Skip to content

Rolled a 98... now what?

Let me preface this by saying that the highest thing that I have ever rolled above a 94 is a 99 that I proceeded to promptly roll past. I am about a year of playing in and despite being an alt-aholic, I have managed to make it through 1 and half way through 2.

I have nailed down my play style for the most part, and I've been torn between an archer or a Cleric/Ranger for some time. Question is... I rolled a 98 on an elven archer. Would it be such a great experience with Cleric/Ranger that I should consider trying to make one as well, or just thank the gods that I rolled a 98 and play the damn Archer?

After perusing what feels like every post ever made, let me clarify that there is no question in my mind that I would play anything other than one of those two classes at this point. I have considered every other possibility have rolled every other possible character and will not consider anything else for a full playthrough until I have done it with one of these two.

Comments

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited December 2016
    Hun Tactics (i.e. Mass Kiting) work incredibly well in the first game, and fairly well until about halfway through the second game (I completed SoA but not ToB with a Fighter > Cleric).

I would recommend Cleric/Ranger (even though the Druid spell cheese has been patched away) so that you can at least spec in hammers and wear the ankheg plate in BG1 if you're not using the stealth feature. With that said, I'm biased toward anything with cleric levels since I got as far as the Balthazar fight with my Fighter->Cleric and that char was the farthest I ever legitimately got. Either way, slings get the strength bonus on damage as well as the dex bonus to hit.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    What's an "alt-aholic"?
    Addicted to "alt".............. :/

That said, you will have a blast with an archer all through the saga.
    It's always said that BG is where archers shine.
    But I played the "Kivan" mod where he is an archer and he killed every dragon in the game from start of SOA to finish of TOB, on insane.
    (it was actually embarrassing for the other NPC, they were all suffering from "arrow envy" by the end, wouldn't talk to him and spit in his drinks when he wasn't looking)
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    @UnderstandMouseMagic

alt is a term often used in MMOs to denote a character that isn't your "main" so in this case it's the equivalent to restartitis I would think. As to say, addicted to alternate characters and rerolling new characters.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited December 2016
    Get a Ranger/Cleric, but use EEKeeper so he can use bows. I played an elven archer once. Extremely powerful in BG1 but it got boring in BG2 so I stopped. An archer is a one trick pony and I like a character who is more polyvalent.

Alternatively, go with a shaman. They can use bows and I like how they are iike a divine sorcerer.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    And shaman come with free Find Illusions, so you won't have to put any points in it on your thief friends.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Rosx said:

... just thank the gods that I rolled a 98 and play the damn Archer?

Yes! That's a terrific roll, don't waste it.

Go with the C/R next time! (And because of their high minima, it's quite easy to get a very good roll on a C/R too.)
  • RosxRosx Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for your input everybody! My Archer is unreasonably strong. So strong, in fact, that I am essentially steamrolling the first half of the game. Meta knowledge is doing nothing to stymie my rapid progression. LOL.

@Valmyr
    Thank you for the introduction to the word restartitis! This whole time I thought that I was an addict and it turns out I just had a condition. Hahaha.

I honestly really like the shaman suggestions. It is tough for me to enjoy games that I am steamrolling, and my understanding of the game is not deep enough just yet for me to enjoy the increased difficulty in the gameplay slider. Just negotiating the mechanics of the game at a normal setting still offers a reasonable challenge for me, as long as I had a character with clear strengths and weaknesses that require tactics over brawn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    I absolutely love rangers (I've rolled all kits in multiple playthroughs). Archers and stalkers are just so much fun. I know they both have their strengths and weaknesses but I think that's why I like them so much - because they aren't super awesome by the end of the trilogy like some other classes/kits. But I think out of all my runs, my favourite character was a human ranger (level 8) dualed cleric. I change the .ini file so cleric/rangers can get Druid spells too. They are just huge. Awesome tanking from iron skins, cleric buffs and full plate, dual wield hammer/flails, caster disruptions with insect plagues and my favourite - stealth + turn undead and watch things blow up.

Either way, I hope the restartitis doesn't get the better of you and that you actually finish a trilogy run with your archer. Good luck!
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    The problem with Archers is that they don't really need good roll, especially if you are thinking of taking it to BG2. Anything with 18 Dex and you are set, really. You don't even need 18 Str for the composite longbows because you will be using shortbows in BG2. Rolling 98 for one is kinda wasted, which is unfortunate.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Unless you WANT to use composite longbows.
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    Even then, 18 in 3 stats (Str, Dex, Con) = 54. The others can be anything, really, except Wis with a minimum of 14. You can make do with a roll as low as 74 if you really want composite longbows.
  • NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    Off topic, but what art did you use for your PC's portraits? It's gorgeous.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426

Off topic, but what art did you use for your PC's portraits? It's gorgeous.

If you download Portraits Portraits Everywhere mod, unzip it, in PPE folder, go into Portraits, a file named CHLOE.bmp is what u r looking for, though I don't know the credit, you can try using google image tools to find out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Now you play.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    The artist did a fantastic job, I'm actually using some of his/her works as portraits now :)

http://sharandula.deviantart.com/art/Joanna-Ryder-498319421

so Joanna Ryder the pirate girl :D
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Raduziel said:

Now you play.

And hope you don't catch restartitis a few hours in.