Skip to content

Question about Kensai>mage vs f/m

I read this informative discussion:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12042/fighter-mage-multi-class-vs-kensai-mage-dual-class/p1
Since it's archived, I'll post my question here.
The whole argument is about k(9)>m or k(13)>m vs f/m, what if kensai is leveled to 21 (insane, I know, but still mathematically possible), gets Critical Strike along with THAC0 and Damage bonus of kensai upto lvl21, wouldn't k(21)>m a clear winner over f/m?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Thats an insane amount of downtime. You wouldn't even be able to enjoy any benefit of it until the very end of the series. I'm more a proponent of multiclasses, you are viable all through the trilogy and always have access to all your abilities, though you do miss out on the Kensai part. An EEkeepered Kensai/mage multiclass is super broken though :wink:
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited October 2016
    For EEkeepered way, I perfer f/m/assassin, but I'm not sure how to compare it with kensai/m/t, one is assassin's x7 the other is kensai's kai plus bonus damage X5, I think the question is still there in vanilla assassin>fighter vs kensai>thief
    Post edited by islandking on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,324
    If you have in mind playing solo I agree that a L21 kensai dual is a realistic idea. You can hit the level cap well before the end of SoA and if you find that part of the game easy, but ToB difficult then a high level kensai would be of some benefit.

However, it's true you're making life more difficult for yourself for a long period. A kensai hits most enemies easily even at level 13, so the extra levels don't gain you that much from that point of view. The availability of critical strike is also not that important to a kensai - they have far more uses of kai than they need and that together with high APR and the kensai damage bonus is more than enough damage for any enemy. Personally then I wouldn't want to go past L13 if I were intending to dual.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    edited October 2016
    So Thac0 is a major concern? That is why you go multi. I have a beserker(9) - mage (something)!that is prepared for demogorgon but I don't play that one, it was a nice character, worked pretty well as a tank. However his Thac0 was around -2, 1 or something, while a multi would've gotten about -7, -5. Could be lower but you get the idea. The multi would still get lower Thac0, as well as Both mage and fighter HLAs. In general the class is funnier to play way.¨

Oh and remember, these Thac0's was achieved with a +5 main weapon and a +2 second weapon, which technically says that before you get these goodies you will be stuck around 2-4 thac0, now that is not very promising for a someone who wants to reach high thac0. If course you can get pretty good thac0 if you dual at level 13, but there is no way the kensai/mage beats the multi if you want to be a REAL fighter.
    Post edited by RelSundan on
    Thanks everyone.
    Any idea of which has higher backstab damage output : assassin>fighter or kensai>thief ? o:)
    edited October 2016

Thanks everyone.
    Any idea of which has higher backstab damage output : assassin>fighter or kensai>thief ? o:)

That would depend on when you dual. The assassin can get a helluva damage output from backstab, but the real difference kicks in on later levels.

1-4 2x
    5-8 3x
    9-12 4x
    13-15 5x
    16-19 6x
    20+ 7x

Here is the table for assassin backstab multiplier and as you see, if you dual at level 9/13 you will only get 4/5x backstab. At the same level the thief will get the same multiplier but will be stuck att 5x. And since I really do not recommend dualing too late into the game, I would recommend a kensai/thief, as they would still get the same backstab multiplier, but would also be more efficent in combat than the assassin kit.

Here you a complete table where you can compare the classes multiplier to backstabbing.

https://gyazo.com/bef3877e75468e937d4f5fed24597568

Unless you are going to dual at level 16-20 you will get the same backstab multiplier as a thief, so I would not recommend going with the assassin fighter. Remember that you won't get a any thief HLA's if you dual from assassin to figher, and spike traps and all that good stuff is really usefull lategame (Which you seem to be aiming for, that is, being very powerful late game.) If you dual to a thief you will also get more points to spend, making it easier for you to improve HiS and move silently. You will be overall better at backstabbing, and a better thief. Though my final recommendation is Fighter/thief multiclass.
    edited October 2016
    If kensai dual to thief at lv13, what's his damage bonus, the description says every 3 levels, but from which level count, lv1? So lv3 is+1, lv6 +2... lv12 +4, is this right?
    I believe it works similar to the prof. points per level, so yes it is lvl1, lvl3, lvl6 and so on.
    That should solve many things.
    I remember hearing somewhere that kai is basically +4 damage, so if dualled in lv13, a kensai(13)>thief will get +8 x5=40 more backstab dmg, so for assassin(21+)>fighter, as long as bs dmg before x7 modifier is greater than 20, a>f will win.
    Of course, if kensai is dualled at 21, k(21)>t will get +11x5=55, then the "base" bs dmg would have to be 28 for a(21+)>f to catch up.
    Hope I'm right about this..
    So you are only looking for backstab damage? Then that changes a few things. I'm not really sure about that math, someone else can probably confirm your theory. You should also take into consideration that the most toughest enemies and dragon are immune to backstab, and I'm not sure it works very well on Golems due to the damage resistance. And your character will shine most in the last part of the whole saga, where as I said, most enemies that won't already be shredded by your fighters, will resist backstabbing.

If you do a solo run then this changes things, both for good and worse.
    Yeah, that's the part I fear most, never backstab these mobs before, will probably just take assassin(21)/fighter for Critical Strike as backup plan, or ,are there any mobs immune to both :s
    Haven't played for a long time :)
    I hear a lot of powergaming people have a sneaking fondness for Cleric/thief. You should probably look into that, could be fun! I have never tried it myself.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited October 2016
    From a general powergaming perspective aimed at maximum efficiency, dualing at a level higher than 9 comes with such a significant downside that it's not worth any of the (admittedly quite attractive) upsides.*

Part of that is a general paradox involving the difficulty curve: for min/max differences to really show the best, you'd need a game heavily modded towards difficulty; however, those mods tend to have non-linear difficulty curves that peak in the early/mid game rather than the end game (where you have every item and spell imaginable to work with). That is essentially the inverse of the power level curve for a high-level dual, who has a marked dip at early/mid game but a high peak at end game. In essence, you'll end up lacking power where you need it most, and overkill it where you already have everything anyway.

For backstabs, the optimal way depends on what you define as cheese and/or refuse to abuse; I'm talking of course about Mislead and how it works with backstab. Mislead will keep you permanently invisible as long as the clone created by the spell isn't destroyed - parking it somewhere safe means you can walk in and backstab on pretty much EVERY attack for the entire fight. That, consequently, favors high APR + high pre-multiplicative damage, which usually means a thief/mage hybrid to use Black Blade of Disaster (which has - wait for it - disastrously high base damage to be multiplied with backstab).
    If like me you are of the opinion that using Mislead this way is a bug too severe to be using (and you don't have to be, it's just personal preference), then different concerns emerge. You want to maximize the opener damage, but since you don't need to sustain backstabs APR don't matter; that means you can use things like Staff of the Ram for the opener, and then switch to something else for sustained damage (usually high APR dual-wield). Various class setups can make this work very well, including mage/thief, fighter/thief, or the aforementioned cleric/thief (particularly Lathander duals due to the APR buff). It's difficult to pinpoint one definitive optimal choice because there are variables outside of that singular character to take into consideration.

*there are very few niche exceptions, such as when dualing out of thieves; however even there it's basically only in the lvl 9-11 range and not higher.
    I thought about that B) , but I hear some say cleric/thief lack of THAC0 and apr, though with the help of Righteous magic and bards' song I see someone did crazy backstab dmg numbers like 1064 >:)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,324

That should solve many things.
    I remember hearing somewhere that kai is basically +4 damage, so if dualled in lv13, a kensai(13)>thief will get +8 x5=40 more backstab dmg, so for assassin(21+)>fighter, as long as bs dmg before x7 modifier is greater than 20, a>f will win.
    Of course, if kensai is dualled at 21, k(21)>t will get +11x5=55, then the "base" bs dmg would have to be 28 for a(21+)>f to catch up.
    Hope I'm right about this..

Kai ensures you always get maximum base damage with your weapon. The average gain from that therefore depends on the weapon used, but I would suggest that perhaps the biggest benefit is knowing what damage you're going to do at higher levels (subject to not rolling a critical miss). For instance you would then often know you have a 95% chance of one-shotting a mage before they can put their buffs up rather than, say, a 50% chance.
    edited October 2016

you'll end up lacking power where you need it most, and overkill it where you already have everything anyway.

True, but in min/max way, I suppose gain easy exp, export, import, restart... could be used to achieve high level from the start, I'll think about that like controlling a bhaalspawn who has time loop ability if I were really going to do that, in gameplay aspect however, it's boring indeed.

. It's difficult to pinpoint one definitive optimal choice because there are variables outside of that singular character to take into consideration.

I agree with you. Now that you mention it, I realized that my original point of view is more like total dmg of the opening backstab-able round, from this aspect, I think kensai(24)>thief(28) with Staff of Ram/Black Blade of Disaster may be slightly higher than other approaches.
    Grond0 said:

you would then often know you have a 95% chance of one-shotting a mage before they can put their buffs up rather than, say, a 50% chance.

Havn't tried lob difficulty, is one-shot mage still doable in that setting?
    edited October 2016

True, but in min/max way, I suppose gain easy exp, export, import, restart... could be used to achieve high level from the start

If you want to change the rules of the game for yourself, that is fine. However, it makes most discussions fairly pointless, as the basic parameters change so dramatically it invalidates most arguments from the get-go.

Havn't tried lob difficulty, is one-shot mage still doable in that setting?

It's not technically impossible with a critical backstab using the right weapon (and against the right target) but it's not very likely for most people. LoB includes a multiplicative AND static HP modifier, which means you need damage in the hundreds to oneshot mages.

which means you need damage in the hundreds to oneshot mages.

Exciting isn't it? I feel like trying Lob for that, if not one-shot, let's just keep punching the punching bags o:) .
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    One thing I'd like to remind is that, yes, an assassin can deal trumendous damage with a backstab, but it can also deal very little due to the damage range of your weapon.
    I prefer being sure that I'll deal 80 than dealing something random between 60 and 100.
    High priority targets that you want to backstab are mages, most of the time, and dealing 100 will do the same as dealing 80, which is killing them, but dealing 60 might leave them near death which let them trigger contingencies etc...

Being sure of what you will deal is my top priority for an assassin.
    Yes, random dmg range is indeed a downside compared to kenief, it seems I missed that part in my previous calculation, and I forgot the trigger contingency, thanks for the reminder :) have a long way to catch up :)
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    RelSundan said:

So Thac0 is a major concern? That is why you go multi. I have a beserker(9) - mage (something)!that is prepared for demogorgon but I don't play that one, it was a nice character, worked pretty well as a tank.

Definitely the preferable solution for a dual class F/M. Less item restrictions, and the ability to gain immunity against absolutely everything the game can throw at you outweigh the little bit of extra damage from the Kensai kit.
    jinxed75 said:

Definitely the preferable solution for a dual class F/M. Less item restrictions, and the ability to gain immunity against absolutely everything the game can throw at you outweigh the little bit of extra damage from the Kensai kit.

Depends on your setup. In the right group, it's not hard to be immune to the relevant things even as a Kensai, and to share equipment around in ways that makes the item restrictions a non-issue. Then you just get free damage.

But it's absolutely true that B->M can be the better choice in many setups as well.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

The whole argument is about k(9)>m or k(13)>m vs f/m, what if kensai is leveled to 21 (insane, I know, but still mathematically possible), gets Critical Strike along with THAC0 and Damage bonus of kensai upto lvl21, wouldn't k(21)>m a clear winner over f/m?

Imo is a clear looser.
    He looses against the lev9-13 dual as he takes forever to reach high mage levels when the early duals, and specially the lev9 one, take only little more time than a single class mage to get the really good arcane spells.
    He looses against multi as he have to wait 21 levels of fighter and 22 of mage to be fully operative, he will also have only very few HLA, some fighter ones for the last fighter levels and some mage ones late game.

He looses against multi as he have to wait 21 levels of fighter and 22 of mage to be fully operative, he will also have only very few HLA, some fighter ones for the last fighter levels and some mage ones late game.

I'm still not very clear how HLA system works, a lv21 kensai will get 2 fighter HLAs since he reaches exp300,0000 at lv20, then he dual to mage, will he get mage HLA's from mage lv1, or he has to wait till lv18(exp300,0000)?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited October 2016
    He will have to wait until he gets lv18 and even then he will be able to chose only between mage HLA, the only fighter's ones will be the ones choose before dualing.
    The Multi get HLA for every level up from 3M XP total up to the end, choosing every HLA is allowed for at least one of his classes.
    The dual chose only in his active class, the one that can be leveled up, at the same rate that a single class has, so for mage class from lev 18.
    A F21->M will have in end game 2 fighter HLA and at level cap will not be able to have all the mage's ones, he will have to choose the more important ones as getting the fighter's levels has eated more than 1/3 of the xp and he will start again to get HLAs only at 6.25M XP at a rate of about 500K xp/level.

I'm still not very clear how HLA system works, a lv21 kensai will get 2 fighter HLAs since he reaches exp300,0000 at lv20, then he dual to mage, will he get mage HLA's from mage lv1, or he has to wait till lv18(exp300,0000)?

Only multiclass characters get HLA based on TOTAL experience; dual class characters gain them based on SINGLE CLASS experience (only 1st class until dual, then only 2nd class from then on). That means that if you dual to 21 and take 2 HLAs then dual, you will need to gain 3m xp AGAIN for any HLAs in your new class - and you will never again get to pick HLAs for the 1st class.

Note that while most HLAs will become unavailable after you dual, Use Any Item will in fact remain in effect even while the Thief class is inactive.
    Thanks for the fast & detailed responses guys, really appreciated.
    A couple of questions, if I may :)
    1. I read it somewhere that a fighter with 5/2 apr will get 2 attacks at 1st round, 3 attacks at 2nd round, but what if he does something else (like drink a potion or switch targets..etc) in his 2nd round but before his 3rd attack actually takes place, will the 1/2 attack inhered from the 1st round carry on into his next round?
    2. What does thief's set snare score do, beside increases set trap success rate, will it also increase the regular and HLA traps' damage? What's the recommended value of it? Thank you. o:)
    edited October 2016

A couple of questions, if I may :)

2. What does thief's set snare score do, beside increases set trap success rate, will it also increase the regular and HLA traps' damage? What's the recommended value of it? Thank you. o:)

No it only increases the chance of success, and does nothing to the amount of damage it deals. Having 100 points in set traps guarantees that every trap is successfully placed, so nothing more than 100 is needed.

I don't know the answer for your first question.