Skip to content

Looking for proficiency advice

I'm doing a full trilogy run with a F/M/T, and am switching from single weapon to two weapon style. I have longswords and am trying to decide on a second weapon. I'm tired of doing Katanas and want a shorter bladed weapon for the offhand. I'm more going for neat weapons effects over damage. I know that a dagger available in Hexxat's quest line has stun. I also know of a couple neat short swords (health drain and +APR). Does anyone know of any weapons with interesting effects that I could try?

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited July 2016
    I often go with Dagger. I find the Dagger Of Venom +2 is great for early BG1EE.

Edit - Sorry just saw this is for BG2EE, sorry!
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited July 2016
    I'd agree that daggers are pretty interesting if you're just looking for something different - although hammers/clubs can be interesting too since it gives you a good mix of damage with your longswords (slashing/blunt) which will be handy later on in the character's life, as well as against skeletons - depending on what kind of party you'll be running with.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Stiletto of Demarchess +2
    20% chance on each hit that the target must save vs. Death or be held for two rounds.

Pixie Prick +3
    Target must save vs. poison or fall asleep for two rounds.

Kachiko's Wakizashi
    Drains 2 points of target's Wisdom (lasts 2 rounds) on each hit (target must save vs. death to avoid wisdom loss).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Mr2150 Yeah, I agree its great in BG1.
    @Gallenger I will be having minsc on hammers/maces probably, but clubs could be interesting. Do you know any good one?
    @God Those do give me something to think about. I didn't know about the wakizashi.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited July 2016
    In the EE for BG1 you've got a solid +2 club option - for BG2 you've got a +3 acid dealing club - which again while not the flashiest option at all, blunt + acid is nice because the acid damage will penetrate certain physical protections even if the club damage doesn't.

For ToB you have the club of detonation which is an... interesting weapon to say the least it can do completely absurd amounts of damage but it also causes a detonation to occur on hit so you have to be careful about when you use it (fire damage in an AoE) :o

So they're not the *greatest* weapon choice ever, but it's different.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited July 2016
    I like an axe as a second weapon. I usually have throwing axes and then switch to a returning axe as soon as I get one. One proficiency counts for melee and missile weapons. B) Dual wielding Angurvadal and the Axe of the Unyielding. >:)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    You can buy the Short Sword of Mask +4 at Watcher's Keep (you don't have to enter).
    The club of detonation definitely sounds interesting.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Ilbratha is only +1 but it gives you mirror image once per day. Arbane's sword gives you immunity to hold and haste for 12 seconds per day.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    It's not really worth wielding though, you can just use it then switch to something better.
    Alright, after playing around a bit, I think I'm going to go with daggers. They have a lot more intresting effects than other weapon types. Thanks for all the good advice.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I was perusing the "new magic items in BG2EE" thread the other day and was reminded of another dagger that you might be interested in:

Jade fang +3 (5% chance to stun for 10secs, restores 1 hp to user with each hit)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If you want the best weapons go for flails as your next proficiency. Use Kundane offhand, it's the best short bladed weapon ;)
    @joluv Yeah, I plan on picking it up, its in Hexxat's first quest.
    @FinneousPJ I'm not really going for "best", this run is more for weapons that have neat effects. I find the +APR weapons boring. Going longswords and daggers.