N/M

Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
edited September 2016 in Off-Topic

N/M
Post edited by Camus34 on

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    5e version right?

This should really be your DMs call, but I prefer the 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 rule when distributing stats for 5e. It creates a more balanced character (with at least one flaw), with opportune growth.
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2016
    deltago said:

5e version right?

This should really be your DMs call, but I prefer the 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 rule when distributing stats for 5e. It creates a more balanced character (with at least one flaw), with opportune growth.

Yes,sorry, 5e. The reason I don't like said rule is that it sort of keeps characters 'static'; if you know what I mean? I've been experimenting with creating different characters (so I guess I should change my title to 'first character I plan to use' lol), and I find that a character is more so born or shaped out of random numbers. E.g. my high'ish' stats meant that I would choose a background with a bit more experience behind it etc. But, as you say, the DM will be the judge in this matter. I suppose I'm looking for stats that are balanced between the characters story, and functionality.
    Post edited by Camus34 on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2016
    I would consider using random roll - with no rerolling at all - in PnP. It makes for more interesting characters. If you took more than one attempt to roll those stats I would discard them, since it looks like you have a very dull character to play.

Personally I also have an aversion to Tieflings. Unless it's a Planescape game I don't allow them.
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2016
    Fardragon said:

I would consider using random roll - with no rerolling at all - in PnP. It makes for more interesting characters. If you took more than one attempt to roll those stats I would discard them, since it looks like you have a very dull character to play.

Personally I also have an aversion to Tieflings. Unless it's a Planescape game I don't allow them.

I did not reroll. Also, I'm asking if my character is too OP. You personal opinion on the race, and the 'dullness' of the character are off topic.
  • ConjurerDragonConjurerDragon Member Posts: 110
    Camus34 said:

Fardragon said:

I did not reroll. Also, I'm asking if my character is too OP. You personal opinion on the race, and the 'dullness' of the character are off topic.
    If you describe yourself as a newbie to tabletop gaming then nothing is offtopic when someone takes the time to lend you an ear and give advice that might be helpful, as -being a newbie- you might not even have a clue to ask the right questions being still unaware of a possible problem.

Your question if your character is OP can not be answered without knowing how the other characters in the game are built and what type of game you intend to participate in.
    If it’s a lowmagic campaign with few if any magical items (e.g. Birthright) then having higher stats might be no problem.

Usually the DM decides what characters are allowed in his campaign and how they are created. What did he tell you?

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2016
    Possible problems like this:-

1) Even if you rolled those stats first attempt, it is likely that other players in your group will assume you cheated, unless they know you very well. As DM, I always insist random rolls are done in front of the whole group.

2) Characters are defined by thier strengths and weaknesses, it may be hard to get a handle on role playing a character who is good at everything.

3) Your DM may not allow tieflings in his/her setting, or they may be attacked on sight by angry villagers with pitchforks.