Skip to content

BG 2 EE won't start, update 1.3, it crashes after clicking launch in the launcher

obilieobilie Member Posts: 44
After the newest update patch 1.3 the game will not play, upon clicking the up-to-date game, it closes the app. The launcher cannot start the game :(

I am Mac El Capitan version 10.11.6

Any ideas please?
Thank you in advance, I have no idea what to do.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2016
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

To clarify, do you own it from the mac app store?
    obilie
  • obilieobilie Member Posts: 44
    @elminster I have already talked with customer support and they were not able to help due to my problem being irreproducible and Mac.

I own a DRM free copy from Beamdog directly, play on my Macbook.

The launcher closes itself upon clicking launch, yet I can play the game if I launch it via the game app in my Game Data folder.

See screenshots if interested, launcher does not work but "BaldursGateEnhancedEdition" works

PS: OMG it JUST started working after 3 days! Magic really. Ddi not do anything.
    U P D A T E
    @elminster I now understand what the issue was - but still need help if possible.

The problem started when I MOVED the BG2 EE folder from the general /Applications (Mac native folder) to a folder WITHIN /Applications called "Games" and that, as far as I am concerned, caused the launcher's defect.

The thing is, now, the game - as I presume - corrected itself automatically, there is a whole new 2,7 GB fodler in the /Applications, as if copied, in the missing place, and there is also the original one in the "Games" folder, the one I moved.
    I presume BG2 EE needs to have its folder within the /Applications and one should not move it or mess with it.
    Now, I would like to delete the extra copy, but I do not know which one, which has got all the saves, any help please?

Thank you in advance
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    All your saves should actually be stored in the documents section of your mac. I've got El Capitan and its like Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Save in the case of BGEE. In any event deleting the games installation folder shouldn't delete any of your saves (but just check beforehand to make sure your saves are stored seperately).
    edited September 2016
    @elminster ow brilliant, have it! so shall i just delete on of the folders? but how do i link on of the folder games to my saves and everything in my documents folder?