Skip to content

Fallen Cavalier

ursmelomanursmeloman Member Posts: 11
Hi guys!

So I have been soloing a paladin cavalier, which was great fun, became really powerful. Arriving in hell, after some bad decisions my character became fallen, at level 34. All my paladin powers are gone now, and I do not have a save game prior to my decision (I noticed it too late). I now entered throne of bhaal expansion with my character but dunno what to do. I do not want to lose my character like this. Please help me redeem my cavalier!

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited September 2016
    Have you tried changing it via eekeeper?
  • ursmelomanursmeloman Member Posts: 11
    I will try when I get home. Does it work with bg2 enhanced edition?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Yes, it works (it's supported to work on the EEs) - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-3
    ok. Will try with Sk and report back. thx
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    You killed the dragon, didn't you.

[sheepishly] That's what I did...
    edited September 2016
    I got the djini..and the human :neutral:
    edited September 2016
    Ok, so it changes the status back to cavalier and lawful good but there is no change in the availability of his spells..
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    In the label Effects you will find some lines called "Disable Button". Remove those.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    You could try the following:

Open the debug console and enter (or copy and paste) the following line:
    C:Eval('RegainPaladinHood()')while the mouse cursor is placed over your character. It should restore the paladin status with all of its benefits.

If you also need to change your alignment you can use the following console command:
    C:Eval('ChangeAlignment(Myself, LAWFUL_GOOD)')while the mouse cursor is placed over your character.
    Raduziel said:

In the label Effects you will find some lines called "Disable Button". Remove those.

yes, that worked. but I remain without mind shield, protection from poison and charm
    argent77 said:

You could try the following:

Open the debug console and enter (or copy and paste) the following line:
    C:Eval('RegainPaladinHood()')while the mouse cursor is placed over your character. It should restore the paladin status with all of its benefits.

If you also need to change your alignment you can use the following console command:
    C:Eval('ChangeAlignment(Myself, LAWFUL_GOOD)')while the mouse cursor is placed over your character.

Thank you mate!! All is well

Case closed :)
    yay
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Damn. Too late to make a "fallen cavaliers have to get back on the horse that threw them" joke.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @scriver the problem is that the only horse I can think about is in the slums, that are a location you can no more reach in ToB.
    @argent77 brilliant!
    sluckers said:

Possible spoiler, just in case...

That is what happens when you have a pally with 19 str 18 dex and con and only 12 int and 14 wis, all muscles and no brain :wink:

Is good that you have found a cheat to solve the problem (technically using the console is a cheat), but your game was not screwed as is perfectly possible to RP a fallen pally, and he doesn't lack of power.
    The pally is a wonderful class, but is only lawful good for a reason, if someone want to play him he should try to act as a pally, there are explicit hints in the dialogues with the tears guardians, the dragon and the human about that.

And to reload after a lost battle is one thing, to reload or cheat with EEkeeper or cluaconsole to fix the consequences of your RP decisions is something different.
    I don't like the way that the alignment change is implemented, there is no chance of redemption and an evil char don't change alignment if he choose the good choices, but for the last there is a reason as Charname has to fight against an evil taint. Also imho a CN charname should not fall, he is not good and not evil, but something in between, and he is chaotic, so RP wise the fact that he sometimes can diverge from his neutrality and make good or evil choices is very logical, as he acts according to his alignment he should not change.
    I don't like that way, but is maybe the only part of the game when RP has consequences, and is not a random part of the game, is a really important part of the main quest, the last choices you make before the end of SoA.

I am not criticizing you, as I feel that every player is the king of his own game and has the right to play the way that he like. My goal is only to give you a different point of wiew.

But imo the fix is not complete. If you want really to create a "virtual reload" you have to fix also the other consequences of your choices so
    give yourself +20% resistance to Fire, Cold, and Electricity and trow away the Scroll of Sphere of Chaos, Scroll of Wail of the Banshee, Scroll of Time Stop, the Robe of the Evil Archmagi, the 20 Arrows of Dispelling, and the Ring of Protection +2. Or erase the spells from your mages if they have memorized them.
    And cluaconsole away 200,000 XP.

This will fix the dragon's choice.

And throw away also the sword, give yourself +2 to all Saving Throws, and remove 15 to your Hit Points.

Throwing away the items can be also a good RP reason, you have fallen, but you have realized your error and refuse to use those items obtained in an evil way, than your God forgives you and give you again his blessing.

That is the difference between a technical cheat, to simulate a reload not having a savegame, and a real cheat, to have something that you are not supposed to have, or at least you are not supposed to have retaining the pally's bonuses.
    And if you decide to don't do it again for me is fine, I don't want to be judgmental, just to give you my point of view.

@argent77 brilliant!

sluckers said:

Possible spoiler, just in case...

That is what happens when you have a pally with 19 str 18 dex and con and only 12 int and 14 wis, all muscles and no brain :wink:

Is good that you have found a cheat to solve the problem (technically using the console is a cheat), but your game was not screwed as is perfectly possible to RP a fallen pally, and he doesn't lack of power.
    The pally is a wonderful class, but is only lawful good for a reason, if someone want to play him he should try to act as a pally, there are explicit hints in the dialogues with the tears guardians, the dragon and the human about that.

And to reload after a lost battle is one thing, to reload or cheat with EEkeeper or cluaconsole to fix the consequences of your RP decisions is something different.
    I don't like the way that the alignment change is implemented, there is no chance of redemption and an evil char don't change alignment if he choose the good choices, but for the last there is a reason as Charname has to fight against an evil taint. Also imho a CN charname should not fall, he is not good and not evil, but something in between, and he is chaotic, so RP wise the fact that he sometimes can diverge from his neutrality and make good or evil choices is very logical, as he acts according to his alignment he should not change.
    I don't like that way, but is maybe the only part of the game when RP has consequences, and is not a random part of the game, is a really important part of the main quest, the last choices you make before the end of SoA.

I am not criticizing you, as I feel that every player is the king of his own game and has the right to play the way that he like. My goal is only to give you a different point of wiew.

But imo the fix is not complete. If you want really to create a "virtual reload" you have to fix also the other consequences of your choices so
    give yourself +20% resistance to Fire, Cold, and Electricity and trow away the Scroll of Sphere of Chaos, Scroll of Wail of the Banshee, Scroll of Time Stop, the Robe of the Evil Archmagi, the 20 Arrows of Dispelling, and the Ring of Protection +2. Or erase the spells from your mages if they have memorized them.
    And cluaconsole away 200,000 XP.

This will fix the dragon's choice.

And throw away also the sword, give yourself +2 to all Saving Throws, and remove 15 to your Hit Points.

Throwing away the items can be also a good RP reason, you have fallen, but you have realized your error and refuse to use those items obtained in an evil way, than your God forgives you and give you again his blessing.

That is the difference between a technical cheat, to simulate a reload not having a savegame, and a real cheat, to have something that you are not supposed to have, or at least you are not supposed to have retaining the pally's bonuses.
    And if you decide to don't do it again for me is fine, I don't want to be judgmental, just to give you my point of view.
    Agreed. From a pure experience standpoint.

I am now disappointed that my pally reached it's max level(34 - I did not know this, I thought it was 40 for everyone). There is literally no where to go (in character progression) in tob as a solo character besides the new items.

You can mod the game removing the XP cap, so lev 40 can be reached. And imo there is not a real difference, some more spells or HLAs, unless you play FMT or FMC, then removing the cap you unlock the lev9 spells, and there is a substantial difference.

Soloing is quite easy past the first moments of the game because you level so fast, but you have reached the point where you can not improve, or only marginally do. At this point of the game a full party, or a 3-5 people one, begin to close the distance, and they have the advantage of the number, mages cast lev 8 or 9 spells, fighters are functionally fully developed and so on.

In SoA you was outleveling every enemy and the things was quite easy, now you are static and the level of the enemies will ramp in a quite steep way, good thac0 and enchanted weapons for everybody and really hard bosses.

The game is designed for a full party, in the hints that in the original notEE appear when you load new areas (from the cd) is even stated that is impossible to play solo, that you HAVE to seek the help of NPCs. thing that is not true, now we know it, but is a clue of what was the opinion of the original developers.

One way to make the solo experience better, avoiding the too fast ramping up in power followed by a static situation, is using a mod that reduces the XP gained from quests and killing. Imo for soloing reducing it to 1/3 is optimal, to 1/2 is fine, this with or without the XP cap remover. This way you have a more smooth growing curve, but you reach enough power for the very hard final battles, reaching anyway lev 34, or 40 with cap remover. But you avoid to be too powerful in SoA and too static in ToB.
    Cool stuff. thx for the tips mate. And while harder than SoA, I am past Yaga Shura right now and still going strong.
    The next solo run try the mods I suggested, you will have a more challenging SoA and still plenty of power to defeat uncle Yaga. One of the benefits of doing so is also that you have to delay WK, with all that cool equipment that you find there, is still doable in SoA, and even in chap 2 or 3, but a soloer can go there very early and so have items of a level that he is not supposed to have so fast, making SoA even more easy and unbalanced for a character that has 6 times the XP that the developers designed the enemies for.