Skip to content

A question about wild surges.

I am a newbie in using wild mages.

Looking to the list of the possible surges I see that there are some of them that operate some changes in the caster or in who receives the spell.
Things like the caster's sex is changed, caster is changed into a squirrel, target polymorphed into a wolf, caster's hit points doubled.
But I am not able to find any information on the duration of those changes or if they can be removed using some spell or other mean.
If the caster is changed into a squirrel, or his sex is changed, is the change permanent or resting or letting in game time pass reverts it? Spells like dissolve magic or heal can be used to address the problem?

One more thing, if the target is an enemy and gets polymorphed into a squirrel or wolf which are the XP and loot consequences of killing him? Let's say that it happens with that demilich, you loose the ring and get only the XP of killing a wolf? And if it happens on the previous lich form it can potentially break the quest avoiding him to take his final battle form? Or with Draconis can it even break the main quest?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Comments

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    The changes aren't permanent, or they never were from me anyways. The polymorphs tend to last a few rounds (I don't know the exact number off the top of my head), but I have indeed known that enemy to turn back normal. The sex change... honestly I've had it happen to my whole group, but I never really notice the difference honestly.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Thanks.
    About the sex change I suppose that is normal that there is no difference as in the series females can do all the males can do in the same way, and also the opposite is true.
    But it would make for some players, not me, difficult to RP the romance :smiley:
    When you talk about polymorphs you mean only when is stated xxx id polymorphed into yyy or also caster is changed into a squirrel?
    The word polymorphed seems to relate somewhat to the spell, so to something that has a duration, the word changed seems to suggest a permanent change, but I am only guessing.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    The polymorph self effect is not permanent and killing an enemy while polymorphed will not affect the XP or treasure they have. The change sex is permanent, but doesn't affect game play. There are of course some potential surges that can have permanent effects on game play, such as petrification on caster ...
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Sure, and also other combinations possible, if you get a surge that make you roll more times and then maybe petrify the whole area, that is game over also if the wild mage is not charname.
    And the game over screen does not even take a screenshot of the beautiful park of stone statues that you have produced :smile:
    But in those cases is clearly stated that the spell xxx is cast on yyy, so is easy for me to know what it will happen, to evaluate the consequence of the surge. And is quite obvious that if you trigger a fireball in the promenade you mess up your game. What confused me was the descriptions that introduce something new, like caster is changed into xxx or caster's hit points doubled, seeing like in other descriptions the game is not accurate.

And I hoped that EE, with the adventurer guide and mastering mlee and magic would have been a little more technical and less based on a flavor, specifying which saving throw uses each spell and similar things that remain not documented. If you want to use save or else spells in an advanced way, using against fighters the spells that use a saving throw in which the fighters are lame or against the mages the ones that they are likely to fail you have to use Near Infinity or research on the boards. Or if you look for the shapeshifter druid great werewolf stats and weapon enchantment you don't find more than what was present in the old manual, you find only the characteristics of the monster, that are different, not only incomplete but misleading.
    I did not aspect tho have the new guides transformed in boring technical manuals, flavor is important, but some tables in the end, for those who are interested in a more advanced use, would have been great.