Skip to content

How do you play the Shadowdancer?

Since for the most part of BG:EE you don't get past x2 backstab, how do you play the Shadowdancer? With the limited number of skill points to distribute each level, (and you still need to invest in Move Silently), it's not a good class for an utilitarian thief or to go first and disable traps, hiding in shadows when spotting enemies. So how do you play one? As a decoy, drawing fire from mages? Do you still backstab thanks to the +4 to hit bonus? Do you snipe enemies?

Comments

• PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Early on I play as a superior archer. The ability to disappear instantly or shadow step means you can easily evade any melee pressure and kite around. I develop the backstab later
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    does the +4 attack bonus when attacking from shadows also apply on ranged attacks?
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    yes
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    No. Only melee attacks.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    hmm, then its not PnP conform :lol:
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited September 2016
    I play the shadowdancer like I play my stalkers.

I Try to finish the game with maximum stealth, private-dick style, and kill the abolute minimum number of enemies on the plot missions. Take the Nashkel Mines, or as I like to call them "Another Episode of Monty Python's How Not to Be Seen'. Pass unseen through the mines and surgically assassinate Mulahey. There's an option to let him live, but it's glitched on my game, resulting in an endless loop of him going hostile again and triggering his dialogue that summons a group of reinforcements two or three times a round, forever.

The backstabbing comes in naturally after level 4, which is easy to reach, and by the end you're doing x3. Not bad, but usually I rely on the dagger of venom for damage, rather than the multiplier, and go in for repeated stabs and doses of poison.