Skip to content

( Spoiler ) after the game question

So baldurs gate hate the bhalspawn, they want she to die or rot in cell. But after Tob, if she dont accept godhood, how can she go back to baldurs gate like abdel in the book ? I dont think they forgot your "evil" deed, and she dont have evidence against it. I always imagagine that, when i play tob, to after the events i go back to baldurs gate, be the grand duke etc. What your opinion about the end of the SOD story ?

Comments

• chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    Canonically, the Bhaalspawn Abdel Adrian eventually becomes a beloved Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate. But the adventure that establishes that also occurs more than 100 years after Throne of Bhaal. So it could be a matter of the Bhaalspawn clearing his name, or it could just be a matter of the people who know about the alleged crime dying off.
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    chbrooks said:

Canonically, the Bhaalspawn Abdel Adrian eventually becomes a beloved Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate. But the adventure that establishes that also occurs more than 100 years after Throne of Bhaal. So it could be a matter of the Bhaalspawn clearing his name, or it could just be a matter of the people who know about the alleged crime dying off.

Abdel? Who's Abdel? I know no Bhaalspawn of that name he's an abomination and a faker

But, as for OP's question--it's a plot hole, introduced by SoD. Presumably Beamdog will patch a quest or something to tidy up that dangling plot thread, or you can always headcanon that CHARNAME and company worked to redeem his/her name after ToB was done.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i just say he settled somewhere in amn as thats the only place charname did not screw anything up like with bg and saradush.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited August 2016
    Danacm said:

So baldurs gate hate the bhalspawn, they want she to die or rot in cell. But after Tob, if she dont accept godhood, how can she go back to baldurs gate like abdel in the book ?

1) The book is NOT canon. 2) Why would it matter? The implication is that the Bhaalspawn fades into retirement. 3) The book is NOT canon.
    Apocrypha said:

chbrooks said:

But, as for OP's question--it's a plot hole, introduced by SoD. Presumably Beamdog will patch a quest or something to tidy up that dangling plot thread, or you can always headcanon that CHARNAME and company worked to redeem his/her name after ToB was done.

It was a plothole long BEFORE SoD. People just didn't think about what happens after ToB if you reject godhood. Of course, "retirement" is implied heavily by the character epilogue, but some people don't like that answer.

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    @rapsam2003 okay, i never found official statement about it, and i really want to the novels burn, but i just dont know its canon or not. Can you link me something official to evidence it ? It would be great :)
    edited August 2016
    No, but the Forgotten Realms wiki makes an interesting point about the BG series: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Forgotten_Realms_Wiki:Canon

Also, it's interesting to note that Baldur's Gate book is considered such a damn mess as to be rated 1 star by 49% of Amazon Reviewers: https://www.amazon.com/Baldurs-Gate-Novelization-Philip-Athans/dp/0786915250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471978015&sr=8-1&keywords=baldurs+gate+book
    The 2nd book is 1 star according to 46% of reviewers. The 3rd book was written by another author, and has a split between 31% for 5 stars, 31% for 2 stars, & 31% for 1 star. It's pretty obvious that the RPG community as a whole has rejected the novelization of the BG series. Of course, considering that the story in the novels is so god-awful as to barely be redeemed in any way by book 3 (which, repeat: has a new author)...I mean, it's understandable in that sense.
    There's simply some instances where it makes much more sense to view the video game as canon than to try to fit a very badly written novelization in as "canon". This is one of those instances. Obviously, choices like killing Drizzt Do'Urden are NOT canon, but the general storyline of the games is canon. WotC verified all the major story stuff BEFORE any of the BG games were released, in order to ensure continuity with other Forgotten Realms products.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    A couple of thoughts. One is, CHARNAME provides abundant evidence of his heroism during Shadows of Amn making "atonement" for the Skie situation unnecessary. Another is, witnesses see CHARNAME give up his power/birthright at the end of ToB so there is no longer a need for anyone to fear he will become Bhaal/Slayer in the future. Perhaps we'll get the opportunity to directly resolve the Skie storyline in a future Beamdog product, but even if not, resettling in the city of Baldur's Gate seems possible for CHARNAME post-ToB.

As to whether Abdel is canon, those kinds of questions usually don't get an official answer but we do know Realms creator Ed Greenwood co-wrote the 2013 adventure that chronicled the (possible) end of Abdel's life which was then published by Wizards of the Coast and is currently available on their website.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    @jsaving yes, i fear, that the life ot abdel become canon, eg: he is in murder of baldurs gate adventure, which is official wotc product. Thats it, write a bad novel, and everybody has own champion in the realms.
    edited August 2016
    jsaving said:

As to whether Abdel is canon, those kinds of questions usually don't get an official answer but we do know Realms creator Ed Greenwood co-wrote the 2013 adventure that chronicled the (possible) end of Abdel's life which was then published by Wizards of the Coast and is currently available on their website.

That's a D&D adventure book for a 4E adventure. (Yes, it has stats for 3.5E, 4E, & "D&D Next" [what become 5E]; but the time was within the 4E timeline.) Regardless of what the doofuses at WotC (you know, the ones who thought 4E was a good idea) say, anything related to 4E tends to be bad. I wouldn't hold that kind of stuff in good regard. Hell, most of the 4E stuff was completely reversed or made irrelevant when 5E came out.

Post edited by rapsam2003 on
    Apocrypha
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    Wait and see if anything gets added to BG:II via dlc, the dagger situation is a weird plot point to never again be mentioned in BG:II lol.
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    Camus34 said:

Wait and see if anything gets added to BG:II via dlc, the dagger situation is a weird plot point to never again be mentioned in BG:II lol.

Another possibility is that it might pop up in the theoretical BG Next.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2016
    The dagger plotline doesn't seem to serve much purpose unless a future Beamdog product will enable you to resolve the situation and gain vengeance on the Hooded Figure. As he is
    the exact person from whom you already exact vengeance during the course of BG2,
    it would seem natural to resolve the dagger plotline in Shadows of Amn rather than reserving it for BG3. That said, we don't have any solid information at this point about how or even whether Beamdog actually does plan to resolve it, and if so, in what product.
    Vbibbi
  • IakusIakus Member Posts: 36
    Camus34 said:

Might be interesting, as it would also tie in TotSC to BG2 as well:

It IS the Soultaker Dagger, after all