Skip to content

My game is back to being slow

Charn_AimCharn_Aim Member Posts: 22
When I first got this game that I absolutely love (and have since the freaking 90's), it was so slow it was unplayable. So I did some searching and googling and tried out a bunch of things until I finally got the game to work.

Now, ever since the fancy, freaking update, my game is back to being so slow it's unplayable! What the Hell?! I am not computer savvy. I'm just a huge fan of a game that cost me actual money. I'm angry and fed up. And to make things even more irritating... I still want to play this game! But I can't.

So if anyone has some ideas about what I can do I would be very grateful. The only thing I ask is to keep things simple for a computer-stupid person like me.

Comments

• BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Could you still post a bit what hardware you use nowadays?
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    Hi.

As an IT-expert I will gladly help you solve your issues. Now I don't know your specs(Graphic cards, CPU etc) So if you could post them here it would be helpful. Do you know how to do it? Otherwise I'll help you look it up! :)

However, here are some common things you could try:

1. Disable new graphic settings that was added in 2.X
    2. Update your drivers (Once again, if you don't know how to, I'll gladly help you)
    3. If you are a steam user, backup your save-games and revert back to 1.3, see if the game still lags there.

I mostly check the forum every 10 minutes, so I'll be here once you have answered. :)
    ronaldo
  • Charn_AimCharn_Aim Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2016
    I know it's been six months since your reply but I've been too frustrated to attempt to try any of your helpful suggestions. I've been wanting to try playing the game again recently and, wouldn't ya know it, it hasn't fixed itself during my six month snit.

In my defense, all three of your suggestions are way over my head. I don't know how to do any of those things. If you have the time and inclination to elaborate I would be very grateful. You will probably have to simplify things as much as you can and be prepared to answer painfully obvious questions.

I was able to get the game to move faster by disabling "Alternate Rendering" but that scrambled the portraits, crashed the game when I clicked on "Records," and the game also crashed when I tried "New Game" and got to the select gender section.

So that's all I got by way of new information.
    Post edited by Charn_Aim on
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hi
    If you could provide a directx summary that would show what version of Windows you have, what graphics card and driver and what version(s) of directx you have.

Press "Windows" and "R" keys together
    (Windows key has four rectangles & is to the left of the spacebar)
    That should open up the Run dialogue box
    Type dxdiag into the text box and click OK
    Once the directx tool starts, leave it running a few seconds so it gathers information
    Click Save all Information and save to somewhere like c:\desktop
    Once saved, use the "Attach Image/File" icon on this page
    (located just below "Leave a Comment" and fourth from the right)
    Navigate to c:\desktop and attach the file, before posting the comment
    Thank you for the clear instructions. I was actually able to follow them.
    OK
    Looks like there are a couple of things you can try in order.
    Both should be reasonably straightforward but if you get stuck please come back and ask.

I can't see a reference to directx 9.
    Installing this alongside directx 11 will probably be enough to get the game running.
    Install from this link

Your graphics card is showing a driver date of 2013.
    Drivers from 2015 are available and are likely to improve your gaming experience.
    I would suggest trying the automatic driver update function at http://www.geforce.com/drivers

(this was the manual result I'm basing information on but easier to use the utility in case of an incorrect search parameter)
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/82758
    RelSundanJuliusBorisov
    I've hit a bit of a snag (for me) while downloading Directx. It's asking, "Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files." I don't know where to put them. Suggestions?
    I would tend to make a new folder, e.g. click browse, go to the top expand "This PC" and highlight Downloads. Click OK and then add \directx to end up with something like
    C:\Users\Richard\Downloads\directx

It will then ask to create the folder, click ok.

Make a note of where you extract to, as once extracted you'll then need to find that location in File Explorer (Windows and E keys) and run the DXSETUP.exe.

Once installed, that extracted location is no longer required so can be deleted if you wish.
    JuliusBorisovCharn_Aim
    Ok, now I'm getting this message: "An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine problem." Needless to say, I have no clue how to proceed from here.

My poor computer is a bit old. I try to only play old games on it. And I also rely on the kindness of strangers. Thank you so much for your time and patience.
    Can you find those files (I think they will be in one of c:\windows\system or c:\windows\system32). If you can, attach them here as per the dxdiag file.

Without that information you could try the below

Check for corrupted files e.g. as http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2529331/install-directx-dxerror-log.html

Run the dxsetup.exe as administrator if available from a right-click of the file.

Consider whether any security software (antivirus etc.) is detecting it as a threat.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited December 2016
    I tried the CMD scan and it found nothing wrong. I looked for the files in c:\windows\system32 but couldn't find them. If my antivirus is detecting them as a threat I don't know how to find out. I also tried to run as administrator but it seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

What really bugs me is that I had the damned game running great until the cursed update!
    There is program called Slim Drivers that you could try. Fixes updates for drivers for you easily.
    I used Slim Drivers. DirectX tells me it was successfully installed. I updated my drivers (I think). However, my game is still unplayably, excruciatingly slow. Is there anything else I could try?
    @Gate70 what was that graphic option that caused lag for some players? It was introduced in 2.x

I'm at my girlfriend's place right now and I just woke up. Let me get home and I'll carefully go through it. I'll help you tomorrow.
    I'm afraid I don't know about the graphic option. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not in my game. I am capable of following instructions but I am still woefully computer ignorant.

As for the wait... I spent six months pouting and not playing this game just out of spite. A few more days will not cause me any lasting damage.

I did remember something. I don't know if this information is useful but even when my game was playable, the opening intro and all of the movies stuttered terribly. And they still do. Playing with the frame rate in the baldur.ini file did nothing. Neither did shifting the compatibility in Properties. I've been trying all that stuff and my game is still frustratingly unresponsive. Of course I may have been doing it wrong.
    In your game options, there should be an option to toggle something ON/OFF. It's not hard, I just need to check what option it is. I'm home in 40 minutes more or less.
    If you mean the Alternate Renderer, I have already tried turning that off. It scrambles the portraits and crashes the game when I click on records. It also crashed when I tried a new game.
    RelSundan
    It sounds to me as if directx and / or the graphics driver is still an issue. Could you provide an updated directx file please.

When in game, what does the Options (O) -> Graphics screen show e.g. as below (value should change when using the alternate renderer so the information for each would be helpful)

JuliusBorisov
    I tried taking a screenshot but ended up with just black with a white square. So here it is copied faithfully:

Alternate Renderer ON:

DirectX 9.0c
    running on GeForce 6150SE nForce
    430/integrated/SSE2
    driver provided by NVIDIA Corporation

Alternate Renderer OFF:

OpenGL version 2.1.2 - build XXXX
    running on GeForce 6150SE nForce
    430/integrated/SSE2
    driver provided by NVIDIA Corporation
    Gate70
    Thanks, that is showing DirectX (and OpenGL) are both suitable. Did you update your graphics card driver, and if so could you rerun the directX report and attach the results.

We may be coming to the point where your graphics card is unable to run the game. If that is the case and you purchased on Steam, you could try reverting back to version 1.3 of the game if that ran acceptably, it is available as a beta on Steam.
    JuliusBorisov
    Okay, here it is. Thank you so much for your help.
    Sorry, missed your reply @Charn_Aim

Given the graphics card and directx updates, the only things left I can think of are to check the in-game options under graphics, e.g. hardware mouse or sprite outlines. Does the game run quicker with the UI hidden (can be toggled with the H key while on the main game screen).
    JuliusBorisov
    No. It's all still slow. Given all that, I've decided to try going back to the 1.3 beta. It's a bummer but it might work. I was looking forward to the update. Thank you so much for all your useful information. It's not your fault that my computer is old. The poor, geriatric hamsters who power it are surely nearly dead.

Also, thank you all for your patience and willingness to give me instructions and lessons. I learned new stuff and that is always a win! If you ever have a brainstorm and think of something new to try, I'm definitely game.
    Gate70