I've had a number of ideas of the years, to nerf all sorts of stuff in these games. I never implemented most of them, because most players don't like stuff to be nerfed. But maybe it's worth creating a collection of nerfs, to give longtime players a bit more challenge and force people out of their comfort zones...? Maybe call is something like DMAJ - for "the Dungeon Master's A Jerk."
If people like the idea and contribute possible components, we could code it up as a compilation of hardcore tweaks. Here are some notes I have in my phone:
- No Murder XP: reduce XP for kills so no grinding - you rely on quest XP
- PnP Dual-Classing: you can't continue up to specialization/grandmastery in any more weapons after dualling away from warriors classes
- Less-Improved Alacrity: add 1-second disable spell buttons to every spell
- PnP Immunity spells: the Immunity: [school] spells will only block a single spell from the indicated school.
- Sorcerers Can't Cast from Scrolls: what it says
- No Cast & Fight: have every spell set APR to 0 for a few seconds
- No Chugging Potions: make all potions like Goodberries - can't drink them from the inventory screen
- Visible Staff of the Magi: make its invisibility a usable ability instead of an instant equipping effect
- Speed weapons only work in main hand: what it says
- Further: *all* passive effects only work in main hand
All of those are definitely possible to do, as a technical matter. (Though the last two would be a bit tricky.)
Would this be a waste of time? Or would people be interested in it? Does anyone have other ideas for little hardcore mod components? Go ahead and post them here, and we'll see what's possible to implement.