Skip to content

Final battle on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty...

AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
Hi all,
I am stuck in the final battle on LoB mode... If you have succeeded, could you please give me some advice?
Thanks in advance!
PS: My party is: Fighter-Thief, Corwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Neera and Edwin

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I've edited the thread title not to give spoilers. Carry on!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    how did you get past the green dragon on LoB? that battle was brutal enough on insane
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    I had Viconia kill him with a Slay Living spell :-) It took a few tries before he missed his Save vs. Spell, though..
  • beargryllzbeargryllz Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2016
    I'm also stuck here. I'm doing LoB solo as a sorceror. I first noticed the limitations at Sendai, where I spent like 20 minutes before getting a bad string of wishes and had to reload. Ravager is similarly annoying, taking an obscene amount of time.

The Green Dragon was the last major battle where I felt really confident. This battle is won with a series of planetars, projected images, and simulacrums. Up until this point, a planetar will pretty much beat the game for you. He will kill your planetars if you let him. Use magic swords and hope he keeps attacking them long enough to get you distance to re-summon, re-buff, or wish. He can catch you if you don't have cheetah boots and haste up, but you will normally have many stoneskins up.

Another battle I'm not looking forward to is the final seal in Watcher's Keep. I did the easy seal with the Rilmani group and was again incredibly frustrated by the unbreachable weapon immunity clause. We both just spammed mirror images and other defensive spells and beat each other to death. I did not use tenser's transformation here, but it might have worked. I still have heart seal and Demogorgon to kill...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @beargryllz This is the SoD forum though you should go on BG2 forum
    Yes, this thread is about the Siege of Dragonspear final battle on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty, nothing to do with the Throne of Bhaal extension of BG2...
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited July 2016
    Altair, I have just beaten this battle on insane difficulty. LOB was too demanding at the start of BGEE so I decided not to use it but I have a few ideas that made this fight easier for me on insane.

At the start of the battle your party will be hit with "panic" status followed instantly by a high level dispel that will knock out all of your pre-buffs. I start the fight with protection from fear cast on the party. This will keep your guys from freaking out but it will be dispelled right away so you need to have your first turn for one of your mages to cast protection from fear again as soon as the fight starts.

I would have a second mage use the figurine that summons golems. These golems can last and last during this fight and they will act as a damage sponge throughout the encounter.

It doesn't hurt to have a potion of freedom ready for consumption on each character to prevent stun effects. Use a wand of summoning to spam the battlefield as much as possible to distract the demons.

You need +3 weapons to hit the final boss so make sure your party is equipped for the situation. The boss hits like a tank so I used the shards to have Jebb make +3 bullets that drain the enemies strength so he can't damage you as much. I had two characters with 40+3 darkshard bullets and two characters with 50 +3 arrows as well as a character with +3 bolts. If you have the +3 longsword from hell and the +3 two handed sword from the underground river then you should be able to bring the pain up close once you have allowed the strength draining bullets to do their work. If you apply pressure hard enough it should allow the shining lady to survive which will also help since she can tank and do damage to the boss. I also hit the boss with spell thrust and breach a few times over the course of the battle but it was more out of paranoia than anything. I used all 3 charges on the golem figurine during this battle and I used a large portion of my +3 ammo for all weapons. I would hoard this stuff and save it for this battle.

This fight is chaotic and it can go in many directions. You want to keep your party hasted. I wouldn't pre-buff at all outside of protection from fear while in the lift before the fight. Make sure you have all of your spells ready to go before you enter the lift.

I hope this helps though I know LOB mode is much harder than insane.

The trick for me was hitting him with long range +3 ammo while the shining lady and the golem absorbed all the damage. Once the bullets drain his strength then you can bring a few front liners up to do more serious damage. Outside of that just keep your protection from fear and haste going and spam as much summons into the fight as possible. I dedicate one character to spamming with a wand of summoning and helping out with demons while the other five focus on the boss.
    Post edited by the_sextein on
    One last thing I forgot to mention before. You will need a thief with 100% detect illusions so that the boss is not invisable otherwise you won't be able to hit him. True site can help but he will disappear over and over again to get away from it. A thief with detect illusions will make this battle go much faster.

Another option you can try is to split your party up as soon as the battle starts. Add a few summons around the boss and then split your group up and work on taking out all of the other enmies until the only demons around are the ones he gates in. Then take him out so you are not being attacked all the time.
    Thank you for all these great advices!
    edited July 2016
    This has proven more successful for me. I have beaten this fight a few times now using this strategy.

Cast Protection from fear, haste, potion of freedom, and potion of clarity while you are in the lift. When the battle starts use the necklace of ankeg summoning and the golem figurine on the boss to keep him busy. As soon as the summons launch, split your party to the left and right and leave one mage in the center. The mage in the center will get hit by the dispel and all of your other characters will remain buffed. Have your mage cast stoneskin as soon as her buffs fail.

I sent my main character and minsc to the left and corwin, Jahiera and Khalid to the right. Take out the enemy on each side that portals in and by the time you kill them, the enemies from the back corners will be on you. Take them out and then send someone up into the top left corner to take out the lady with the bow.

At this point you should add another summon or two to the boss and move your thief in with detect illusions. Once the boss turns visible have everyone nail him with +3 ammo. Keep the pressure on and he will fall.

Make sure to have the shinning lady on your side so that you have one more friend in the battle that will help distract the enemy. It's important to move your characters to the left and right very quickly at the start of the battle. You want to be on the enemy and swinging before they try to stun you or cast any other nasty spells. If you time it correctly you should be able to put a beating on them.

On LOB mode they will probably take much longer to kill so you may need to add some extra strategy to the fight somewhere. Good Luck.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Can I ask if you guys are playing LoB at "no difficulty based damage" on or off?
    I am playing on insane with SCS and enemies do double damage. I haven't tried this battle in LOB mode and I don't know how I would fair if I did. I have been giving what advice I can simply because nobody else has given any input at this point.
    How on earth did you all even get pass the first or second wave in the catacombs X_X.
    The "Fists" felled as fodders and soon I follow ...
    edited July 2016
    I imported from Baldur's Gate EE so I had 4 necklaces of fireball and two wands of fire with 50 charages each. I would cast web and then launch 5 or 6 fireballs at a time to thin them out and then use long range weapons to clean up until the enemy reached me or the web spell ran out. Then I would use my tanks to clean house with swords.

The gameplay in this game is more like Icewind dale and requires a lot of repetitive AOE usage. I find that wands are pretty much necessary to beat this game on insane with double damage. Wands of paralyzation and frost for strong enemies and fireball, sleep, fear, for crowds. I would blow 80,000 gold on 4 wands with 100 charges each, just to feel safe.
    edited July 2016
    Oh yes, I started fresh LoB not imported ... should have called in my "Arty" ^^.
    That's the problem when starting fresh and not importing X_X

Really feel like bring in the GodBow xD
  • MandragoraMandragora Member Posts: 79
    Get a ring of crusade and soft boots for a fighter, buff everyone with protection from fire and poison, in the beginning don't buff your fighter as much as others. Give potion of clarity to everyone, get freedom from potions and rings.Arm Corwin with arrows+3(i used void arrows). Don't even bother with breaches or lower res, because most of time he is invisible anyway, have Neera summoning non stop(with wand). Have Edwin spam web in center, have Viconia ready with greater restoration scrolls and defensive harmonies and give her Commanders chainmail (-All allies within visual radius immune to fear and morale failure).
    When battle starts, instantly summon some creatures near Caelar and send in your fighter, take few steps back with other party members( to avoid dispel). Your PC will get dispelled but not the other members, that's why you don't buff him too much in the beginning. Once Belhifet uses dispel, move everyone to top (near cages) and star spamming web, have Jaheira fight demons and start buffing your fighter, then start hunting Belhi with him and Corwin.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    This battle in LoB difficulty is quite long but not too hard. Two of my Fighters lacked +3 weapons so it's definitely achievable with a more optimised party. Enchant Weapon would do fine too. Don't count on Caelar, she dies within a few rounds.

The trick is to buff before with potions: Strength, Speed, Heroism, Invicibility, Clarity. Belhifet dispels at the start of the fight like he does in IWD. But this time, you can avoid it by casting Immunity to Abjuration. So, all your buffs can stay in place.

Then, there's the matter of the lesser demons assisting. I occupy them with summoned cannon fodder. They can be affected by certain spells too like Hopelessness. Watch out for Cornugons, they are extremely tough and dangerous. They have an ability that drains all your life and cast Lightning Bolt.

I had no problem with Belhifet being invisible. He never disapeared completely. Just some random teleport from time to time.