Skip to content

The Deplorables: please help me form a terrible adventuring party

Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
Hello,

Please help me enjoy this game once more.

I have played this game on and off for two decades now. It has become fascinating yet boring. In order to spice things up, I have decided to form a party of misfits I've rarely used (except Kagain, naturally, whom I think I'll need to hold the line for the dweeps listed below), and never together. I have asterixed * those I've never, ever used, so Iet's prioritize those.

I have a mod installed, I forget which one exactly, that relocates a fair number of these PCs into more easily accessible places.

Kagain (muscle/hold the line)
Montaron
Tiax
Quayle *
Xan *
Garrick *
Eldoth *
Faldorn *

And CHARNAME, who'll be whatever we need him to be.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You have 5 asterixed characters, so use those and phat tanky charname
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    In order to spice things up and reintroduce interest in playing, install SCS (difficulty-enhancing mod) and BG1 NPC (banters mod) mods.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    For some reason, people really didn't like Quayle back in the day, I realize he had some illegal stats back in the day, but presently in EE, Quayle is one of the strongest casters in the game + he has some funny banters.

Xan is not that bad also, enchanter is actually quite strong since it gives him a +2 bonus to his saving throw, dire charm and other similar effects can come in *really* handy in a lot of fights.

Garrick is, stats-wise the worst NPC in the game, but a bard, even one with bad stats, is like mortar for the bricks of your party - I wouldn't recommend taking *both* him and Eldoth but since Eldoth doesn't come until later - unless your mod relocates him, it would be entirely possible to just drop Garrick at that point for Eldoth.

Eldoth is great for an evil party + his poison arrows are nice but you *must* take Skie as well unless you want to separate them via death or locking them in a room somewhere.

Faldorn can actually get to top-level (For bg1) divine spells faster than any other caster (excepting the case that the PC is a druid themselves).

I'd suggest something like this:

Quayle, Xan, Eldoth + Skie, Faldorn, - PC as some sort of evil (so your reputation starts out low and you don't have to fiddle with it as much as you progress) fighter character - Berserks and Barbarians are pretty interesting. Or you could try the blackguard kit if you don't plan on using Dorn much.

The downside to such a party is that you'll really have to be careful about stuff getting behind you (Durlag's) and AoE spells - but you'll be able to dish out all kinds of magic having 2 arcane, 2 divine casters and 1 bard to boot.

It should turn out fine. Most of the characters you've got there are *really* neat especially if you've not played with them before.
    Wowo
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    No Dorn? Or Shar Tiel Or Vicona or Edwin?.....BTW I approve of your group name. Quite a basket ;)
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited October 2016
    @Gallenger @JuliusBorisov @FinneousPJ @Arius

Thank you all for your comments.
    I think I'll go with this party:

CHARNAME, Dronald Drumpf - overbearing CN half-orc barbarian with a Hulk/savior complex
    Tiax - thieving, healing, and attitude
    Xan - magic and attitude
    Quayle - magic, magic, and attitude
    Garrick - magic, archery, assistant thief and all-round doormat
    Faldorn or Eldoth (or Minsc) - haven't decided yet.

@Arius : Dorn, Shar-Teel, Viconia and Edwin are far too competent and aware of being competent. By Deplorable I do not mean 'Evil' but rather 'terrible' in the sense of wretched personal ability (Garrick), interpersonal competence (Quayle), or personality (Tiax). In other words, I want this party to be the embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

(Minsc could qualify also, but it breaks my heart to run that big lump o' love with this gang)

This should be fun!
    JuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    No problems with these guys they are very strong if used right!

Make sure your main char has a high charisma to stop Tiax and Quayle coming to blows.

Definitely take Faldorn she is excellent.

Give Tiax Detect Traps spell, stealth gear and either of the +3 staves and go chunk baddies with backstabs!
    Gallowglass
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Tiax and Quayle are both awesome characters, I'm sure you'll have fun with them!
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited October 2016
    I'm having a blast!

Having just solved the mystery of the Nashkel Mines, and having the benefit of being able to recruit relocated NPCs, my party now consists of the following.

CHARNAME, Dronald Drumpf - overbearing CN half-orc barbarian with a Hulk/savior complex
    Tiax - thieving, healing, and attitude
    Xan - magic and attitude
    Quayle - magic, magic, and attitude
    Eldoth - magic, archery, assistant thief, and attitude
    Shar-Teel - because every CHARNAME needs an alpha female, and because the group was a little light on front line staying power.

Garrick was extremely boring in terms of personality as well as incompent, so he got left behind quite quickly. Incompetent I could take, but boring, no.
    Faldorn may find a place - I believe I've read somewhere that Eldoth may not be long for this world with Shar-Teel around.
    Montaron has just been asked to give up his spot for Xan, whereas his companion Xzar died conveniently some time earlier when Shar-Teel needed his spot.
    Papa_LouFinneousPJ
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    How about some old-school advice? There was this thread called... https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/22701/assembling-the-c-team

The post I made there should still hold true, unless something very weird has changed in the game. If you're feeling lazy, it's (on Core Rules or worse):

Garrick
    Eldoth
    Skie
    Tiax
    Rasaad

You can still win the game, but getting this team assembled in the first place is the backbreaking part. I go into much more detail in my post on the old thread.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2016
    When I saw the thread name, it immediately brought to mind this:

Bring the hamster and his pet human if you need a tank. You know you want to.