Skip to content

Harm spell

fighting a grp of planetars is hard going, they get harm, which reduces you to 1hp.

aside from running away, its there any protection from this?

not so bad if theres a single mob with this ability, but against 6 or so this is tuff to handle.

any items that can be used to combat this or it spells, potions?

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    As far as I know there is nothing in Baldur's Gate 2 that can protect from it. In Icewind Dale, Shield of Lathander will make you immune to Harm, but there's no such spell in Baldur's Gate 2.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Harm doesn't bypass magic resistance so if you have those yellow potions that give +50% it can help. I can't remember if Protection from Magical Weapons can block it but it might be worth a try.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    @Kurona is correct--the way Harm is coded it is a +2 weapon that gets one use before being used. I once changed it so that it wasn't a weapon but a spell with a range of 1 but this wound up being wildly super-charged. Fights against real threats boiled down to "fighters distract, mages lower magic resistance, the cleric steps in with Harm, one more hit and done". That being said, you should have seen the look on The Imprisoned One's face when I sent him packing back home in the first combat round.

I think the potion which grants magic damage resistance *might* work but I have never tested it.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    Kurona said:

Harm doesn't bypass magic resistance so if you have those yellow potions that give +50% it can help. I can't remember if Protection from Magical Weapons can block it but it might be worth a try.

stoneskin spell?
    No, not Stoneskin. The level 6 spell Protection from Magical Weapons. Logically it should block it -Harm is technically a magic weapon- but perhaps it is an exception.
    yes i noticed this with poison eefcts eg arrows. stoneskin blocks the damage but still makes you save vs poison to see if you get poisoned. which isnt logical....probably just somethign the programmers didnt think of.

`Harm is technically a magic weapon- but perhaps it is an exception.`

think you can still imprison things(aka lvl 9 spell) with Protection from Magical Weapons spell cast on them. Both harm and imprisonment are tough range.....
    edited August 2016
    Imprisonment is a short-range spell, Harm replaces your weapon. They don't work the same way.

Edit: Just verified. Protection from Magical Weapon does indeed block Harm. It's safe to say Improved Mantle and Absolute Immunity would block it too.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I agree, in the spell description is clearly stated that
    1- it replaces the equipped weapon
    2- it has to hit to work
    Stoneskin does not prevent the hit, just absorbs the (normal) physical damage. The other effects, like an elemental damage, are not absorbed by the skin, the Harm's damage must be considered similar to those. Spells like PfMW prevent the hit, so no elemental damage or Harm's one.

This open also another way to avoid Harm, bringing your AC at a very low value and damaging enemy's thaco (GM, Blindness,Doom, but also weapons that lower thaco on hit).

So we have 5 ways
    1- protections that make you impossible to hit (PfMW and the mantle series).
    2- tactics that make impossible for the enemy to hit you before the Harm expires (running away, going invisible, put a wall of summons between you an him).
    3- Dispell the enemy before he can hit you.
    4- Save against his roll to hit.
    5- Magic Rasistance.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Does Spell Immunity: Necromancy work?
    joluv said:

Does Spell Immunity: Necromancy work?

Good question so I checked and it does.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Death ward ? @subtledoctor which is list that the death ward protect from ? I never known that but now im curious about it :)
    ^^lvl 4 preiest spell
    for the offensive side. other than wild panic, how do i take the fight to 5 planetars at once.

Ive beat this fight twice, and first time the game crashed after the win, before saving.....you can guess the scream. Second time it took be ages to grind em down and half the party died, got some lucky RNG rolls toward end of fight, was close run thing.

didnt have clear strategy they seem to resist most of the stuff i threw at them

just realised i now have FMC in party.

would chain contingecy and Bolt of Glory work? or they not any of these:
    Prime Material Plane - 6d6
    Elemental - 3d4
    Undead - 8d6
    Demon - 10d6

had to use cheese tactics like timestop and assasination HLA, to win, makes me feel dirty tbh)

havent worked out their weak spot as yet....
    edited August 2016
    tier4 match XX of blackpits2
    bah death ward didnt work, mostly kitted them around while my archers pinged them.

not overly elegant, but hey
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

Seems like the kind of thing Death Ward should block as well.

(Death Ward should really just function like SI:Nec)

Death ward protects from death effects, and harm is not one which is why it does not work. And it should not work as SI: Nec (Well I guess it depends on whether "should" here means you think it would make sense if it worked thus or "should" from a gameplay point of view). Death effects are necromancy spells for the most part, though there are exceptions (Chromatic orb or Silver sword), while necromancy spells do include, but are not limited to, instant death spells. It would not make sense in my opinion if death ward protected from ADHW, for instance, just as it would not make sense if SI:Nec protected from chromatic orb.
  • DyaraDyara Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2016
    Kurona said:

Edit: Just verified. Protection from Magical Weapon does indeed block Harm. It's safe to say Improved Mantle and Absolute Immunity would block it too.

At least in a vanilla 1.x installation it's a +6 weapon (the to-hit bonus is +2) so (Impr.) Mantle and (in an unmodded game) Absolute Immunity should not work.

Edit: In the weapon's melee ability the primary type (school) is set to 'Necromancy'. That's most likely why SI:Necromancy protects. Also the damage type is magical, so perhaps Immunity to Magical Damage works too but I think it won't (because the HP are explicitly set to 1. How should the engine factor in a 50% immunity as there's no ammount of damage calculated :D?).
    @Dyara I wasn't referring to the Potions of Magic Shielding but to the Potions of Magic Protection, which add a flat +50% Magic Resistance, effectively halving the chances the spell (cast on contact by the "Harm" weapon) has to work at all.

And yeah you're right about the enchantment level. Dunno why I assumed it was a +2 but it's indeed +6 so even Absolute Immunity won't work. So silly that a level 6 spell is in practice much more useful than a level 9 spell...
  • DyaraDyara Member Posts: 25
    @Kurona I wasn't referring to you (or anyone else) when I was mumbling about immunity to magical damage. I was just thinking to myself about another way of protection :).
    In vanilla, melf meteors were +6 too, if i remember it right. While i like adnd, i dont like the Enchantment to hit system, a +3-4 weapon needed enemies, in 3rd editions damage reduction is better i think.
    And the fact in adnd 2, the monsters has enchantent natural weapon depends on HD of the monster, because the werewolfs cant hit each other :D
    so on a FMC, timestop and harm, are a pretty tuff combo to beat....

although timestop+ X, tends to be pretty deadly anyway.

ironical if harm is resisted by planetars :)
    Fmc? Modded game ?
    Danacm said:

Fmc? Modded game ?

am playing blackpits 2, so i made a fighter mage cleric at the start. imported my archer and FMT from iwd. made dorf defender and sorcerer and imported hexxat as a swashbuckler.

there is no bpits section, why am posting here. have asked for one, no response so far.....whos best person to ask?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I think the question was because a FMC can't cast Time Stop (except from a scroll) in an unmodded game. Triple-class characters can't get level 9 spells without exceeding the normal 8,000,000 XP cap, which I believe also applies to Black Pits 2.
    Just cause fmc very limited on mage spells az high levels.
    ahh right yes i removed the exp barrier.

tbh i enjoyed playing through IWD on heart fury mode with lvl 30+ chars.

was trying toi recreate this in the other games, but tis just not the same really