Skip to content

stuck in windowed mode?

2»

Comments

• Nothing_to_see_hereNothing_to_see_here Member Posts: 31
    I have the same problem. It worked perfectly some weeks ago, then I updated to Windows 10 (from 7) and went on a holiday. Now when I start Baldurs gate I can't get it to work in full screen.
    When I click Full screen in the options, the button lights up but nothing more happens and when I check the options again the button is dark again.

I don't have an .ini file. If I change Full Screen in the .lua file to 1 and save, then starts baldurs gate, it's still in windowed mode and when I check the .lua again it's back to 0.

So the game refuses to accept the full screen mode. I can change the resolution in windowed mode in the lua so I can edit it, it's just the full screen it doesn't accept.

The UAC always ask for permission when I start it but I don't know if that's normal.
  • LuitstraLuitstra Member Posts: 22
    deleteing did work

do I use

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')

in .lua or .ini?

also does it prevent steam achievments?

I mostly use cheats for bugfixing or dicking around (going on a murder spree)
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    For v2.0+ you can delete the INI files - the game uses a LUA file!

For v2.0+ Any changes/editions you make should always be in the LUA file .... I'm not sure about Steam Achievements however.

@Nothing_to_see_here Try making sure that both Full Screen and Maximised are set as:

SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Maximized','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Full Screen','1')

Make sure the game is not running when you make the changes.

If that fails, try deleting the LUA file completely, that worked for @Luitstra !
    Mr2150 said:

@Nothing_to_see_here Try making sure that both Full Screen and Maximised are set as:

SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Maximized','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Full Screen','1')

Make sure the game is not running when you make the changes.

If that fails, try deleting the LUA file completely, that worked for @Luitstra !

I did a reinstall earlier today and before that I tried with Maximized as both 0 and 1. Odd thing though, after the reinstallation I don't have Maximized any more. There are no entries for the resolution either. Strange that those entries have dissapeared, one would think that if the game needed them, they should be there..

And I did not change the lua while the game was running. :)

And I have also tried deleting it. It doesn't help.

Could a mother file be hidden someplace else perhaps? I have only checked in the documents folder and the game folder but perhaps I should look around some more...
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    It should only be in one of those two places... your issue is something different, I think. I know that you can sometimes cause conflicts if you have more than 1 copy of baldur.lua in various places...

Open Windows Explorer in Windows 10 and do a search for baldur.lua

You should only find it in the My Documents/*game* folder.
    deleting .ini and .lua fixed the problem Thank you very much for your help everyone:)
    Mr2150 said:

It should only be in one of those two places... your issue is something different, I think. I know that you can sometimes cause conflicts if you have more than 1 copy of baldur.lua in various places...

Open Windows Explorer in Windows 10 and do a search for baldur.lua

You should only find it in the My Documents/*game* folder.

I had a copy on another place but deleting that didn't help.

It happened when I switched to windows 10. Are there any experts on that thing here?
    (siggh I hate to do this guys but the problem is back...

it worked fine for BG:EE and now I tried to boot BGII:EE and it went up in windows mode so I closed it deleted .ini and .lua booted it up and it didn't work... so I booted up BG:EE and it went up in windowed mode again!!!

now after numerous times of deletening .ini and .lua they both open in windowed mode...

so I tried changing the fullscreen option to 1(done) and maximized to 0(can't even find the option with search(searched for window and it only found 1 option) and booted the game (failed) and the fullscreen option I tried went back to 0

What else can I do?
    And just to make everything even more confusing for you Luitstra. For me it was the exact opposite. I gave up a couple of days ago, then today I just thought I would try again and all of a sudden everything worked as it should and I didn't do anything special at all.* For no reason at all, the full screen button suddenly started to work again.

*There is one thing though. Since the olympics are on now I have changed my second screen so that it now is extended from my main screen, normally I have it duplicated. I would have thought that would make it harder for the game to work properly but perhaps that is a clue. If you have several screens, try rearranging them, perhaps that's what made my game work..
  • invalid_entryinvalid_entry Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2017
    So I've been having this happen to me on and off on my Windows 10 laptop for a little while now. I figured out a few things, including a workaround:

This problem seems to happen after the computer goes to sleep or hibernates. It also seems to happen after using remote desktop, or other things that change the resolution or affect video memory.

Deleting the .lua file, as had been previously suggested, does not work for me (my version has "engine.lua"), and in fact messes up the game's ability to locate your save files... So I don't recommend deleting that.

Sometimes doing a full shutdown and restart would resolve the issue, but that was not reliably solving the problem after it occurred for me.

So far, a 100% reliable solution has been:
    1 - Hit the Windows key and type "Device Manger", then launch that.
    2 - In Device Manager, find and expand the "Display adapters" node.
    3 - Right-click on the display adapter you believe is the primary adapter, then select "Disable".
    3a - - After doing so, your resolution should be all messed up. Confirm the pop-up that you would like to keep this setting.
    4 - Right-click the display adapter you just disabled again and select "Enable" to turn it back on. Confirm the pop-up that you would like to keep this setting. Basically, you just did a hard reset on the display adapter.
    5 - Launch BG EE or BG 2 EE. It will still be Windowed at this point, don't worry.
    6 - Open the Options menu.
    7 - Open the Graphics submenu.
    8 - Click the "Full Screen" check-box/diamond, then click to confirm and exit the menu.
    At this point, the game should be back in Full-Screen mode, and you should be good to play. If this did NOT fix the problem, or if step 3a did not yield a resolution shift, close the game, then go back to step 3 and try one of the other listed display adapters.

Hopefully this solution works on more than just my machine...
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,872
    Engine.lua should be in your game program directory. Baldur.lua should be in your documents/game directory and is used for different purposes. If your entire install is in your documents folder you may want to consider re-installing to a separate location e.g. c:\games or c:\beamdog\games
  • invalid_entryinvalid_entry Member Posts: 2
    Ah, I mis-read the directions regarding Baldur.lua, thank you for the clarification.