Skip to content

The Candlekeep Library: Rasaad yn Bashir

PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hi friends. Despite the disappointing news of the release pushback, we have some neat stuff for you. Our talented Dave Gross has written the first chapter in a series of vignettes about our new characters, and it's now available.

Check it out here.

In addition, there's a sample of Mark Meer as Rasaad yn Bashir after the story. Enjoy!

Post edited by PhillipDaigle on

Comments

• ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2012
    Interesting. His voice actor sounds just like a german trying to speak english without trying to overcome the accent. :)

EDIT: the second soundfile doesn't want to work on my machine...
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Try now. Some stuff hadn't been mirrored yet.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    I like his voice!
    I can hear that he has a strong accent but I can't understand of what country... He has a strong "R" sound, so maybe German, as @Zwiebelchen said?
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Then Rasaad is LG? I mean, because of the tools in the darkness stuff. Anyway, how do you pronounce the "yn" in Rasaad yn Bashir.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Sophia said:

I like his voice!
    I can hear that he has a strong accent but I can't understand of what country... He has a strong "R" sound, so maybe German, as @Zwiebelchen said?

Mark Meer is Canadian, but I believe he's doing an Arabic-inspired accent for Rasaad.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    @PhillipDaigle

It seems like the old RSS Feed for BGEE News is broken. Will you guys be updating the old feed or providing a new one? I'd love to get these news updates automatically.
    I'll see what I can do about it.
    That was actually a lot easier to do than I anticipated.

www.baldursgate.com/rss.xml
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Those three samples are certainly much better than his dreary Male Shep.
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    I think he sounds Persian/Indian who speaks English.

It's alright, but I would prefer the Commander Shepard voice and his philosophy should be that of a Paragon!

His life motto:
    "You can fight like a krogan,
    run like a leopard,
    but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard."
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    Looking good. Really digging the voice samples! Don't sound nothing like Shepard (Which is good, would have been a bit weird to have him in BG)
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited September 2012

Hi friends. Despite the disappointing news of the release pushback, we have some neat stuff for you. Our talented Dave Gross has written the first chapter in a series of vignettes about our new characters, and it's now available.

Look, a distraction!

Sorry. :P

• ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    i want a krogan NPC.
    @dave
    I really like your writing style, I'm going to have to pick up a few of your books. I see that Black Wolf and Lord of Stormweather are set in the same universe as BG. If I bought those two books on Kindle would I have any trouble just jumping in and enjoying them, since they are part of a larger series of books?
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    @Risingsun You should be able to jump in on either of them, but ideally you read Halls of Stormweather first. That's an anthology of seven novellas introducing all the characters of or associated with the Uskevren family. Black Wolf follows the story of Talbot, the younger son. Lord of Stormweather follows the story of Tamlin, the elder son originally conceived by Clayton Emery. It also wraps up the story of the the family patriarch, so it's a good one to read last if you're interested in the other novels.

You might also dig Prince of Wolves, Master of Devils, and the upcoming Queen of Thorns, my more recent fantasy novels. But since you dig Rasaad, I've got to admit this particular style is closer to that of Winter Witch, a novel I co-wrote with Elaine Cunningham. All of these are set in the world of the Pathfinder game.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    Gotta start with the first book. It is a book of short stories that introduces the main characters from those books but I don't remember the name. I have it around here somewhere.
    @dave

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely add them to my list. First on my List is Halls of Stormweather, then a Pathfinder book.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    The story was awesome and the voice sets are perfect! Well done guys, absolutely cannot wait to travel with the wise Rasaad yn Bashir! :)
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I love this! His voice is basically how I envisioned it and his backstory is very well written! I feel like I was reading something from ASoIaF (without the sex and the long detailed food descriptions). I can't wait to have this guy in my party. I just hope I can date him with my male character. ;)
  • BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    Really liked the story! Looking forward to have him join my party.

I am, however, a bit disappointed. When I read the headline saying "in-depth" I was kinda hoping to see his stats. Ah well, guess that'll have to wait, then ^^
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    So he is a monk with pickpocketing experience? I wonder if that will show up in his in-game abilities.
  • TomokoTomoko Member Posts: 13
    Nice voice. To my ear it almost sounds like a mixture between A Pakistani and Egyptian accent.
  • BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39

So he is a monk with pickpocketing experience? I wonder if that will show up in his in-game abilities.

Yeah, a pickpocket special ability would be great. ... And after you use it the first time, he becomes a fallen monk because monks have to be lawful and pickpocketing is not ;)
  • SabotinSabotin Member Posts: 38
    Is he supposed to be a dual class rogue/monk then, too? Come on :P . I smell a subplot involving his brother though. And maybe Amaunator in BG2?

It does sound like a fun character.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I kind of doubt that any thieving skills will show up as Rasaad's special ability. It would be neat if he could stealth or pickpocket, but that would probably be too much of a departure from AD&D rules.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    He may have been a pickpocket as a kid, but that doesn't necessarily warrant any rogue levels. In game terms, it happened prior to class leveling :)