Skip to content

Proficiency for Mage/Cleric

Hey all, playing BG2 for the first time. I have a mage/cleric, just leveling up and wondering what to spend my proficiency point on? I already have one in staff, sling and mace to which the game will not allow me to add another point to. The only things available are warhammer, club, single weapon style, two handed weapon style, two weapon style and sword and shield style. I really don't know what to do. To my understanding single weapon style will not benefit my sling or staff but will benefit mace though I never use it and my to hit is probably abysmal being a duel class mage/cleric. The only proficiency that would appear to be worth anything at this point would be two handed weapon style to give a slight boost to my quarterstaff. Any suggestions cause I'm kind of at a loss?

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    If you use a shield I would put the point into the sword and shield style. If you don't use the shield but have the quarterstaff in hand then I would suggest two handed weapon style. Generally I prefer the shield on my cleric/mages since their thaco is bad anyway so I will do anything to reduce the chance they get hit.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Be aware that sword and shield style won't help while you're using your sling, though. I notice that you didn't mention flail/morningstar, which is another option.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    That is true, good choice for solo. I am not sure if @rfxcasey is running solo or with a party? I usually end up with the Flail of Ages on a front line fighter though.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I tend to avoid sword and shield style as it only grants a defensive bonus against missiles. I find it useful in BG1, but not so much in BG2 when there are so many great shields. I'd rather be proficient with another weapon or put it in two-handed weapon style if I'm inclined to bash things with staves.
  • rfxcaseyrfxcasey Member Posts: 18
    I went with two handed weapon style as I'm reading there are some nice staffs to be had. I mostly prefer ranged on my mages but its nice to have as good a melee weapon as possible for backup. Since it won't let me equip a shield while the sling is in use, with the right scrip when attacked close quarters they'll automatically switch to two handed staff. Thanks for the information.
    Hmmm.... you should be able to use a sling while holding a shield. I thought @joluv was referring to the defensive bonus with sword and shield style? In any case, there are indeed great staves and there are great spell buffs to give your character some power in melee.
  • rfxcaseyrfxcasey Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2016
    As far as I can tell Aeria is incapable of using a shield. I think I tried a buckler on her as well, but I may be mistaken.

Anyways, did I mention how freaking awesome this game is? Absolutely love it. I've got IWD 1 and 2 to play after SOA and TOB. One annoying thing is path finding seems worse then in BG 1. I'm playing the GOG version.
    It could be that Aerie's strength wasn't sufficient to use the shield you tried?

As for enjoying the game: great to hear it, and welcome to the club! You have countless hours of enjoyment ahead. :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, you can use shields with slings, Aerie just has terrible strength.
  • MadaeMadae Member Posts: 24
    Warhammer, definitely. You could actually be a pretty nasty damage dealer with Crom Faeyr and those mage levels.