Skip to content

Ki-Rin

In all long history of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights, I have yet to see the Ki-Rin come to life on my monitor. Dating way back to the original Monster Manual, way before Solars and Devas, the Ki-Rin was at the time perhaps the most powerful good-aligned creature in D&D. It had access to 9th level mage spells, along with some good resistances, special abilities, and extra-planar properties.

It's origins come from Asia, where it was sometimes called a Qilin, and it appears in stories from ancient China and Japan. It even appears in some Buddhist writings. In all cases, the appearance of a Ki-Rin (Qilin) is a good thing. In truth, there is some evidence that this magical beast may have some association with the very real Giraffe, which has the horn-like protrusions, multi-colored coat, and fantastic appearance. How appropriate then, for bits of the Ki-Rin to be added to Magritte's "Le Blanc-Seing" in the final cover art for Styx's "Grand Illusion" album ... but I have not seen this elusive creature since. Would not the appearance of a Ki-Rin in a new Beamdog game be a good thing?
ThacoBellNoobaccaCrevsDaak

Comments