Skip to content

Game wont load at all immediate crash

odinsfuryodinsfury Member Posts: 6
Game immediately crashes after hitting play. No baldur.lua file to be found anywhere to edit as some posts have suggested.
windows 10 pro
64 bit
3Ghz intel core 2 duo
4Gb
Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Comments

• odinsfuryodinsfury Member Posts: 6
    And to clarify exactly where anywhere is ive looked in
    Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

C:/Program Files(x86)/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

C:/Program Files(x86)/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Data/00766
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Could you attach a directx diagnostics file please @odinsfury via Windows/R -> type dxdiag and click ok -> let it run -> save all information.

& in the meantime could you try unzipping this to your documents -> Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder before trying to launch the game. Not sure it will work/help but is a newly created file with the alternate renderer enabled.
    Thanks
    @gate70 thanks for the reply. Have downloaded and unzipped the baldur.lua file you provided and moved it into mydocuments/baldur's gate - enhanced edition. i tryed both with the baldur folder and without the folder with no change. still get an immediate crash and dump report

I ran the diagnostic tool as you asked and here are the results.
    dont know why that didnt attach here are the dxdiag
    this is the error file created when the baldur.lua file is added to
    documents/baldur's gate - enhanced edition

not sure if this helps but ill try to give as much info as i can

Your graphics driver appears to predate Windows 10. There are a few things that may help, as below.

1. Run Windows Update and ensure you have all the latest updates. e.g. to directx, drivers.

2. Check if there is an updated Intel graphics driver available, e.g. via
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
    n.b. there may not be a suitable Windows 10 driver for this graphics chipset - further detail at
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43274/windows-10-and-the-mobile-intel-r-4-series-express-chipset-family-causing-lag

3. Try installing directx 9.0c (it can install alongside later versions)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    installing the directx that you recommended worked as far as getting the game to launch. Now as you suspected the game is lagging pretty badly due to the non existent driver for windows 10. Looks like i will be going back to windows 7.

@gate70 thank you for your time and help. couldn't be any happier with the product or the support. cant wait to be playing again on my newer laptop
    @odinsfury now you have a lua file created try switching to the alternate renderer (from options > graphics in-game and close/restart the exe, or close the exe and edit the lua file to use directx as below).
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')
    instead of OpenGL: SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0')

Might help with the lag, might not.