Skip to content

kit idea arcane scholar of candlekeep

DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
I saw this kit in nwn, and i liked.
what do you think how can it implement into bgee ? Because beamdog implement dnd 3 prestige classes like blackguard, i want to know how do you do with this. whats progression should be ?

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Metamagic as it appears in 3rd edition would be quite difficult to implement. I'll look into it though.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    I only think about bgee like class, as the dragon disciple is not the correct copy of 3e class.
    The easiest maybe the quicken spell, as passive ability it should lower casting time, or as active ability do the same. Maybe metamegic implement as active abilities.
    What i dont know is it a mage class or a bard class suit more ?
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Danacm said:

What i dont know is it a mage class or a bard class suit more ?

You might want to look into Nahal's Reckless Dweomer if you want to get a faux metamagic system going @Aquadrizzt
    Other than that, I'd be much easier to just translate the particular class benefits into simpler abilities, like reduced casting time, some sort of aura cleansing power perhaps, and an amplification of caster level, plus a passive bonus to saving throws that improves with level.
    Something like a bonus to spell scribing chance (if that's even doable, never dabbled in it) or an extra spell casting on top of the standard progression every once in a while would also nicely reflect the nature of this prestige class.
    spell scribing is nice ability idea, and ability that improve caster level is good way to empower spell temporarily. yeah it can be both @God , but what disadvantages need to add for this class ?
    Here are some possibilities (if one is willing to discard the "you expend a spell slot three levels higher than the spell you cast" feature that is tied to metamagic in 3rd edition).

All of these abilities would also require overriding aura-cleansing (because Alacrity ruins everything) to prevent their benefits from applying beyond a single spell, but I think you could argue that such a drawback would make sense thematically ("metamagic is physically and mentally taxing").

- Empower: Your caster level for the spell is increased by X.
    - Quicken: Your casting speed for the spell is increased by X.
    - Maximize: Your spell deals maximum damage.
    - Extend: Your spell lasts X% longer.
    - Silent: Your spell can be cast while silenced.

The last one is basically a 1 round duration Vocalize. These are the ones that I think would be (relatively) easy to implement.
    I have an idea for bard kit, like a loremaster it wanders and gather arcane knowledge. It looses pick pocket, and never advance song, and use only mage weapons.
    But gain 2-3 spell slot for all 6 spell levels (even for lvl 8 spells with pnp bardic spellcasting) and the abilities as you mentioned @Aquadrizzt mainly the first 3 . And i like the early scroll scribing ability
    I dont know the metamagic abilities are doable or not.
    @Danacm, the ones I listed are ones I know would be implementable (barring some weird behavior on the part of the engine).
    Cool :D
    I think about the mage kit, but it may need some disadvantage but idk what will be fine, maybe 2 banned schools, but its as i heard hard to implememt correctly.