Skip to content

When to dual class my character, a fighter to fighter/mage?

I would like to dual class my human, lawful good fighter to a fighter/mage, and do it at the level best for making a strong, capable and dangerous character.

Could not find any answer in forums or walkthroughs, so I would appreciate any thoughts.
thanks,
gorris

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I think the most common time is actually in the sequel, around level 9. That gets you grandmastery in your chosen weapon and as many levels as possible with the boosted hit dice from being a Fighter. And as scrolls can give you a hefty chunk of EXP in the second game, you'll catch back up and get your Fighter levels back in no-time.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I prefer to dual at level 7, as soon as I've got the extra 1/2 APR, so as to complete the dual within BG1. (This also lets you reach grandmastery in BG1.)

On the other hand, if you want a F->M who can still contribute usefully to physical combat throughout BG2, then I'd probably hold out until level 13 for the dual; level 9 seems to me a rather unsatisfactory compromise, neither one thing nor the other.

(On the third hand, I'm more sympathetic to the level 9 dual for a F->T than for a F->M, but that's not what this thread is about.)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I always do level 9 with my kensai/mage , and I put all the points into dagger so then I can use firetooth and destroy baddies and then when I dual over to a mage at level 9 fighter, I cap my mage level to level 5 and wait until I hit 250 000 xp so then I can skip all the way to level 10 without wasting one of my proficiencies on a garbage mage proficiency,

also if your fighter level hits level 9, your mage level can hit level 30, which is the highest level a mage needs to be to get all of their spells ( or maybe its level 29, don't remember, all I know is that if you have your fighter hit level 13 than dual over to mage, you will be missing some spells)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    gorris75 said:

Could not find any answer in forums or walkthroughs, so I would appreciate any thoughts.

Hehe, considering how much this have been discussed, I find this comment very funny :)

Since this is the BG1 forum I assume you mean for that game: level 7 is the best choice since you will hit level 8 of mage and unlocking fighter again.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    The only thing I would warn you about dual classing to mage in bg1 - is if you build your party around your character doing most of the bashing/slashing work in combat and then you suddenly take it away and have to settle for slinging or quarter staffing stuff whilst never hitting, you may have to jostle your party around pretty significantly for a little bit lol. Particularly if you play with a full 6 man party, you won't end up leveling to 7 until sometime around Baldurs gate - granted there's likely still enough EXP to be had to reach mage 8 with whatever content remains + Sword Coast + SoD if you've got that going.

If you choose to hold off until BG2 or SoD, there are some benefits to doing so - mainly that if you know the game well enough you can get yourself quite a lot of quest XP and skip some of the early mage levels essentially right to start bg2 lol. Ultimately, I like to have my mage spells sooner rather than later so 7 pleases me best.

Also you could take Xan, and then have *two* magic + sword fellows in the front of the party :D
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    And then Xan gets sneezed on and drops faster than you can say his name.
    I would strongly suggest making Xan your tank for just one game to see the power and the glory and intense struggle lol.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    I like to dual at 10 because I'm weird and like rounded numbers, it has nothing to do with stats and everything to do with being crazy.

Level 10 Fighter
    Level 30 mage

It just looks better :p
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited November 2016
    If playing in BG1, the best level to dual from a fighter is level 3, except with a mage. The best level to dual to a mage is never. A fighter/mage multi is better, at least in BG1, due to the way proficiency points are earned among the classes.

If you want to dual to a mage, dual at level 3. The biggest benefits you get from a fighter are given to you at level 1, and level three provides the biggest boost to weapons effectiveness for your character. That what the fighter is for, putting damage on target.

Level 7 may be good if that extra half attack means a lot to you, though. I personally think it's a terrible trade-off, as it doesn't really come into play until the final stages of the game if you have a party with you. Tales of the Sword Coast content can help with this issue, admittedly.

Also be warned that you cannot reach grandmastery with a mage dual... well not comfortably. Only thieves, clerics and druids will attain grandmastery from a fighter class, as their profs come in at 4 and 8, so you get two if dualing at 3, and one more if dualing at 6 or 7.

You get 0 from a mage unless you dual at level 3, as the mage proficiency coincides with the fighter level 6, and you need at least one proficiency from a higher level to add to the previous class' proficiencies. But if you dual at level 3, you give up on grandmastery all together, AND the extra 1/2 attack.

A mage dualed from a level 7 fighter will have to avoid leveling up to lvl 6, and wait all the way until there is enough XP to attain level 8 if you want that precious proficiency point to add to your fighter side's high-mastered weapon. In this case I think it's better to dual at level 6 fighter, forgoe the 1/2 attack, then make up for it when leveling up from level 5 to 7 as a mage, and adding that last proficiency point to the mastered weapon.

Or you could just forget about grandmastery.

The unpopular truth is that the half attack that comes in at fighter level 7 is not necessary for dualed characters because they can attain grandmastery, where a single class fighter cannot. Attempting to get both that 1/2 AND grandmastery is undermined by the introduction of Haste after the cloakwood mines. A hasted level 7 fighter/mage with GM (2.5 APR) has the same number of attacks as a hasted level 3-6 fighter/mage with GM (2 APR). They both have 3 attacks.

Dualing at level 3 is quick, easy, and gives you loads of options as a fighting mage. A bit light on the fighting and THAC0 side, but definitely worthy of the title "capable and dangerous". Your mage will have access to heavy Xbows, longbows and thac0 boosting items from their fighter pedigree, and haste will make up for not dualing at level 7.

If you are dualing in BG2 or beyond, then just dual whenever you achieve what you want from the fighter. 9 or 13 are typically the most popular options. If you are impatient, go with 9 in Irenicus' dungeon. If you are willing to wait, go with 13. Be mindful that 13 is only really attractive to the most ardent of ass-beaters. Improved Haste and partymates all negate the importance of that extra half attack. Even non-optimized parties will deliver enough attacks to handle most situations, and I see little reason to wait an extra 1000000 XP for a half attack that is just gravy in the first place.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

And then Xan gets sneezed on and drops faster than you can say his name.

Gallenger said:

I would strongly suggest making Xan your tank for just one game to see the power and the glory and intense struggle lol.

I actually like using xan a lot, I never put him in melee, just give him a sling a ling ding a ling, and have him destroy baddies with his enchantment magic, especially emotion hopelessness ( quite the coincidental spell for him to be casting now that I think of it) and hold monster :3

lol yeah I've used Xan several times - but one day I decided you know what, I'm gonna do a run where that moon blade does *all* the work - I remember seeing it as a kid back when the game first came out and getting so excited - and then looking at Xan's class... and again at Xan's stats... and knowing full well I'd never get to see him use it on a regular basis. So with my adult brain I set out on a glorious mission to put, and keep, Xan at the front and it was a very rewarding experience :D

Mixing in evil characters + Ajantis for added fun.
  • gorris75gorris75 Member Posts: 60
    Thanks to all for the tips.
    gorris