Skip to content

Crash when saving in BGII:EE on Sierra

I've installed BGII:EE on macOS Sierra and tried to play. After generating a character and exporting it the game crashes. It also crashes when you start a new game and the first autosave happens. No save file is generated.

Comments

• KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    This is doubtlessly related to the Installer bug one post below yours:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61613/cannot-install-bg2-ee-on-mac-os-sierra#latest
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited September 2016
    Sorry @Kenyon I'm not sure that the problems are related. If you're using an existing BG2EE installation you'll find no problems with save files and such.

Considering our installation problems: Why was @JeremyAgost installation successful in the first place?
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    edited September 2016
    @StefanO If he used any source outside of the Beamdog installer (Steam, GoG, perhaps even the App Store) there would be no issue, I assume. What does become clear is that there is some issue with disk writing rights in Sierra that BG:EE is suffering from, and the issue is not straightforward. For example, we both managed to run the executable inside the package but it stopped halfway because of errors. We also both deactivated Gatekeeper and ran the installer to 100%, only to have it fluke out upon restarting (the game executable was downloaded but refused to run). Whatever the case may be, it seems to be a broader problem than simply the installer refusing to run.

EDIT: I should point out, all of the actions @JeremyAgost is describing are related to writing data away to the drive. That's why I mentioned it.
    Post edited by Kenyon on
  • artnatartnat Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2016
    The same for me. On my MacBook Air 2011 on Sierra I cannot start a game - it crashes on first autosave. I also cannot export my character - it crashes on save. It is a clean install. No mods, only Polish dubbing files installed.

The other problem I had was during install - the launcher was stuck on download a few times.

EDIT:

I deleted the shortcut in documents and then added access and writer permission to all folders and BG2EE app located in BG2EE folder in Applications. Now it works.
    Post edited by artnat on
    elminster
  • puolituinenpuolituinen Member Posts: 1

I've installed BGII:EE on macOS Sierra and tried to play. After generating a character and exporting it the game crashes. It also crashes when you start a new game and the first autosave happens. No save file is generated.

I had exactly same problem here that JeremyAgost . BG EE, BG2 EE nor Dragon Spear did not work with MacOS Sierra with my MacBook Pro (Retina, Early 2013). Kept crashing when game tries to save / write anything. I myself had Documents folder synced with iCloud after i removed iCloud sync the games seems to work fine.