Skip to content

"Justice" and its implementation in the Forgotten Realms

There has been numerous threads about alignments on these forums, especially questions like "what is lawful" or not. This time, I want to ask something slightly different however; what the heck is "justice"?

No, seriously, I have no idea!

There is a saying that justifying ones action is only for the just. But what does "being just" entail, exactly? Being a lawful aligned person (or worse, a paladin :p )? Working in a court as advocate, barrister, or judge? Being a follower of Torm, Amaunator, Bahamut, or Kelemvor... who all four have the Justice domain? Does that mean that neither people nor deities with other alignments than lawful good or lawful neutral can't be just as well? Does the mental construct of justice not function with, say... evil?

Most important of all, whose justice is the setting even talking about in the first place?
Is it some fundamental outer force of existance like the rule of three (good, neutral, evil)? Is it the country's justice? The religion's justice? Or the self administered justice of individuals?

When does one draw a line between justice and retribution? One could argue they are one of the same, depending on whose justice we're talking about. Yet they're two separate portfolios when it comes to deities.

Questions, questions.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Well, technically Hoar should also count as part of the "just gods club". Being the deity of Poetic Justice and all. However interestingly enough he does not grant the Justice domain himself, but rather the Retribution one instead. In the same vein, Tyr is known as the God of Justice, yet also grants the Retribution domain rather than the Justice domain.

Which makes it even harder for me to distinguish both concepts from one another. When it comes to D&D, I feel that the concepts of justice and retribution are indeed two sides of the same coin which cannot be separated. Really, it would be less confusing to just fuse them together and be done with it. :expressionless:

For now, I think that justice should not be tied to the forces of good only. As this concept really is more of a grey area than a white and black one. If we interpretend "justice" as being "the right thing for each person individually", it varies too much from person to person. In that case, it cannot be guaranteed that the right thing is also a good thing. At least not when it involves others.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The perception of justice changes with each person, it is based entirely on personal ideals and codes.
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    We also can't forget that there's probably some oversight happening on the part of the writers, which is somewhat understandable, given that there are just so many gods in the Forgotten Realms setting.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Justice is simply another word for "onlyfrost."
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    I'd say, Justice - is when you get what you deserve within the law you are supposed to obey as a member of society.
    Degrees and forms of punishments and rewards are a matter of time\law\traditions and so one, but general principle is as universal as the common definition of "bad" - "something I do not wish upon myself".
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    Justice is just vengeance that a set of ethics approves. When enough people ascribe to that set of ethics, we accept that action as just. When too few people ascribe to that set of ethics, we call the action unjust.

I feel like there are many stories in the FR where a person feels wronged (note, they may not necessarily actually be wronged) and goes to the traditional source of justice to mete out an appropriate punishment on their transgressor. When their request for justice is interpreted as vengeance and denied, they may go to an "evil" god who will give them the power to enforce their own set of ethics. To the person who thinks they have been wronged, the evil god is a source of justice. The good gods get labelled with justice because they fit the definition by a widely accepted standard of ethics.
    @Empyrial vengeance is not necessarily tied to justice. All that it requires is for a wronged to be fixed.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    @ThacoBell In most cases though, that fixing process involves some sort of action against the wrong doer. I'm going to use a rather extreme example: if a person physically assaults me (we're assuming my attacker is acting with malicious intent and I've done nothing to provoke them, etc. for the sake of the argument if that's ok with you), is it a just outcome if I make a full and complete recovery? Or is it just my assailant is punished somehow? I think many people would decide whether or not an outcome is just based on the actions against the aggressor. So even if I completely heal from the assault, many people would consider it unjust for the assailant to avoid punishment even if the wrong (damage to my person) was entirely fixed.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I think we can gain insight about "Justice" from real life. When a criminal is arrested, we say, "She was brought to justice."

The topic is treated in a myriad of crime dramas, soap operas, science fictions, etc., on television and in movies. The story usually goes that someone, either a civilian or an officer of the law, wants "to take the law into her own hands", and see that a (usually violent) criminal is punished, because "the system" is failing in some way, either to "bring justice" to the perpetrator at all, or else is being too slow about it, because of due process.

The story then sets up a contrast between "justice" and "vigilantism" or "revenge", where justice is right and good, but vigilantism is wrong and evil. Often the perpetrator of the crime must be let go or left unpunished rather than allowing the "good" characters in the story to "descend" into "evil" vigilantism.

A lot of this kind of story conflict is based on, for us Americans, our Constitution. So, does it apply to the D&D universe?

To some extent, I think it does, where "the Constitution" is replaced by "the teachings of Tyr", or "the teachings of Helm", or Torm, or the "God of Justice" of your choice.

So the fanatical paladin, or the Flaming Fist who acts as though "I AM the Law!" all the time, may be a bad stereotype created by thoughtless D&D players and writers, and a failure of imagination.

I think Keldorn's stoic, quiet, and thoughtful nature was a step in the right direction in creating a character who is a thoughtful servant of Justice, although he betrays his principles (maybe) with his hatred of Drow and willingness to kill all Drow on sight. It can be argued that his hatred of Drow is completely rational in that world, but that's another discussion.

The well-imagined "servant of Justice" in most good stories always walks the line between Justice and Revenge. That's what makes those characters interesting to play, to watch, or to read about.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I must admit that I feel vigilantism fits more the bill when it comes to the Forgotten Realms than the lofty ideal of indefinable justice. After all: it's nothing more than self administered justice of individuals. While this may not correspond to the official laws of the Realm's numerous societies, it is not evil either. If anything, I'd call it anarchic and thus can be put on the chaotic alignment axis. Depending on the heaviness of the crime.

In a sense every paladin order, every merchant group, as well as the majority of traveling adventure parties can be definited as voluntary associations of persons who organize themselves for the purpose of protecting a common interest. Be it liberty, property, or personal security... a.k.a quests. Which, when we believe the dictionary, is a prime defination of vigilantism.

That being said, it would be folly to just use real world definations of justice, retribution, or vigilantism and paste/copy them directly into a fantasy setting such as the Forgotten Realms. The same wouldn't work with super hero standards either, I'm afraid.

Does anyone know how Ed Greenwood, R.A Salvatore, Jeff Grubb and the various other authors of the franchise define the game world's concept of "justice"? This may help to narrow down its implemented meaning quite a bit.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @former_customer , I was thinking about Batman, too. Good job reading between the lines of my post. :)
    @Empyrial You're not wrong, but Justice does not require action against the wrong doer. I'm thinking of Svar's post above. The evil druid never had to pay for their actions, but the wrong against the farmer was addressed. Justice and revenge are separate. Again though, the idea of justice is different for each person, this is just my perspective.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Turgid piffle! If he's a philosopher, then I'm a dutchman ... argh, wat er gebeurt met mij? Plotseling Ik wil een tulp groeien ...
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111

Turgid piffle! If he's a philosopher, then I'm a dutchman ... argh, wat er gebeurt met mij? Plotseling Ik wil een tulp groeien ...

Isn't that veerd?
  • EinhardtEinhardt Member Posts: 53
    edited January 2017
    I think the reason that it's so hard to define what justice is is simply because justice doesn't exist (even abstractly). It's something people want so badly to exist so they make a word for this concept. You can only discuss the sense of the word but to apply it to situations, even hypothetical ones, would just make it contradict itself. And in the setting of D&D this is also true. Justice doesn't exist but people believe that it does.

If I am wrong and justice does exist, just there is no criteria for people to objectively decide what it is, then at least it's equivalent to not existing. If there is a sound that no one (even non-human observers) can hear it makes no difference whether that sound exists or not.
    @Einhardt That depends, justice certainly exists, but it exists according to each individuals code of morals. If something happens to a person and they think it is fair, that is justice for them. The real question is, does justice exist for everyone?
    ThacoBell said:

@Einhardt That depends, justice certainly exists, but it exists according to each individuals code of morals. If something happens to a person and they think it is fair, that is justice for them. The real question is, does justice exist for everyone?

Fair and just are synonyms. They think it is fair = They believe it is just. It doesn't imply there is justice at all. What it can imply is only that they believe so.

I will be convinced that justice exists only if it can be explained in other manner than "people believe that [insert something here] is justice", because perhaps people are just delusional in believing so.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Einhardt - well, IF we could entirely solve the philosphical difficulties I mentioned before (about defining wrongs and evaluating quantities of harm, etc.), THEN we would have an "algebra of justice" in which we could write out equations showing harm done, restitution achieved and retribution imposed, in the general form

JustRetribution(Sinner) = HarmDone({Circumstances, Intentions}) - RestitutionAchieved(Sinner, {Society});
    Justice({Circumstances}) = Equiv(RetributionImposed({Circumstances}, Sinner), JustRetribution(Sinner).

However, as I already noted, the philosophical problems are intractable and we can't reduce them to precise formulae in this way. Nevertheless, the attempt to struggle towards such a solution case by case, both philosophically and in practical action, constitutes the "search for justice", which is a worthwhile attempt to maximise quality of life for the generality of people, even though (obviously) we never fully achieve it ... or a lot of the time, not even remotely achieve it.

However, as I already noted, the philosophical problems are intractable and we can't reduce them to precise formulae in this way.

While I agree that many philosophical problems are like that, in the case of justice it only looks like it's complicated but it's not. It's just … perhaps I could call this a misconception. Justice is defined including the inseparable concept of "wrong", which is in itself a relative quality. Without being able to evaluate actions or situations as objectively right or wrong, the concept of unbiased retribution is flawed. Something that can be measured, e.g. length, can be made equal, but if you can't even measure it how could you make it equal? Even the approach of "an eye for an eye" can be argued that it's not really equal, due to various context. It's just believing in a state of balance between the things you can't even measure.

I believe there could be something immeasurable.
    I don't believe there could be a state of balance between two or more immeasurable things.
    And the reason that we never achieve it is because we're pursuing an imitation of something not existing. There isn't even a glimpse of clue that it exists.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Ah, but there is an objective right and wrong - that was the entire point of my post.
    For instance, what is your stance on necrophilia?
    On cannibalism?
    Yes, yes, some people do not object to one or both, but others yet are born with a tail or six fingers. One mutant does not disprove the existance of a universal sense of justice, which is reached through spontaneous drift when there is no strong cultural antagonism telling you otherwise.
    Likewise, the existance of cannibalistic societies does not disprove divine justice - they do have a strong cultural antagonism telling you cannibalism is a-ok.
    Consider a small child upon seeing a beggar and for the first time realising that man or woman might not eat well or sleep in a comfy bed. This child - again, ignoring the mutants - will suggest we do leave some food or some money for the beggar. Who told the child to do that? The collective unconsciousness did - the same collective unconsciousness that is part of forming divine justice.
    Why do the UN declaration of human rights just feel so damn right as you read it for the first time, before you have truly intellectually considered the validity of each point?
    Why are you rooting for Luke Skywalker and not Darth Vader?

Realize, that we often first form opionons and then later attempt to justify them intellectually, and realize that the opionons you formed are very similar to those of your neighboor - if we look at the broad spectrum. We will of course have different opionons on whether tax A should be 20 or 30%, but we will not have different opionons on whether unprovoked murder should be legalized. Divine justice exists. Suck it up and deal.
  • CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    edited January 2017
    Well to play the devil's advocate here... Well we may teach the child that giving food to a beggar is against natural order of things. If an animal can't collect enough resourses for the winter, it will perish. Just like when it becomes too sickly to run from the predators. It is just how nature works. Cruel, but effective.

And what good does a gesture like that do it in these grand scale of things? Small ammount of food won't help that beggar. He will still be hungry tomorrow. All you have given him is false sense of hope. And now what about other beggers? Why help this one instead of them? Is he more worthy than the hundreds of other poor sods in the same situation? Are you going to be giving food to them as well?
    edited January 2017
    DrakeICN said:

Ah, but there is an objective right and wrong - that was the entire point of my post.
    For instance, what is your stance on necrophilia?
    On cannibalism?
    Yes, yes, some people do not object to one or both, but others yet are born with a tail or six fingers. One mutant does not disprove the existance of a universal sense of justice, which is reached through spontaneous drift when there is no strong cultural antagonism telling you otherwise.

First you tell me there *is* an objective right and wrong. Then you just ignore contrary opinions based on them being minority. This is just argumentum ad populum. If you can just ignore the contrary you might as well ignore everything contradicting your morality —BAM!— your morality now becomes universal —happy coincidence?
    DrakeICN said:

Why are you rooting for Luke Skywalker and not Darth Vader?

Yeah, why are you rooting for a terrorist? Because the story wants to portray him as a hero, perhaps? http://decider.com/2015/12/11/the-radicalization-of-luke-skywalker-a-jedis-path-to-jihad/
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Oh, certainly you misunderstood. I was not talking about popular opionon. I was talking about the divine inner voice, that will reveal itself to all willing to listen. The unwillingness to listen however, is exactly what you would call the popular opionon. For instance, it is in our nature to aid a fellow human of whom we have nothing against (as long as we ourselves are in a position able to help) yet millions of individuals oppose universal healthvare, even going as far as claiming universal healthcare is immoral - again leading back to the eternal struggle between moral justice and divine justice. Take the beggar as an example: many are offended not perhaps by their general existance, but by their local presence. Why would that be, if indeed helping them is immoral? You can simply ignore them! They are offensive, because your inner divine voice calls out to you, threatening the fragile ego. Need and greed hides behind the antagonist, overpowering, even mocking the inner divine voice. Yet you hear it. The inner divine voice speaks to you on a level that transcends logic and reason.

There are some, however, that by nature do not possess an inner divine voice, such as sociopaths. This is what I meant; the existance of such individuals do not disprove divine justice, it only proves some are deaf to it.