Skip to content

Why can't I recruit some people?

I'm on my 4th play of the game and I tried recruiting Minsc and Xan this time, but the game won't let me. I get a very short message instead of their long story and then I either can't talk to them anymore or they disappear. Is it because my character's lawful good?

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Casters

I don't think it's because you are lawful good.
    Where and when are you trying to recruit them?

• CastersCasters Member Posts: 20
    @UnderstandMouseMagic

I'm trying to recruit Minsc in Nashkel during chapter two, before completing the mines, and Xan in the Nashkel Mines before fighting Mulahey.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Have you installed some kind of mod? Xan and Minsc both should be fine with you being a goody-goody.
  • bryanw1995bryanw1995 Member Posts: 6
    You might have a low charisma score. Put up a leader with high Charisma, or just save game before recruiting them and keep trying until you pass the Charisma check.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Casters said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic

I'm trying to recruit Minsc in Nashkel during chapter two, before completing the mines, and Xan in the Nashkel Mines before fighting Mulahey.

I have no idea why you can't recruit Minsc.

But with Xan you may have to kill Mulahay first.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    You know, a screenshot or two would help so we don't have to guess around...

My assumption is the same as @byranw1995. You've got too low a reaction modifier due to a combination of low charisma and reputation (?), which makes certain NPCs unwilling to join you. These are what Minsc and Xan say if they don't like you:

"My hamster does not like your tone. Away with ye." - Minsc

"I thank you for my rescue but I must leave quickly. I wish you well in your struggle, though it is surely lost." - Xan
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    For Xan I'm pretty sure you need to have the moonblade with you when you talk to him otherwise he will just thank you and leave. As mentionned by bryanw1995, charisma also affect who will join. I once did a game with a score of 6 and some NPC would not join me, like Yeslickk and Viconia, but I think Minsc joined.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Francois said:

For Xan I'm pretty sure you need to have the moonblade with you when you talk to him otherwise he will just thank you and leave.

No. If you don't have the Moonblade, he'll still join you, but immediately asks you to find the Moonblade.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Oh, I never checked in the in the EE, but I'm fairly certain it used to be like that in the olden days. But that was long ago; I don't remember stuff too good.
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    No, Francois. It was like that in the original as well. He will ask you to find the Moonblade for him.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    I know that if your charisma score is low, Viconia can't be recruited even if you saved her, she'll just say something and leave, not sure if it's caused by SCS, most likely no.
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2016
    It was in the original BG, IK.

A LOT of things have a NPC reaction roll built in, especially quest rewards. For example, that dude in the FAI that wants you to clear his house in Beregost of spiders. He gives you 6 Antidote potions if the person talking to him to start the quest has 18 Cha. If I use Khalid to talk to him, he doesn't give him the 6 pots.

Quest rewards also changes with NPC reaction. A low rep party is fighting an uphill battle all the way in this game.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    If I remember correctly, a low charisma score actually has an effect on multiple party members joining you. Tiax is the one that sticks out most in my mind, because I was so excited to recruit him, until I got to him and found out he wouldn't join me unless my charisma was at least 13 (I think it was 13, anyway).
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    You *can* use other party members to speak to the low-CHA hating character.

For example, if you want to recruit Viconia, but have excessively low CHA, you can just have Imoen talk to her and she'll join right up :D