Skip to content

Is there a tutorial for the journal?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
For Weidu?

I hope it's simple. Please God, I don't want to be an engineer. I respect engineers, they must be wonderful people, they build bridges and locomotives and giant buggy trucks, a very important thing to have around. They love showing up in "Myth Busters" to check if a suit of armor can be shot through with a longbow or not, a show I would not watch even if they threatened to put me in that armor. And online, they petition for Javascript support and other very important things to have around - and around. But I don't want to join their ranks. I've got this hand, it can write or type, I've got my mind I want to channel through it, and I really require very few tools. Setting a Global is 50% of all I need to make a mod. Basic Weidu, since I have to use it, is another 20%. There are just a few things missing in my civilian-grade toolkit, and one of them is writing journal entries, which sounds like it should be the simplest thing in the world. Quests in BGEE only use AddJournalEntry and EraseJournalEntry, but when I do the same, it doesn't work. There is some great secret. And all of the discussions of that topic are so far, far advanced in the direction I don't care to go, because I didn't come here to be a technical wiz, but some other kind of wiz.

So is there a page that just says, in so many words, what to write in the tp2 file or in the d file to make the quests appear under the same heading, in the Quests section, not as 0s and for entries to actually be erased when I Erase them? Or if there is no tutorial, how about a sample tp2 and d file? I'll just copy the code from there, very uncreatively, and put my own letters in.

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    I have no experience with pre-v2.0 journals, but I'm almost certain whatever was used is no longer compatible with post-v2.0, so any guides you find might be useless anyway.
    The only place I've found to work is "BGEE.lua", in the buildQuestsTable function, adding a quest there, in the format the others are in, enabled the quest to show up in the "quests" section of the journal, instead of the "journal/notes" section.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Older tutorials are not outdated, but in addition you have to use ADD_JOURNAL to group related journal entries. This topic may contain some useful information about it. Btw, current WeiDU version doesn't properly support 2.0-style of journal entries yet. You have to wait for the next WeiDU release.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    So the current iteration of Weidu can't handle quests correctly? What exactly is the problem?

Is there no way to make a quest record now? If YOU want to make a quest, you can't?

I followed the link, and now I'm completely bewildered. The old, classic BG1 style journal has one way of handling entries; then these people discuss how that way has changed, and it doubles my confusion. That's like telling the evolution of the internal combustion engine to someone who wants to know which pedals to push in this here car to go.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Step on the gas and make it go == Click on the icon and play the game.

You're trying to mod a game that was never meant to be modded. I think you're going to end up with some grease under your fingernails.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    What a useless comment.