Skip to content

traveling and want to play on laptop while I'm gone

So, I'm about to travel for a week and I would like to continue playing BGEE, SOD, and possibly BGIIEE while I'm gone. At home, I play on a gaming desktop (Windows 10). I plan to take an old (dual core) laptop with me. I currently own the Steam versions of all the BGEE titles. I'm about to install the Steam client and the BG games on the laptop.

My question is how do I transfer my save games (or just the most recent save) to the laptop before I head out, so I can continue my game while I'm on the road? I will have WIFI access.

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I think on Steam it will auto-transfer as long as you logon the same account. I think BG:EE has cloud saving (at least I've experienced Cloud saving between my PC and laptop).
  • dwilliams1966dwilliams1966 Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2016
    That's good news. The bad news is that, after installing the Steam client and BGEE onto my laptop, the game crashed on the first run. Also, the crash dump file that was generated proved to be too large (39MB) to send as an e-mail attachment to support@beamdog.com . Any advice on how to proceed?

edited September 2016
    So is this a lost cause? I'm leaving day after tomorrow. I know this is an old laptop, but it's far newer than Baldur's Gate.

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I'm afraid I can't help here, my computer knowledge is non-existent. Sorry :frowning:
    It's all good. I'll just drink a lot and hope I don't drown in the pool. Can continue the game upon my return (if I survive).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2016
    Go into the My Documents folder on your laptop and then find the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder. In it there may or may not be a Baldur.lua file.

Use a text editor (I'm not sure what ones windows 10 has by default) to open that Baldur.lua file. You can then add in the following line.

SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')

Let me know if that helps.
    dwilliams1966
    edited September 2016
    Thanks. I looked in the folder and there wasn't a Baldur.Iua file, so I created one and typed in the line. Still crashes upon trying to launch.

Everything runs fine on my desktop PC.
    edited September 2016
    Try replacing your file with this one (you'll need to unzip it from this zip file)
    dwilliams1966JuliusBorisov
    If that one doesn't work try replacing it with this one.

(I've read reports that some people find they are not able to get the game to run on Windows 10 unless the game is run in windowed mode)
    elminster said:

Try replacing your file with this one (you'll need to unzip it from this zip file)

That worked! Thanks. :-)

Could you post another one for BG2EE? I'm having the same trouble with it.

Also, the laptop doesn't seem to be pulling my saved games off the "cloud". How do I transfer my most recent save to the laptop? I guess all I need to know is where the save game files are located.
    edited September 2016
    My Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Save should have your BGEE saves. SoD saves can be found in My Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/sodsave

Ill post the lua file when i next can
    dwilliams1966
    edited September 2016
    Try this with BG2EE
    dwilliams1966JuliusBorisov
    elminster said:

Try this with BG2EE

It worked! Are you........a wizard? :-)

Seriously, thanks!