their elements to bend, firebenders can create fire using their internal heat source in addition to controlling already existent flames. As the element of power, firebenders have to be able to maintain a constant source of energy and balance in battle, unleashing a volley of direct, successive attacks. Firebending's relatively simple and direct style contrasts the complex and changing style of waterbending. For a long time, disciplines of firebending were taught to be fueled by hatred, as opposed to the original source. Skilled firebenders are able to fly using powerful jets of flames. The sub-skills for firebending are combustionbending, generating and redirecting lightning. Firebending is the element of power and its season is summer

[Spell suggestions]
- Burning hands
- Faerie Fire
- Fire Bolt
- Flame Strike
- Shocking Grasp
- Agannazar's Scorcher
- Flame Blade
- Sparks
- Thunderslap
- Call Lightning
- Fireball
- Flame Arrow
- Lightning Bolt
- Melf's Minute Meteors
- Fireshield Red
- Melf's Explosive Meteors
- Sunfire
- Chain Lightning
- Fire Seeds
- Sol's Searing Orb
- Delayed Blast Fireball
- Firestorm
- Spectacular combustion
- Sunray
- Thunderbolt
- Vestcakes Floating Curse
- Incendiary Cloud
- Infernal Combustion Enigma
- Energy Blades
- Meteor Swarm
- Spirit Fire
- (Abilities similar to Sun Sol Monk)

EARTHBENDER
Earth is the element of substance. Earthbenders are diverse and strong, they are persistent and enduring. Earthbending demands a special connection with the earth that is achievable with neutral jing, listening, though seemingly doing nothing, and waiting for the right moment to strike. Like waterbenders, earthbenders gain an advantage or disadvantage in battle based on the amount of earth around them, though the conditions are not as extreme. Because of their element's stability and its stress on neutral jing, earthbenders stand their ground, absorbing or intercepting attacks until they completely overwhelm their opponents. Unlike the other bending arts, earthbending's strength equally lies in both offense and defense. Earthbending is in stark contrast to airbending as airbending's emphasis is on evasion and mobility while earthbending's emphasis is on fortitude and strength. The sub-skills for earthbending are seismic sense, metalbending, and lavabending. Earthbending is the element of substance and its season is spring.

[Spell suggestions]
- Magical Stone
- Protection from Petrification
- Armor / (Metal bending)
- Detect Invisibility / (seismic sense)
- Knock
- Detect Illusion / (seismic sense)
- Protection from normal missiles
- Slow
- Defensive Harmony
- Stoneskin
- Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental
- Gravitational Field
- Iron Skins / (Metal bending)
- Conjure Earth Elemental
- Flesh to Stone
- Stone to Flesh
- True Sight
- Earthquake
- Regeneration
- Bigby's Clenched Fist
- Absolute Immunity
- Bigby's Crushing Hand
- Armor Melt / (Metal bending)
- Shapeshift into Earth elemental
- (Hurl rocks?)

WATERBENDER
Water is the element of change. Waterbenders are capable of adapting to many things. They have a deep sense of community and love that holds them togeather through anything. A versatile element, it is unique in the sense that the original bender of the element was not an animal, but rather the Moon. Similar to their element, waterbenders are extremely adaptable and versatile. Waterbending concentrates on the flow of energy and focuses less on strength and more on turning the opponent's own energy against them. While a bender's victory in battle depends on their skill or ingenuity, waterbenders, unlike other benders, gain a serious advantage or disadvantage depending on the amount of water around them, although highly skilled waterbenders can draw water from anywhere; they can draw humidity from the air and bend the water in living things, especially plants. As the element of change, waterbenders can fluidly and quickly alternate from defense to offense, from a wall of ice to a jet of water, turning their opponent's strength against them. The opposite of waterbending is firebending, with its relatively stagnant, direct philosophy. The sub-skills for waterbending are healing and bloodbending. Waterbending is the element of change and its season is winter.

[Spell Suggestions]
- Chill Touch
- Cure Light Wounds
- Entangle / (Bending the moisture in living things)
- Grease
- Barkskin / (Bending the moisture in living things)
- Cure Moderate Wounds
- Icebolt
- Writhing Fog
- Cure Disease
- Cure Medium Wounds
- Hold Person / (Blood bending)
- Ray of Frost
- Cure Serious Wounds
- Ice Storm
- Fireshield Blue
- Cone of Cold
- Cure Critical Wounds
- Deep Freeze
- Mass Cure
- Choking Vines / (Bending the moisture in living things)
- Delorous Decay / (Bending the moisture in living things)
- Heal
- Physical Mirror
- Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting / (Bending the moisture in living things)
- Mental Domination / (Blood bending)

To me the basic idea would be:
Airbending = Evasion and speed
Firebending = Quick attacks and a powerful offense
Earthbending = Slower but hardier, strong defense and hard hitting attacks.
Waterbending = Healing, crowd control, immobilizing attacks and reflective defense.

Of course these are just suggestions and if anyone is interested in taking this on, said person would have complete freedom to do whatever.
I thought about putting the electric skills into the Airbender suggestions but I don't know... The show doesn't attribute electricity to Airbending so I'm not going to.

Cheers.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Atli_Gimp
  • Atli_GimpAtli_Gimp Member Posts: 12
    @subtledoctor Nice, that sounds pretty interesting. I'd love to take a look :)
    Atli_Gimp
    @subtledoctor Wow, that's a massive undertaking and looks really promising. Is the mod available for download somewhere?
    I don't want to suggest any additions to your mod since it's probably a whole lot of work already, but from what I've read on that thread you posted; it seems like a couple of monk kits with elemental spheres would benefit greatly from your mod *hint, hint* ;)
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I really like your ideas and the fact that you didn't overlap spells/abilities. It would be too easy to create an overpowered kit with the best of each. Each of the benders has their own unique flavors and play styles.

I have no experience with modding, but I fully support this being turned into a mod!
    Atli_Gimp
    @Pteran Thanks, I agree that these kits could very easily become overpowered and in fact; I think that if every single spell suggestion would be integrated into each class it would probably become OP. Hence; the reason I labeled them suggestions. It would probably be interesting to add different "protection from [insert element]" to each bender contrasting the opposing element of said bender. In a perfect scenario; each bending class would have innate abilities corresponding to their native element and gain different abilities at later levels in addition to their basic abilities getting stronger.

Basic abilities would include:

Waterbender => Waterwhip ( Slashing dmg + entangle single target ? )
    Airbender => Airslice ( Single target [and later arced, like colorspray] knockback )
    Earthbender => Rock Chuck ( Blunt dmg, almost like a sling&bullet but with added effects; slow? stun? )
    Firebender => Fireballs or "Fire-jabs" ( Another basic ability, jabs and punches produce miniature fireballs and missiles of flame. [Something like minute meteors, or flame arrow or something] )

There's actually a list on the Avatar wiki regarding bending moves, their level of mastery and a description of each move:

Firebending => http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Firebending
    Earthbending => http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Earthbending
    Waterbending => http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Waterbending
    Airbending => http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Airbending

I would imagine these to be valuable resources to anyone who would be interested in making this mod... if there is such a person ;)

Again, I don't know how much work would be involved in making this mod so I apologize for my lack of understanding.
    Atli_Gimp
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Is there some kind of tutorial to help get started making kits or the spells necessary for these? I have no experience with modding =/
    Atli_Gimp
    Atli_Gimp