Skip to content

Gnome Portraits

2»

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    PK2748 said:

Dwarves are more Germanic and Norse.

Only in a few ways, they are mostly based on Tolkien's work. The elves certainly do seem to have a lot in common with the Túatha Dé Danann though, that would also explain why there are so many half-elves.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Yes but everything Tolkien did was based on ripping off prior myth by and large. He obviously made changes which have impacted everything in fantasy role play to one extent or another but the roots of dwarves as we know them are not the same as the roots of elves contrary to earlier arguments that they are all the same thing.

Which again is a side argument. Because the real topic here is portraits for second edition gnomes. Which are not elves, fey or fairies and even more clearly are not steam punk inspired goggle wearing WoW characters. Which makes finding art tough
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    Oh, my mistake then :(

I'm in the camp of Fey-Gnomes are best Gnomes since I spend most of my time in Pathfinder's Golarion setting where Gnomes are Fey and in my homebrew setting for 5e Gnomes are Fey (which may or may not be canon for Forgotten Realms now? Unsure).
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    To me gnomes are thin dwarves with big noses who can cast magic. Like some others I don't like the Steampunk portraits.
    Aerakar
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    Gnomes have become my obsession over the years. They are probably one of the most unpopular races due to the fact their representation has been inconsistent. Despite this, the 3 core races in D&D can be applied to gnomes in other media too pretty easily.

Krynn Tinker gnomes, WoW gnomes, and rock gnomes in D&D exhibit the steampunk traits. Also they are the default gnomes found in Forgotten Realms.

Forest Gnomes and Pathfinder Gnomes are the fey-like gnomes. Communicating with animals, illusionists, elf-like and garden gnome like appearances (think David the Gnome).

Deep Gnomes, Svirfneblin are the only really consistent gnomes being more edgy, dour cousins.

I love them all.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    edited May 2021
    I was introduced to AD&D back in the very early 80's and my personal 'canon' gnomes are from that era: the thinner cousins of the dwarves (same as @Wise_Grimwald ) , with usually bigger noses, who can cast illusion magic, love pranks, and live in hilly areas and burrows in forests (versus their dwarven cousins' love of the underground). The AD&D gnomish pantheon is also great IMHO.

Deep gnomes are the underground version, and edgier and more dour as noted, but also with more innate magical abilities.

Perhaps living underground makes the underground races dour, i.e. dwarves, svirfneblin. It would me!
    Wise_GrimwaldBalrog99Isewein
  • trebuszętrebuszę Member Posts: 46
    I love this little guy. Thanks @Kamigoroshi for the portrait from 6 years ago :sweat_smile:

711cwmzh6enm.png
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    Great photo!
    jesterdesu wrote: »

Sadly the link doesn't work. :/
  • BardsSuck_BardsSuck_ Member Posts: 133
    Use the one im using here, works great.
    Winterisle wrote: »
    How about this one?

I like it.
  • BardsSuck_BardsSuck_ Member Posts: 133
    I did one for me in ai program, i didnt lose much time doing it, but the more you try better results you get, absolutely worth it !
    edited September 2023
    Here is another, but you might not like the skin colour.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/s65gyg/oc_art_hello_everyone_i_want_to_show_you_my_last/

It would be the work of seconds for the artist to change the skin colour to a more normal colour. Just change the colour of the skin layer to red and reduce the saturation. For anyone else separating out the skin onto a different layer would be time consuming, and wouldn't be as good as lunovanilla could do anyway.

And another, but not in BG style.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4b2bZL

However if you add a background to this one, she would be fine.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oOKLZ4

I added my background in less that half an hour, so if you have photoshop or similar I'm sure that you can do the same with one of your photos. It's just a matter of deleting the white using the quick select tool. Adding the background, and deleting any white you have missed. After that copy and paste an area around the feet and reduce the illumination so it looks like a shadow. Only slightly or it looks artificial.

irzf1yciyqrn.jpg
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on