Skip to content

Info missing in the feedback screen (minor spoilers)

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
edited August 2016 in Troubleshooting
I have observed that the feedback screen tends to miss some important information, even when all the options for feedback are checked (which is how I always play). In the following example Nalia and Rasaad hit Firkraag successfully, three times in total, but no further info is displayed about it in the feedback screen. Did they inflict any damage? Was the damage resisted? Was the weapon ineffective? My guess is number 3, because at that stage they were attacking with non magical missiles, and I guess Firkraag might be immune to those. But there's no info about it on screen.

Something similar happens in the next screenshot. Nalia casts Slow on Firkraag (top of the text), but there's no feedback on what happened with that spell. Did Firkraag resist it? Did he save against spell? Did he actually get slowed?

I have seen this happen hundreds of times. I post it in the general forum because I think it's the same in BG1.
Post edited by Alonso on

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I believe Firkraag's Stoneskins were resisting your damage most likely there. If you had caught the scrolling text earlier you would have seen him cast it.

I am not sure on the Slow, but if he had resisted it then the text should say Firkraag: Magic Resistance.
    Maybe he was slightly out of range?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2016
    Moving this to troubleshooting

What version of the game are you running? (for instance the Steam beta or release version) Are you running any mods?
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    elminster said:

What version of the game are you running? (for instance the Steam beta or release version) Are you running any mods?

GOG release v2.2. Vanilla, no mods.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If you use Ctrl+R on Firkraag and then try to hit him does he get hurt?
    mf2112 said:

I believe Firkraag's Stoneskins were resisting your damage most likely there. If you had caught the scrolling text earlier you would have seen him cast it.

Doesn't look like. By that time his stoneskin was gone. The following screenshot is from a few rounds earlier:

As you can see, the bear hits Firkraag and inflicts some damage.
    mf2112 said:

I am not sure on the Slow, but if he had resisted it then the text should say Firkraag: Magic Resistance. Maybe he was slightly out of range?

Don't think so. If he was out of range the spell would have been cancelled, no?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited June 2016
    Depending on the difficulty level I think he has a second stoneskin. Rasaad and Minsc also hit on your first two screenshots but Firkraag doesn't seem to take damage from either of them. If you cast slow on the ground and then he moved before it went off then he could have been just out of range but if you targeted him then it should have followed him even if he moved.
    elminster said:

If you use Ctrl+R on Firkraag and then try to hit him does he get hurt?

Yes, he does. Took me a while to figure this out. It's the first time I use the console :p
    This happens all the time. I have a simpler example without stoneskins or similar stuff. In the attached game Jan casts Chaos at the point where Keldorn is located in the picture below. Meanwhile Keldorn advances until he reaches that point (in order to attract the enemies to that point and make sure they are within the area of effect of Chaos). As you can see in the picture, out of four enemies (one of them has become invisible but it is very close to Keldorn) there is only feedback about the outcome of the spell for one of them, the Poison Mist. Again, no way of telling what happened with the others.

Another example: I'm fighting Balor and he casts Stoneskin, but I only know it because I see it in the graphics. The feedback screen says nothing about it: