Skip to content

Rebalanced: Bard vs Skald vs Jester

BaldurspawnBaldurspawn Member Posts: 66
Everyone knows the Blade is the best Bard kit with or without Rogue Rebalancing.
And at least to me, in vanilla the Blade is the only playable kit of the 4.

But I wonder, considering RR, which are good, and which is the 'best' of the 3 remaining ones.

While the Blade can act as a solo class, the others are more teamplayers.
For me, Skald and normal Bard share no1. Skald is better in a Warrior-centered party, while the Bard is better in a caster/tank-centered party while still good (but not as good as Skald) for Warriors thanks to Taco ^^
The Jester (I never played one) just seems like a walking gimmick machine, so not to my liking :/

What do others think? :D (Let's see if it is as interesting to read as my other poll about Fighter/Casters)
  1. Rebalanced: Bard vs Skald vs Jester14 votes
    1. Skald
      28.57%
    2. Jester
      35.71%
    3. Bard
      28.57%
    4. They are all bad despite improvements from RR (except for Blade)
        7.14%

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I don't use the Rogue Rebalancing, but...

Jesters are a lot better than one would think. Like a regular bard, they receive a full 10 Lore each level, and they gain a full Pick Pocket score. And unlike all the other bards, their song doesn't really just help out the weapon-based characters. Sure, there's a chance it won't do anything, but confusion can stop enemies from doing anything, slow can, well, slow them down, and simply knocking them unconscious frees up the worry of being hit back, allowing caster and warrior alike to smite with all their might.
    NoobaccaDanacm
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I disagree that the Blade is the only viable choice. I'd love a Jester NPC. Aggressive Debuff song, spell casting, any weapon, puck pockets. What's not to love? If I want to play a fighter/mage that's what I'll do but there is no good way to replicate a Jester
    AstroBryGuy
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2016

Everyone knows the Blade is the best Bard kit with or without Rogue Rebalancing.

I disagree with the first sentence. The blade is a pale imitation of a fighter/mage. If you want a bard, play bard where the best ability is the bard song.

Personally, I like IWDEE's vanilla bard (you posted this in General Discussion :smiley:). They get a versatile array of songs: combat buff, protection from fear, save and luck bonuses, charm enemies, and of course the Jedi War Song.

Skalds have a great combat buff song.

Jesters are okay. Too many enemies save successfully to make the song terribly useful. That's why I prefer IWDEE's vanilla bards. If Siren's Yearning doesn't work at charming enemies, I can switch to the Ballad of Three Heroes or Tymora's Melody for buffs.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Fardragon
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Before Jesters' invisibility nerf*, I would've said Jester. But now I would say Skald.

* They used to be able to sing their song continuously while invisible.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    There is really nothing like the IWD Bard - it plays the ultimate in support during a team playthrough - I never play IWD without a bard, its a shame that the bard class was severely limited in the BG universe.

Looking at BG, I'd say the Jester is probably the most entertaining of the bards classes to play - spells, pickpocket, ability to use bows and melee, plus a lovely song for engaging low level monsters and if you can cast greater m and doom it could possibly work on other non-low level monsters. Yes, the Jester requires some micromanagement to be useful but the Jester is probably the most entertaining of the bards kit to use if you decide to bring a bard along.
    semiticgoddessgorgonzola