Skip to content

How exactly do I play an assassin?

2»

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I would add to the list of the advantages of the staves that @Wowo made
    - +4 version at the very beginning of SoA
    - best backstabbing weapon of the game, uprgadeable at + 6 in ToB (even if at that point backstabbing is far less useful) but available in the original version in SoA (if you dare to go in that place, fight and loot...), with a +10 dmg. Really good speed.
    - second best backstabbing weapon of the game, also available at the very beginning of SoA. weapon with charges, but really useful against the harder backstabable enemies.
    - 2 hand weapon proficiency that is better for a backstabber then the single weapon proficiency as it give +1 damage, -2 speed, Crit on 19 & 20 against -1 AC bonus and Crit on 19 & 20. the added dmg and improved speed are better then the AC, a thief is not a tank.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    I have played quite a few Halfling and Elf pure kit assassin runs, both before and now with 2.3 and the poison changes. I also played assassins back in the day before the EEs. In recent times before 2.0, I would always use the Rogue Rebalancing mod that somewhat nerfed the assassin poison by allowing saving throws for no damage and reducing and maxing out the damage.

Even with the changes, the poison is still more powerful than the RR version which was my standard prior and which I also found powerful. I do believe the poison was a bit overpowered pre-2.0 without the RR mod. I now find the poison weapon still powerful even after the 2.0 changes and the assassin still a fun class.

And I would add an even more fun class to role-play.

On backstab weapons, swords and quarterstaffs all the way for the various reasons highlighted above. I like to have proficiency in both types so as to change-up as needed. On ranged, short bows and darts are both the standards in my assassin runs. I like to use both so as to have increased flexibility.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    For those of you who miss the old poison (I know I do and @skarose seems particularly nostalgic for it), it seems that Tresset posted files for the old 1.3 version here. There are files for both BG1 and BG2. I gave the BG1 file a quick test and it seems to be working.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited August 2016
    @cbarchuk Thought you might also enjoy this mod @OrlonKronsteen found for us ;)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48441/original-poison-weapon-ability-for-bg1-ee-and-bg2-ee

Also, I don't know if I've told @OrlonKronsteen how much he rocks! Thanks bud!
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    @Skarose Glad to be of help. I was delighted to find these files, too. They've been there for a while, I guess, but I didn't go back to read that whole thread until I got reading the recent assassin's poison thread under BG2 and this one.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    apart from the obvious backstabbing pros as seen above, just stock max out dexterity, get a point in darts, get the bracers of archery, activate poison weapon.
    then savour the feeling of never having to fear mages ever again.