Skip to content

WHEN TO DO GENERALISED BIFFING

Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
I am aware that widescreen mod and BG2 Tweaks are supposed to come at the end of an installation.

Widescreen often needs re-installing apparently, and other mods could over-ride what Tweaks does (That also might need re-installing fairly often as the player changes his mind over the set-up)

People seem to differ over the order of those two.

However, does biffing come before them or after them.

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited August 2016
    Generalized biffing prevents further changes to the mods you've already installed before you went biffing, so consider for yourself which mods you potentially want to change.

Generalized biffing is not required. You can easily play without biffing your game at all, and you'll be able to go back and change any kinds of mods.

Alternatively, changing mods mid-game could screw up your game, so you could also simply install all your mods, and then apply the biffing. If you want to start a new game with different mod options, you can always perform a fresh install and install the mods that you want.

In the end, if you're not sure, don't do it at all.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    You can biff before or after those mods, just as you please.
    If you expect to re- or uninstall those mods, biff before them to save you a lot of time.

All generalized biffing does it put those files in the override "back" into proper containers so the game can access them faster (not sure though to what extent that really matters for the EE versions anyhow).
    If you install another mod afterwards that modifies those files again, they'll just land right back in your override (so biffing mid install would have very little effect).

In any case, biffing shouldn't have any interaction with those "install last" mods other than the re- / ninstall issues.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    That's my feeling as well regarding biffing on EE but I guess OP isn't on EE since he's talking about widescreen mod.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853

That's my feeling as well regarding biffing on EE but I guess OP isn't on EE since he's talking about widescreen mod.

I've just discovered that widescreen mod is included in EE so I don't need to worry about that. It's good that I have a consensus that it is unecessary.m Thanks everyone. :)

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, for each mod that you choose to install, you should check if they're EE compatible, or even EE required. Mods like the Widescreen mod and a lot of Bugfix mods should be omitted, as their features are built into EE's core one way or another.

It's generally not a good idea to install mods that don't specifically indicate they're EE compatible. If you don't see if it's EE compatible, ask around if people have experience with running it under EE.

This also gave me an idea to add to my mod install guide.