Skip to content

How am I suppose to know what hit die an enemy has?

In-game I mean.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    No easy way, I'm afraid. Just a general idea of big and powerful = more hit dice. It also varies with level.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The way I see there are only two kinds of enemy: those who are immune to Sleep, those who aren't.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You can't know that in game, but if you're really curious there's Near Infinity.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Without looking at the game files, or having an old copy of the monstrous compendium, it's hard to know. Umber Hulks seem pretty big and bad, but go down instantly from a death spell. I think it can take down mind flayers, too, so long as they fail their spell resistance, which is not often.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    CrevsDaak said:

If you play the game enough times and make enough (ab)use of Spray Colours/Command/Sleep/Cloudkill/Death Spell, you'll end up memorizing the hit dice of most if not all enemies. :)

Edit: remember that one can never have enough Baldur's Gate. Once you get into the game, the game gets inside you. When you face monsters, remember that you can also beat them by Shapeshifting into a more powerful monster yourself. -Nietzsche.

I... I'm not certain, but I don't think Nietzsche said that...
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Raduziel said:

The way I see there are only two kinds of enemy: those who are immune to Sleep, those who aren't.

In BG2, it's those who are immune to Death Spell and those who aren't.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918

Raduziel said:

In BG2, it's those who are immune to Death Spell and those who aren't.
    Death spell is only good against summons and if you get disrupted by 56 goblins when resting, and still its not the best alternative.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Death spell even works on some human enemies in ToB. I think its really underappreciated.
    RelSundan said:

Death spell is only good against summons and if you get disrupted by 56 goblins when resting, and still its not the best alternative.

Summons and trolls and umber hulks and minotaurs and spiders and quite a few other things. You're really selling it short if you just think of it as the anti-summon spell. I think the really important part is that it's party friendly, unlike Cloudkill.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Keep in mind that hit dice increase dramatically when playing Legacy of Bhaal mode. Pretty much all the hit-dice-based spells are useless there.

RelSundan said:

Summons and trolls and umber hulks and minotaurs and spiders and quite a few other things. You're really selling it short if you just think of it as the anti-summon spell. I think the really important part is that it's party friendly, unlike Cloudkill.
    All of which I don't need to waste a level 6 spell to kill. Yes it has it uses but I don't think I will be putting Spiders to rest with a death spell anytime soon.
    RelSundan said:

All of which I don't need to waste a level 6 spell to kill. Yes it has it uses but I don't think I will be putting Spiders to rest with a death spell anytime soon.

Umber hulks hit pretty hard, and spirit trolls have that annoying STR drain, so it's not as bad as you're making it. Regardless, the point is that it's a BG2 spell that divides enemies based on hit dice, where Sleep has become all but obsolete, no?

RelSundan said:

Umber hulks hit pretty hard, and spirit trolls have that annoying STR drain, so it's not as bad as you're making it. Regardless, the point is that it's a BG2 spell that divides enemies based on hit dice, where Sleep has become all but obsolete, no?
    Oh, I thought you meant Death spell was BG2 version of Sleep, as in My opinion, sleep in bg1 was way more powerul than Death spell in BG2. But sure.
    RelSundan said:

Oh, I thought you meant Death spell was BG2 version of Sleep, as in My opinion, sleep in bg1 was way more powerul than Death spell in BG2. But sure.

Well, nothing's as good as BG1 Sleep. An "I win" button against two-thirds of enemies isn't exactly good game design.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Well, having an AD&D monster manual helps, but the game has its own liberties in some cases. You get to learn the hitdice of monsters via trial and error. Death spell and greater death blow are more useful than most think, though.
    lunar said:

Well, having an AD&D monster manual helps, but the game has its own liberties in some cases. You get to learn the hitdice of monsters via trial and error. Death spell and greater death blow are more useful than most think, though.

By the way, deathbow slays mind flayers and greater death blow slays ulitharids s2
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Yulaw9460 said:

DJKajuru said:

By the way, deathbow slays mind flayers and greater death blow slays ulitharids s2

My backstab chunks both. :p
    Yours , for sure! But Sarevok surely appreciates deathblowing these tentacled freaks.
    DJKajuru said:

Yours , for sure! But Sarevok surely appreciates deathblowing these tentacled freaks.

They've stopped being a threat by TOB, though, so it's not that valuable.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Durenas said:

CrevsDaak said:

If you play the game enough times and make enough (ab)use of Spray Colours/Command/Sleep/Cloudkill/Death Spell, you'll end up memorizing the hit dice of most if not all enemies. :)

Edit: remember that one can never have enough Baldur's Gate. Once you get into the game, the game gets inside you. When you face monsters, remember that you can also beat them by Shapeshifting into a more powerful monster yourself. -Nietzsche.

I... I'm not certain, but I don't think Nietzsche said that...
    @Durenas , he's making a clever paraphrase of the actual Nietzsche quote from BG1.
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/friedrichn124387.html

But maybe you knew that and were making a joke yourself?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Yes, I reckon he was. :smile:
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited January 2017
    AFAIK slimes are the only monsters that qualify for death spell but are actually immune to the kill opcode

if we exclude undead stuff
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

Yes, I reckon he was. :smile:
    And anyway, it's an Einstein quote. Or was it Kurt Cobain? It's hard to know with all those wildly attributed quotes going around on Facebook these days. :)