Skip to content

Does Insane difficulty raise enemy HP and other stats?

I'm playing on Insane for the first time ever and enemies seem to have more HP than normal, I checked with the Infinity editor.

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited July 2016
    I believe they do but I can't remember the formula. Maybe that was just for LOB mode though. Game description doesn't show anything extra for insane beside enemies do 100% more damage.
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    No, and you can turn off the damage increase as a separate setting. There's a lot more enemies, and of harder types.
    ThacoBell
  • KaitekKaitek Member Posts: 43
    I'm not seeing an increased number of enemies, nor any harder types of enemies for now. Is that supposed to work only for random encounters? The HP increase is pretty evident though, they all have about 30-100% more than they should. Has anyone finished a playthrough on insane? Would like a bit more info about this difficulty, the ingame description of it is pretty vague and probably incorrect.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I've never noticed an HP difference (or a number/type difference outside of SoD), but I generally play with a mod that gives all enemies max HP, so it's possible that's interfering with something.
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    edited July 2016
    Kaitek said:

I'm not seeing an increased number of enemies, nor any harder types of enemies for now. Is that supposed to work only for random encounters? The HP increase is pretty evident though, they all have about 30-100% more than they should. Has anyone finished a playthrough on insane? Would like a bit more info about this difficulty, the ingame description of it is pretty vague and probably incorrect.

There's no HP increase. Everyone will be doing a little more damage than normal because normal cuts the damage by a bit compared to Core. It depends on where, and you'll see harder *types* of enemies.

And yes, I only play on insane with SCS. BG2 has many, many liches. Most mummy packs have liches on insane.
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    Insane has no increase in hp for enemies, and in fact has no impact on the individual enemies at all. Certain encounters have more enemies, though I've never seen it be relevant in bg1, which has minimal scaling either by level or difficulty setting, honestly. It's much more prominent in bg2 and I think IWD as well.

The most prominent mechanical impact insane has is a passively tacking an extra 100% to any damage received by your party. This is not tied to enemies (friendly fire will also cause it). Legacy of Bhaal difficulty gives a massive increase to enemy hp, but insane has none, nor does it give AC, resistances, or anything else that would positively impact enemy survivability. It again, has 0 impact on the enemies themselves, and instead functions by debuffing the party.

If you're seeing extra hp on enemies the most likely culprit is a mod, since you aren't reporting high enough values to be seeing LoB creatures, which have triple hp plus an additional 80. Since you claim to have checked the creatures themselves and are seeing higher values, I'd venture a guess that one of your mods changes the way insane works. Read the associated documentation to figure out what it does.
  • AnaxieAnaxie Member Posts: 79
    I like Insane mode. Insane with SCS is just about perfect.
  • IhatememesIhatememes Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2016
    Insane is core rules + double damage+ upgraded enemies in selected encounters (example: kobold commando with fire arrows instead of regular kobolds with regular arrows). An Ogre berserker won't have more hp or better saves in core than on insane.